Disco Elysium: The Final Cut - PC Gamer interviews the game's narrator, who never acted before

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 2 weeks later...

Beat it with the default psyche build and thoroughly enjoyed the journey

Spoiler

even though I felt the ending was a little underwhelming except for the phasmid part.  Which I am also guessing won't trigger unless you completed the side quest.

I am somewhat curious going through it again as possibly a physical build but same time it's gonna be kind of sad that i'll already know what's happening so I fee the experience won't be the same.

6 hours ago, eggydoo said:

Beat it with the default psyche build and thoroughly enjoyed the journey

Hide contents

even though I felt the ending was a little underwhelming except for the phasmid part.  Which I am also guessing won't trigger unless you completed the side quest.

I am somewhat curious going through it again as possibly a physical build but same time it's gonna be kind of sad that i'll already know what's happening so I fee the experience won't be the same.

Spoiler

The ending IS the phasmid part. Everything around that is wrapping up what is an unusual but otherwise perfectly explainable case.

I really want to emphasize just how good this game was. It has stayed with me, it's existential atmosphere and beautiful, ethereal music making you feel a longing for somewhere, a time, a place, you remember but can't go back to. 

Did you guys do the ex-girlfriend/ex-wife (couldn't tell which she was) subplot? That went to some sad and dark places. 

Edit: Also, Divinity: Original Sin 1 + 2 are the definition of CRPG. Similar to the old Baldur's Gate games, Icewind Dale games, or Planescape: Torment. Disco Elysium is also a pure CRPG, just without any combat gameplay beyond rolling the dice on menu actions. 

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I really want to emphasize just how good this game was. It has stayed with me, it's existential atmosphere and beautiful, ethereal music making you feel a longing for somewhere, a time, a place, you remember but can't go back to. 

Did you guys do the ex-girlfriend/ex-wife (couldn't tell which she was) subplot? That went to some sad and dark places. 

Edit: Also, Divinity: Original Sin 1 + 2 are the definition of CRPG. Similar to the old Baldur's Gate games, Icewind Dale games, or Planescape: Torment. Disco Elysium is also a pure CRPG, just without any combat gameplay beyond rolling the dice on menu actions. 

Yeah that was a sad plot point. The other one I really liked and would love to see expanded upon was the stuff with the void (or whatever it was called, blanking now) that you learn about in the church.

19 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah that was a sad plot point. The other one I really liked and would love to see expanded upon was the stuff with the void (or whatever it was called, blanking now) that you learn about in the church.

Yes! The void stuff was fascinating. I wish we could have traveled to a different isola just to get a better visual sense of the pale and traveling through it. I really hope ZA/UM makes more games in this universe.

• 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Disco Elysium: The Final Cut announced as free upgrade for all existing owners (March 2021)
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
162f52ac1364faa60d4a8bde6a7d7955a96ce2e9
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut will be available on March 30th. We are extremely pleased to announce that the release date for Disco Elysium - The Final Cut is March 30th, 2021. That’s right, it’s almost time for the show, people. Let the...

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Disco Elysium: The Final Cut to release on 30 March 2021 as free upgrade for all existing owners
On 3/17/2021 at 2:03 PM, Greatoneshere said:

If you haven't yet played this game you need to do yourself a favor and play this game. One of the best, most insightful games I've played in years.

4 minutes ago, legend said:

Definitely will replay this. What a huge update to a great game.

:thumbup:I need to play this. I watched a quick video review and they couldn't stop raving about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Disco Elysium: The Final Cut to release on 30 March 2021 as free upgrade for all existing owners, update: Launch Trailer

The new voices in Disco Elysium - The Final Cut make it feel more like a tabletop experience than ever (Eurogamer)

But the most notable new addition is full voice acting. Disco Elysium is a wordy game and only patches of it were voiced originally, meaning most of the time you were reading a text box on the right-hand side of the screen. And though the words were (and are) delightful - Disco Elysium has an outrageous sense of humour, and a lovely way of voicing thoughts that really ought to stay in your head - the sheer amount of them could be wearying. This also made the game somewhat quiet and still, as it waited for you to read and catch up. But the addition of audible voices has a powerful effect on this.

Disco Elysium now feels more like an actual tabletop role-playing experience. A kind of narrator describes scenes audibly to you, making it feel as though you're in a live gaming session with a GM. This also frees you up to concentrate less on the words, which is a blessing now you're probably sitting further away from them. And it means people in your house can be pulled into the experience too, should you want them to be - I don't recommend letting your children spectate!

28 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

so did the free version/update add a new listing to steam or is this still the original name in the library?  the store lists as final cut version which is in my library but i just see the regular listing

Same listing, should have had a sizable update yesterday in your library.

Game Information

Game Title: Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Jan 1, 2021)
  • PlayStation 5 (Mar 30, 2021)
  • PC (Mar 30, 2021)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Dec 31, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Dec 31, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 30, 2021)
  • Google Stadia (Mar 30, 2021)

Developer: ZA/UM

Publisher: ZA/UM

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 89 average - 88% recommended

Critic Reviews

Gamefa - Persian - 10 / 10

Disco Elysium was a masterpiece in the field of role-playing games in the same year that it was released, and now with the release of the final cut version, its creators have fixed a few of the game's flaws, such as the lack of full sounding. If you're a fan of role-playing games and enjoy rich fictional titles with plenty of dialogues, don't miss the experience of this game.

IGN - 10 / 10

The Final Cut elevates Disco Elysium from an already phenomenal RPG to a true must-play masterpiece.

Cultured Vultures - 9.5 / 10

Bolstered by new features and quality-of-life upgrades, Disco Elysium remains a clever, uncompromising examination of how hard it is to do something as complicated as exist in the real world.

Press Start - 9.5 / 10

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut is the definitive version of an already brilliant game. It's a melding pot of eccentric characters, thought-provoking social commentary, and a staggering sense of world and place within its setting. Its main narrative might fumble in its conclusion, but everything you'll experience before that is some of the best stuff you can find in this kind of RPG.

Gamer's Palace - German - 94 / 100

On PC, this is a great RPG - and finally one that has deserved the genre title. The console port on PS5 cannot convince me as much, however.

Game Informer - 9 / 10

Disco Elysium can be thoughtful, funny, sad, and profound. To see how it artfully navigates that spectrum, you simply need to play it for yourself

GameSkinny - 9 / 10 stars

Disco Elysium's expanded edition successfully builds upon an already excellent RPG, making it just as relevant today as it was in 2019.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

Disco Elysium was already an excellent game when it first launched, and with The Final Cut, it's been made even better.

Just Push Start - 4.5 / 5

It goes without saying, Disco Elysium – The Final Cut is going to be a divisive experience. Some people are going to love all the dialogue, options, and role-playing elements. Even returning fans will flip at the voiceovers that really make the experience immersive. This just won't appeal to everyone. Some players will want to do more or possibly get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of dialogue, which totals over 1 million words, though for those this appeals to, it will really appeal to.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9 / 10

Even with the handful of bugs this is a unique experience that is very easy to recommend. It's an amazing RPG with an absolutely stunning amount of depth for a game where you're mostly just talking to people. Both the story and cast of characters are highly memorable and no two players will have the same experience. It's really easy to see why PC gamers have been raving about Disco Elysium, this truly is a must-play experience.

Spaziogames - Italian - 9 / 10

Disco Elysium The final Cut is a good port of a masterpiece, and as such, it's highly recommended to rpg fans and to whoever thinks videogaming is more than shooting and fighting.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.8 / 10

Thanks to a unique formula and an absolutely masterful writing, Disco Elysium: The Final Cut manages to compensate for most of its shortcomings with an assortment of additions that enhance the merits of the creative vision of the developer, making the title an indispensable purchase for lovers of the genre.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

A major update to the intricately plotted and highly detailed RPG, that gives players more of what they loved in the original release and the same amount of what they didn't.

PPE.pl - Polish - 8 / 10

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut is still the highest level of story, brilliant atmosphere and wonderful adventure. Unfortunately on PS5 it didn't work out as well as on PC. And although I would give a "nine" for these first features without thinking, there were a lot of mistakes that simply can not be forgotten.

PlayStation Universe - 7 / 10

There are so many aspects of its design in which Disco Elysium stands unmatched. Boasting unparalleled player agency, the sort of writing that makes me deeply jealous and a cast of characters that are resolutely unforgettable, Disco Elysium is easily one of the most intelligent and fascinating RPGs ever made. However, in its current form, the presence of game breaking bugs that prevent you from finishing missions, levels a near fatal blow at Disco Elysium that not even its towering brilliance is sufficient to overcome. I'm sure there's a timeline where all the bugs have been fixed and I'm playing Disco Elysium for the first time, awarding it the 10/10 score it deserves. Right now, this isn't that timeline.

ACG - Buy