Disco Elysium: The Final Cut - PC Gamer interviews the game's narrator, who never acted before

Commissar SFLUFAN

I am determined to have fun drinking and partying and sexing people but I am gonna get this guy's life back on track! I feel bad for him (I guess it's me since I'm playing as him but you know what I mean). The necktie is a particularly fun joke aspect of the game. The writing in the game may be pretentious at times, but to me that's not always an insult. It's very well written.

7 hours ago, Moa said:

Is this game challenging?

It's very dense and has a lot of stuff you can miss, and there's certainly ways to die, but it's not terribly challenging in terms of, like, puzzles or combat or anything, since those things don't really exist. You can still fuck it up, though!

1 hour ago, eggydoo said:

And I thought xcom was bad with failing a 97% stat check.

Well, yeah, you're not supposed to pass every stat check. It's not a game about perfect rolls and correct answers, you can fuck up something at the highest percentage, and I passed a 17% check earlier, so the opposite is also true. I noticed that stat checks that use tools have a flat 3% success rate that can't be changed unless you use the right tool, I really want to see what happens if you pass those checks. Do you just fucking manhandle a container open with your bare hands or something?

Anyway, also unlike XCOM, instead of having a game over or a fucked up mission when you miss a stat check, it just leads to more interesting responses most of the time!

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So this game is just a visual novel for people who want to act like they don’t like visual novels? 

Actually, I was going to say something like this a page or two ago, but didn't want to give the wrong impression. In terms of what you're coming to this game for, it's absolutely story, characters and atmosphere. However, there's far too many stats, mechanics and the like (Such as actually exploring a world, dealing with money, etc) to consider it even remotely a visual novel. More like if a visual novel wanted to try to become a video game and has less anime bullshit?

8 hours ago, eggydoo said:

And I thought xcom was bad with failing a 97% stat check.

This one actually feels pretty fair to me. I've tried a number of low probability events and had them pass to my surprise.

This is in contrast to how XCom *feels* where if its low probability, you will miss certainly, and if it's high probability, maybe you hit.

1 hour ago, legend said:

This one actually feels pretty fair to me. I've tried a number of low probability events and had them pass to my surprise.

This is in contrast to how XCom *feels* where if its low probability, you will miss certainly, and if it's high probability, maybe you hit.

I have not had that luck yet, maybe i'm just bad luck lol.

I think the lowest i've had success was a 42%.  I've had a 97% and a couple 80%ish fail so far.

I think the lowest i've had success was a 42%.  I've had a 97% and a couple 80%ish fail so far.

I passed another low one, 9%, last night. It was magical.

I also like how some of them are really high stat checks and basically end up with someone kind of smiling and shrugging at you like "Hey good job champ" and you're kind of like... why did I expect that to be some big thing? And then sometimes a really easy check will lead to some unlocking of like 8 dialogue options. And failing a few have even given me some positive outcomes just for trying!

It's possible you are just unlucky :p I've had a few 17% ones pass, which is about what you'd expect if it's actually 17%!

If you're refraining from trying low probability checks (I refrain from 3% red checks, for example) then naturally you'll mostly notice unlikely misses rather than unlikely hits, which can taint our view.

But you could indeed just be unlucky. The laws of statistics say that some of the player population is going to have a very bad run in the game and it's not because of invalid dice rolls, but just probability :p 

On 10/22/2019 at 1:28 AM, thewhyteboar said:

The first day I gave myself a heart attack and died, then I reloaded and suffered a mental breakdown 30 minutes later. It's pretty cool. I just need more time to play it.

I hurt myself and died from a heart attack just trying to get my tie down from the fan in the first 2 minutes of the game. If that doesn't spell GOTY I don't know what does.

• Haha 2

I really liked the ending to the game, and immediately rolled a second character with completely different stats and traits. Gonna try to do a superstar/apocalypse run. Convincing everyone the end is coming while also talking about how the cops are gonna blow you away on stage!

For the record, aside from this game, I've never played a CRPG I've liked, yet this instantly shot to one of my favorite games ever. I can't say it'll have that same effect on everyone else of course, but it's at the absolute minimum a huge breath of fresh air after the stale fart that was TOW and the largely stagnant RPG genre as a whole.

This game is dope. I generally have a high tolerance for dialogue centric snooze fests, but this game has been delightfully captivating. I've only managed a few hours so far, but that time seemed to slip away all too fast. Somehow, the game's dialogue and observation systems tap into the same dopamine fire hydrant that MMOs and loot crates exploit. I just want to click one more option to see what the inland empire has to say next. 

I am famous, the end is nigh, and I'm sorry about the whole booze thing. 

1 hour ago, legend said:

I thought you were a fan of DOS2?

I am, but I baaaaarely consider that a CRPG. More like a turn-based strategy game in an RPG setting, but I get your drift. If it counts as one, sure, then the only other CRPGs I liked were Divinity OS 1 and 2! Extrapolate from that what you will.

34 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I am, but I baaaaarely consider that a CRPG. More like a turn-based strategy game in an RPG setting, but I get your drift. If it counts as one, sure, then the only other CRPGs I liked were Divinity OS 1 and 2! Extrapolate from that what you will.

Gotcha. I personally would absolutely classify DOS as a CRPG, for whatever that's worth. At least turn-based with action points style combat is a pretty common pattern for a lot of CRPGs, so maybe those would be of more interest to you? I would certainly say that DOS does it better than anyone though.

19 minutes ago, legend said:

Gotcha. I personally would absolutely classify DOS as a CRPG, for whatever that's worth. At least turn-based with action points style combat is a pretty common pattern for a lot of CRPGs, so maybe those would be of more interest to you? I would certainly say that DOS does it better than anyone though.

He has to twist the genre to fit it into his tastes.

His favorite FPS is Dark Souls!