~~ PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! || Millions of Impeaches, Impeaches for Me || House Impeachment Hearings OT ~~

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Predictable

I feel like this pretty accurately shows why Trump thinks never-Trump Republicans are so dangerous. Right now he can count on effectively unanimous support within his party, no matter what he does. If the idea that you could be a Republican that doesn't support Trump spread at all, he'd be in pretty serious trouble.

The statement Meadows gave about breaking the security rules is almost completely unintelligible:

There's no cameras or phones in the SCIF, so I think that those phones actually went in, just because everybody went in,” Meadows told reporters. “I can tell you I actually collected phones and brought them back out. You certainly want a secure environment but at the same time I think everybody wants to hear exactly what's going on.”

Um...what?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The Economist has an interesting article that previews some of the tricks McConnell will likely pull if/when this reaches the Senate: 

An impeachment trial has several trappings of a court trial: lawyers, evidence, jurors, verdict. But the proceedings and judgment are fundamentally political. A removed official has no appeal. And there are no set rules of evidence, no due-process requirement and of course no gag rule for jurors—senators must stay mum inside the chamber but can talk freely to the press.

Michael Gerhardt, a law professor at the University of North Carolina who testified at the Clinton impeachment, says that Republicans could change the rules by majority vote. Democrats could try to filibuster any change, but the filibuster could itself be nixed by a simple majority. Yet there may be little need for Mr McConnell to resort to that. Instead he could choose to limit the witnesses or evidence Democrats could introduce; allow Mr Trump “to assert privilege to prevent anything from being disclosed that the president does not wish to be disclosed”; or “impose a tougher burden of proof”—like the criminal standard of “beyond a reasonable doubt”—to tip the balance in Mr Trump’s favour.

An impeachment trial has several trappings of a court trial: lawyers, evidence, jurors, verdict. But the proceedings and judgment are fundamentally political. A removed official has no appeal. And there are no set rules of evidence, no due-process requirement and of course no gag rule for jurors—senators must stay mum inside the chamber but can talk freely to the press.

Michael Gerhardt, a law professor at the University of North Carolina who testified at the Clinton impeachment, says that Republicans could change the rules by majority vote. Democrats could try to filibuster any change, but the filibuster could itself be nixed by a simple majority. Yet there may be little need for Mr McConnell to resort to that. Instead he could choose to limit the witnesses or evidence Democrats could introduce; allow Mr Trump “to assert privilege to prevent anything from being disclosed that the president does not wish to be disclosed”; or “impose a tougher burden of proof”—like the criminal standard of “beyond a reasonable doubt”—to tip the balance in Mr Trump’s favour.

@Signifyin(g)Monkey‘s quote but with it changed to plain text so it’s readable if you’re using a theme with a white BG :p 

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Again, McConnell won't be leading the Senate during impeachment hearings. All that stuff would have to pass through John Roberts.

I've seen comments that McTurtle has wide latitude to decide what "presides over" means—that he can decide that having Roberts literally just sitting in the room is sufficient.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I've seen comments that McTurtle has wide latitude to decide what "presides over" means—that he can decide that having Roberts literally just sitting in the room is sufficient.

In a technical sense the Senate majority can change its own rules governing the powers of the presiding officer but that's something he'll have to do and it will still have to go through while Roberts presides. I don't see Roberts allowing nonsense that will force him to choose anything on obviously partisan grounds, he's built a career out of throwing up a legal bulwark to pretend cases aren't decided on a partisan basis .. I don't see how he would allow it here and I don't see McConnell trying to push him around either.

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

To the GOP, democracy means only Republicans get to vote.

Or exercise legitimate power. See the illegal impeachment, not confirming Obama's judges in an election year and then saying they will go ahead and do the same for Trump's judges next year, WI GOP removing the power of the governor to veto gerrymandered Congressional maps, etc