Netflix buys exclusive rights to stream Seinfeld

Jason

9 minutes ago, ort said:

It's 16:9 when it runs on TV and if things get cut off, I haven't noticed them. Meh, it's fine. No one is watching Seinfeld for the cinematography...

Although are we sure that it's a crop? I saw an episode (the Hamptons) where George's girlfriend was topless and when she walked off frame it was clear she was wearing pasties or something (I rewound and freeze framed it, for, uh, science). It was something that happened because they were messing with aspect ratios. Google confirmed my suspision if I remember right. It didn't originally air that way in 4:3.

Maybe it's not cropping then but it's still not airing as intended. What you're describing sounds like something that wasn't supposed to be visible on camera but became visible when put into 16:9. Like why the TNG remaster isn't 16:9, they technically had the footage to do so, but since it was shot assuming it was going to be viewed on 4:3 TVs they would let stage equipment/etc be visible off to the sides since it was going to be lopped off anyhow for the broadcast.

I checked and it's mostly a crop. The original negatives had a tiny amount of info on the sides that they sometimes use in the crops and sometimes don't.

Honestly, the 16:9 doesn't bother me at all for this. Overall the remaster is very good and it looks great for a show from the 90s. They recut the whole thing from the film negatives in the mid 2000s.

I assumed it would be the same 16:9 versions that were on Hulu.

It sucks, but the reality is that the average viewer hates the black bars on the sides for 4:3 shows. Seinfeld changing all of their old episodes to 16:9 is why it’s still a widely so dictated show to this day. Older shows that refused to change formats haven’t survived as well.

I guess I'm part of the problem, because there's a good chance I never would have noticed this change, and now that it's pointed out to me, I don't particularly care. I have at least half of the seasons on DVD that I could dig if I really wanted to honor the artists' original vision or whatever.  I'll probably end up watching most of these episodes on my phone during my lunch break, which also definitely wasn't intended in the early 90's. :shrug:

I wasn't super big into the show when it aired I liked it but not enough to go out of my way to watch it. I started it seems decent to watch on my phone since I am without a TV till my settlement (gonna have to figure out how I am watching Wheel of Time and Cowboy Bebop a phone isn't going to cut it :thinking:).

I'm actually still kinda new to this show* and had just been watching episodes in random order when they tape off my DVR, so I had been jumping around seasons like crazy... but since it came to Netflix I decided to just start from the beginning and go in order and this show starts out real slow. I'm like 4 or 5 episodes in, and while it's not awful, if I was new to the show, I would have bailed after 2 or 3 episodes.

*When I say I'm new to it, I mean, in the previous 25 years combined, I probably watched 20-30 episodes, and in the last 6 months I've probably watched like 50.

8 minutes ago, ort said:

I'm actually still kinda new to this show* and had just been watching episodes in random order when they tape off my DVR, so I had been jumping around seasons like crazy... but since it came to Netflix I decided to just start from the beginning and go in order and this show starts out real slow. I'm like 4 or 5 episodes in, and while it's not awful, if I was new to the show, I would have bailed after 2 or 3 episodes.

It's funny because according to Netflix the first season is only 5 episodes. That seems weird to me.

Overall though I think once you get through the rest of the episodes the early ones have a certain charm to them that you'll end up appreciating.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's funny because according to Netflix the first season is only 5 episodes. That seems weird to me.

Overall though I think once you get through the rest of the episodes the early ones have a certain charm to them that you'll end up appreciating.

Season 1 was only 5 episodes. Season 2 was only 12. It wasn't until season 3 that we got a true full season. 

On 10/8/2021 at 10:57 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Pretty interesting the first time Newman is mentioned (that episode where Kramer puts cement in the washer) it's clearly Larry David yelling.

It's Wayne Elliot Knight in syndication, but indeed, I don't know if they had Newman as a recurring character planned yet.

On 10/9/2021 at 12:31 AM, ort said:

*When I say I'm new to it, I mean, in the previous 25 years combined, I probably watched 20-30 episodes, and in the last 6 months I've probably watched like 50.

I remember starting Seinfeld front-to-back for the first time in 2011. My reactions each season:

Season 1: Huh.... is this not as funny as I remember it? Maybe it's slow to start.

Season 2: Okay, this is funnier.

Season 3: Holy shit, this is funnier.

Season 4: :fap: (fitting considering The Contest)

Season 5: :fap: 

Season 6: :fap: 

Season 7: :fap: 

Season 8: :fap: 

Season 9: :fap: 

On 10/8/2021 at 10:57 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Pretty interesting the first time Newman is mentioned (that episode where Kramer puts cement in the washer) it's clearly Larry David yelling.

Newman and Kramer change pretty dramatically compared to how they’re originally portrayed. Kramer allegedly hadn’t left his apartment in ages when the show started which clearly doesn’t track with how well he’s known about town.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

It's Wayne Elliot Knight in syndication, but indeed, I don't know if they had Newman as a recurring character planned yet.

I remember starting Seinfeld front-to-back for the first time in 2011. My reactions each season:

Season 1: Huh.... is this not as funny as I remember it? Maybe it's slow to start.

Season 2: Okay, this is funnier.

Season 3: Holy shit, this is funnier.

Season 4: :fap: (fitting considering The Contest)

Season 5: :fap: 

Season 6: :fap: 

Season 7: :fap: 

Season 8: :fap: 

Season 9: :fap: 

Yeah, for me Seinfeld always got better the longer it went. I love how all out mean-spirited and over the top the last couple of seasons are. 

35 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Newman and Kramer change pretty dramatically compared to how they’re originally portrayed. Kramer allegedly hadn’t left his apartment in ages when the show started which clearly doesn’t track with how well he’s known about town.

See, even you care about canon. :daydream: