World of Warcraft ditches upfront fee, all expansions through Legion included with subscription

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

You mean including the subscription and going pure F2P?

No, I mean current expansion as well, or well upcoming expansion.  Paying for both the expansion and a sub seems like an extremely outdated model, I'd be far more tempted to play again if i just had to drop 15 bucks or whatever for a month, instead of 30-40+15.

Edit: holy shit the expansion is $50?   

I just rejoined the other day and leveled up to max level (110). It's neat. About what I remember. They also have "timewalking dungeons" where for a week or whatever an old expansion's dungeons can be queued for. And they fix it up so it's actually somewhat difficult for max level chars.

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

No, I mean current expansion as well, or well upcoming expansion.  Paying for both the expansion and a sub seems like an extremely outdated model, I'd be far more tempted to play again if i just had to drop 15 bucks or whatever for a month, instead of 30-40+15.

Edit: holy shit the expansion is $50?   

This is what SWTOR does, and I wish WOW would do the same too. Allow F2P players to play all the way to max level too.

This seems like an obvious move for them, especially if they want to get players that have been gone a while back into the fold.

I might pick up the expansion and play through for a while. I played the last expansion through to max level and then did a tiny bit of raiding just to see what it was like.

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What's the next big mmo? Will they ever make a new WOW with the new tech?

I don't think they're currently working on one at scale, but I'd be surprised if there isn't at least a small team at Blizz still pursuing a next gen MMO. Their original plan was to follow up WoW with Project Titan, but that ended up falling apart and eventually turned into Overwatch.

I actually got back into it about a month ago. Have really been enjoying myself and picked up Battle for Azeroth. I took a long break, entirely skipping Mists of Pandaria and Warlords or Draenor, and then only doing a little bit of Legion before coming back to finish it. My brain needed all that time to really hit the mental reset. At one point I'd start feeling physically sick just looking at the game because I had burned out on it so incredibly hard.

But now I'm back at it and it's plenty of fun. I'm really looking forward to the communities feature. Essentially it's just in-game, cross-realm Discord channels. Like a Guild-lite that should make organizing things without leaving the game (as well as having plenty of people to talk to even if your guild isn't online) a hell of a lot more efficient and entertaining.

While getting the current expansion as part of the sub would be nice, I'd immediately worry about the quality and effort going into each expansion. As it is, they charge you upfront, and you continue paying your sub. If it was ONLY the sub, would they make it ten times as grindy or as RNG based to keep you playing longer? The expansions already get called out a lot if they're lacking in quality or have big content gaps, I could easily see that problem getting so much worse if they weren't getting paid for them and had to rely on people staying eternally subbed. Sure, they like you subbed right now, but it kinda feels like they're not too concerned if you just buy the expansion and play a month or two, it's still a reliable source of income for them.

As an aside, I remember seeing all those huge WoW sub drop-offs a few years back. I always thought the game was just massively losing popularity, but it looks like the vast majority of those were from Asian territories like China? No doubt the population overall is smaller, but there are still so damned many full population, high pop and medium pop servers. I'm so used to other MMOs that by this point have consolidated into like 3-5 servers total for the entire world.

I generally check back in on wow for a month or two every expansion and enjoy my time with it. There is something to be said for returning to a ten year old character, going in adventures, checking out your once-epic-now-pedestrian mount that you spent a month in Alteric Valley for, etc. I do think they killed it with class design in Legion, my sub rogue has never felt so subtle.