Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Diocletian II

PC A Total War Saga: Troy (13 August 2020) - free on EGS for 24 hours on release day, update - "Landscapes of the Aegean" and "Gods and Cults" trailers

In this legendary age, heroes walk the earth. Yet it takes only a single impulsive act to spark a conflict that will shake the world. The Greeks set course for Troy, towards inevitable war and slaughter. For there, on the battlefield before the great city, legends will be born…

TROY is the latest Total War Saga title; inspired by Homer’s Iliad, it focuses on the historical flashpoint of the Trojan War, evolving the series with new period-inspired features. Through Total War’s unique blend of grand, turn-based empire management and spectacular real-time battles, Troy explores this epic conflict from both the Greek and Trojan perspectives – peeling back the layers of myth and legend to reveal the realities that may have inspired them.

25 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is this stand-alone?

Yes - it's like their previous standalone A Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia and A Total War Saga: Fall of the Samurai releases.

A Total War Saga: Troy reinvents its battles for the Bronze Age (PC Gamer)

Two armies, all ordered into neat little rows, hold opposing ends of a battlefield. The sun's out—it's a nice day for a fight—and in the background sits a city, nestled behind stalwart walls. It's A Total War Saga: Troy's deployment phase, the calm before the storm, but any second now a man dressed up as a bull is going to smash into my troops. 

Luckily I've got Achilles on my team, all decked out in gold armour and hopefully sporting some reinforced sandals. Troy's legendary leaders are extremely gifted in combat. They can shrug off being attacked by multiple units, have an array of special abilities and get to show off in duels. The echo of the fantastical stuff established in Warhammer and carried on through Three Kingdom's Romance mode continues here, but it's a lot more grounded. 

A Total War Saga: Troy might have the best campaign gameplay yet (PCGamesN)

Assuming you’re starting a war rather than finishing one, what questions do you ask when considering your next conquest in Total War games? Personally, all my priorities can be distilled in one: ‘can I take it and hold it without pissing off anyone meaner than me?’ Weak neighbours with no friends trigger my conqueror’s Pavlovian response.

I’m excited about A Total War Saga: Troy because it’s made me think differently about this for the first time in ages.

Amazons DLC to be free for Total War Access account holders

You’ll see from the roadmap below that Amazons will be joining the game in September as our first DLC alongside EGS Mod Support (though you can still mod TROY the old fashioned way from launch), and what’s more you can grab Amazons entirely for FREE if you’re a Total War Access  account holder (although this will be a limited time offer!). We’ll add multiplayer in November and Blood & Glory in October, and plenty more before the end of the year – and we’ll have even more detail on Amazons to share with you next week. 

Troy-Roadmap-JUL-2020-V2-1024x576.jpg

How not to play as Sparta in Total War Saga: Troy (PC Gamer)

Troy is shaping up to be a characterful Total War game, but I think I've been spoiled by Three Kingdoms' lavish presentation and spectacular heroes. In both games it's interesting to see Creative Assembly play with myth and legend. Three Kingdoms had two game modes to appeal to fans who prefer a grittier, more historically accurate Total War game. Instead Troy treads a middle line. No-one is superhuman in this vision of Troy. If Menelaus had taken a slingshot to the skull in that foolish invasion, the fate of Sparta would play out very differently indeed. In that sense Troy realises a core Total War promise: to give you the reins of history and let you steer fate off a cliff into a river, just to see what will happen.