BSG is getting rebooted again as a Peacock exclusive.

Jason

1 hour ago, ort said:

Coming to yet another stupid ass bullshit streaming crap service you don't have, want or need...

This current state of TV is a hot pile of flaming diapers. Fuck everything.

I mean with Prime and Netflix, you dont really need anything else.

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I doubt this will ever come to actual fruition but it is a terrible idea. I just rewatched all of the 2004 reboot with my wife since she'd never seen the show and it's still fantastic. Yes, including season 4, which doesn't deserve any of the hate (especially when you binge the show). 

They should have cut to credits after the wide shot of Adama on the hill next to Roslin's grave and axed the Times Square final scene. It would have been a much more powerful moment to end the show on, whereas the Time Square scene gave you time to think about what you didn't like about the ending since it was a pretty lame final scene.

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

They should have cut to credits after the wide shot of Adama on the hill next to Roslin's grave and axed the Times Square final scene. It would have been a much more powerful moment to end the show on, whereas the Time Square scene gave you time to think about what you didn't like about the ending since it was a pretty lame final scene.

Agreed, but it was nice to more fully confirm what those two characters actually were. Otherwise, agreed (they should have done it in some other way). 

Battlestar Galactica was a fun ride, but the ending was rather poor. You can't make a show that's all about building these grand mysteries and leave the viewers wondering what it all means and then not pay it off at all. It's frustrating when you watch a show like this and realize that they were just making it all up the entire time and painting themselves into corners they didn't have a way to get out of.

Meh, still a good show.

This was a bad show and I don't really understand the appeal. The acting was terrible, the look of the show also terrible, every character was an unlikable idiot. The first season bounced around from "oh no we are out of fuel" episode to "oh no we are out of oxygen" episode and that silly racist doctor episode, among other bad episodes. Like really a frustratingly bad show.

So maybe this will be better!

16 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Wanna go in on a bet as to how long that's gonna last? :p

I REALLY do see three-month minimum subs in the near future.

I think it’s more likely that the various services will fairly dramatically increase prices for month to month subs, and keep prices where they are for 12 month subs, and maybe offer an intermediate step for 3 month subs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 8:15 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

I trust Moore to have a good take, so creatively I think this is probably a good thing and I'm interested to see what this show ends up being.

As a business decision, it's kind of baffling. BSG was never all that popular, with it's one existing spinoff getting quickly canceled. I don't believe we're in a world where 'Battlestar (2004) spin-off' is a selling point to broad audiences.

I love BSG. I think the reboot series is one of the top few sci-fi shows of all time, right up there with TNG. I think the mini-series/pilot is amazing and that 33 is a perfect episode of TV. I'm happy to hear we're getting more of it in whatever form that comes. I just don't expect it to be a hit.

That said, launching a new streaming service might be the best time possible to come out with a show like that. If critics like it, NBC might approve multiple seasons just hoping to get some buzz, regardless of viewership.

13 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I trust Moore to have a good take, so creatively I think this is probably a good thing and I'm interested to see what this show ends up being.

As a business decision, it's kind of baffling. BSG was never all that popular, with it's one existing spinoff getting quickly canceled. I don't believe we're in a world where 'Battlestar (2004) spin-off' is a selling point to broad audiences.

I love BSG. I think the reboot series is one of the top few sci-fi shows of all time, right up there with TNG. I think the mini-series/pilot is amazing and that 33 is a perfect episode of TV. I'm happy to hear we're getting more of it in whatever form that comes. I just don't expect it to be a hit.

That said, launching a new streaming service might be the best time possible to come out with a show like that. If critics like it, NBC might approve multiple seasons just hoping to get some buzz, regardless of viewership.

I don't think you can compare live TV to streaming. And Syfy is notorious for canceling things.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I don't think you can compare live TV to streaming. And Syfy is notorious for canceling things.

My point is basically that BSG was never broadly popular enough to support a spin-off.

Of course, it's all relative. BSG was getting ~2M viewers (+ or - depending on the season), which would be pretty good compared to a lot of shows now (The Expanse averaged less than 1M). Unfortunately we have no real data on how well Star Trek Discovery is doing, but Enterprise's worst season in 04 beat BSG's best season the same year. Enterprise's first season was nearly double that. The rise of time shifted viewers through BSG's run and the broadcast/cable divide makes those numbers of questionable value, but I still think that BSG was never a sufficiently popular IP for NBC to use it as a selling point for a new subscription service.

Maybe I'm underestimating BSG's popularity, or fans it gathered on DVD or streaming. I'm just skeptical of the IP's value at this point.

Of course, the new show might just be marketed as a new Sci-Fi series, with little to no emphasis on its connection to BSG, making all this a null point.

On 9/17/2019 at 5:52 PM, ort said:

Battlestar Galactica was a fun ride, but the ending was rather poor. You can't make a show that's all about building these grand mysteries and leave the viewers wondering what it all means and then not pay it off at all. It's frustrating when you watch a show like this and realize that they were just making it all up the entire time and painting themselves into corners they didn't have a way to get out of.

Meh, still a good show.

Two shows I loved... bsg and lost 

one of my favourite rpgs... mass effect

i guess they can!

edit: haven’t seen the end of game of thrones but it sounds like...

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

My point is basically that BSG was never broadly popular enough to support a spin-off.

Of course, it's all relative. BSG was getting ~2M viewers (+ or - depending on the season), which would be pretty good compared to a lot of shows now (The Expanse averaged less than 1M). Unfortunately we have no real data on how well Star Trek Discovery is doing, but Enterprise's worst season in 04 beat BSG's best season the same year. Enterprise's first season was nearly double that. The rise of time shifted viewers through BSG's run and the broadcast/cable divide makes those numbers of questionable value, but I still think that BSG was never a sufficiently popular IP for NBC to use it as a selling point for a new subscription service.

Maybe I'm underestimating BSG's popularity, or fans it gathered on DVD or streaming. I'm just skeptical of the IP's value at this point.

Of course, the new show might just be marketed as a new Sci-Fi series, with little to no emphasis on its connection to BSG, making all this a null point.

It was definitely one of those shows that became more popular after it was off the air much like The Wire. Once it was streaming on Netflix and was available on DVD, it became far more popular.

I only watched BSG after my brother got me the complete series on Blu-ray. I feel like a lot of people I know who have seen it also saw it after it was off air. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s pretty common.

On 9/17/2019 at 12:47 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I doubt this will ever come to actual fruition but it is a terrible idea. I just rewatched all of the 2004 reboot with my wife since she'd never seen the show and it's still fantastic. Yes, including season 4, which doesn't deserve any of the hate (especially when you binge the show). 

I liked all of the show except the ending. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I liked all of the show except the ending. 

The last half of the last season was seat of your pants horrible. Moore has gone so far as to say he had no idea what to do with the last half of that season, and that the crew was essentially voting on how the show should end.