Yemen Update: warring parties fail to extend UN-backed truce for a third time, "heavy clashes" reported

2 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

They can only care so much about brown people, surely they need to cover another Trump tweet for 10 hours and then ask Trump voters how they feel about Trump (they still love him) and then the news acts stunned that a voter can still like Trump.

Rinse. Repeat. 

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

It amazes me that the mainstream media narrative is so centrist, yet people tell me CNN and MSNBC are so "liberal". Sometimes I wonder where people think the goal posts even are, in actual reality. 

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It amazes me that the mainstream media narrative is so centrist, yet people tell me CNN and MSNBC are so "liberal". Sometimes I wonder where people think the goal posts even are, in actual reality. 

Wherever the fear and hate in their hearts say it is! :flag:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, when the GOP has shifted the Overton window this far right, where not being an open Nazi makes you a moderate Republican... 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Well, when the GOP has shifted the Overton window this far right, where not being an open Nazi makes you a moderate Republican... 

That's true but those are the GOP goal posts, not the objective goal posts. I understand why the perception is where it's at, it just boggles my mind people can't see through/past it to the objective truth.

Then I remember Trump has a solid 40% base after 1.5 years in office. 

:dumpster_fire:

I don't think that Trump has moved the window so much as he's increased the blind loyalty of the base into a personality cult. If a Democrat were proposing fascist ideas then the GOP base would be against it. Honestly, ideology has almost nothing to do with US politics these days for I would guess the majority of voters.

23 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think everyone here agrees with that sentiment, just that it's now an order of magnitude worse than it used to be. 

The problem is three-fold. One; brown people. Two; Trump just stirs so much shit there's something new to discuss everyday. Three; brown people.

12 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

How many drone strikes that wiped out families in Pakistan did we hear about during the Obama years?

While i remember a few instances of these types of drone strikes, theres another element to whats going on during this administration, they've dramatically lowered the bar for whats acceptable civilian casualties, which is likely causing more scrutiny as well as more instances of mass civilian deaths.

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

How many drone strikes that wiped out families in Pakistan did we hear about during the Obama years?

Only a select few times, no doubt. But there is a sliding scale here in terms of racism/badness, and what it is today is worse than what it was before. That doesn't mean before was good either, but that something REALLY ought to be done about it now, given how bad it's gotten/getting. 

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Only a select few times, no doubt. But there is a sliding scale here in terms of racism/badness, and what it is today is worse than what it was before. That doesn't mean before was good either, but that something REALLY ought to be done about it now, given how bad it's gotten/getting. 

This makes no goddamned sense.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

This makes no goddamned sense.

In terms of proportion are you saying it makes no sense to say that the culture of hate today is an order of magnitude worse than it used to be? I mean, I think it pretty clearly has gotten worse than, say, during the Obama years, in terms of tolerance and attitudes towards brown Americans. 

So ignoring US-Yemen now, in this climate, is, ostensibly, worse than the same ignoring was going on during the Obama years due to the context of each situation. Context colors the gravity of the situation. 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

In terms of proportion are you saying it makes no sense to say that the culture of hate today is an order of magnitude worse than it used to be? I mean, I think it pretty clearly has gotten worse than, say, during the Obama years, in terms of tolerance and attitudes towards brown Americans. 

So ignoring US Yemen now, in this climate, is, ostensibly, worse than the same ignoring was going on during the Obama years due to the context of each situation. 

How did we end up talking about American culture in a thread about the media's attitude towards the conflict in Yemen?!?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

How did we end up talking about American culture in a thread about the media's attitude towards the conflict in Yemen?!?

Because redsoxfan said that this sort of thing has "always" been ignored, and I responded with even if that's true, that it being ignored now is worse than it being ignored back then was, so it bothers me even moreso today than it did then, basically.

That was it. Then you responded by saying what I said was stupid and made no sense. So I felt I needed to explain what I originally meant further. :p 

I meant MSNBC ignoring US-Yemen now is an order of magnitude worse than it used to be because of the context now vs. then. I didn't mean that literally the war itself is an order of magnitude worse than it used to be. Sorry if that was the misunderstanding. 

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I meant MSNBC ignoring US-Yemen now is an order of magnitude worse than it used to be because of the context now vs. then. I didn't mean that literally the war itself is an order of magnitude worse than it used to be. Sorry if that was the misunderstanding. 

I will counterargue that MSNBC's or another other "liberal" media organization's ignoring American actions in the Middle East (drone strikes, unconditional support for Saudi Arabian actions in Yemen, etc.) that occurred under an ostensibly "liberal" President is actually a far greater moral "sin of omission" from the standpoint of hypocrisy/complicity than doing so under a right-wing one.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

I will counterargue that MSNBC's or another other "liberal" media organization's ignoring American actions in the Middle East (drone strikes, unconditional support for Saudi Arabian actions in Yemen, etc.) that occurred under an ostensibly "liberal" President is actually a far greater moral "sin of omission" from the standpoint of hypocrisy/complicity than doing so under a right-wing one.  

Oh, I agree it's a far greater moral sin of omission. I simply meant the culture around it generally in this country is more toxic overall now, so we have even more reason to call to arms than we did before.

MSNBC's hands are stained with blood either way, in my opinion. I should have been more clear. Their lack of coverage bothered me long before Trump came along, I just wish they tried harder now if they're going to act like they aren't just like Trump is all. The cognitive dissonance is starker now than it was, basically haha. 

22 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

At this point, the conflict in Syria is all but over with the Assad/Russia/Iran/Hezbollah forces victorious in most of the country and the Kurds/SDF controlling the remainder.

Yep, this.

Sad how things went. But I guess evil "stability" is better than the shit storm war it was? I dunno.

can someone ELI5 why MSNBC is being singled-out as dropping the ball on the coverage of Yemen? Reading that article in the OP, Im failing to see the connection of MSNBC being so blatantly anti-trump and yet not covering his failures in Yemen. 

It seems all MSM is really lacking in coverage of Yemen. There are stories, but they are buried and shadowed by the latest Trumpism. 

Also...MSNBC did cover the schoolbus bombing:

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/-we-just-bombed-a-school-bus-1296020547855

@atom631 because MSNBC is the network of the so-called "Resistance" (OLOLOLOL) but continues to turn a blind eye to stories that would reflect badly on the military-industrial complex, just as they did when the guy that they liked occupied the Oval Office.

MSNBC "covered" that bombing only as far as the Senator addressing it, nothing more.

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

@atom631 because MSNBC is the network of the so-called "Resistance" (OLOLOLOL) but continues to turn a blind eye to stories that would reflect badly on the military-industrial complex, just as they did when the guy that they liked occupied the Oval Office.

MSNBC "covered" that bombing only as far as the Senator addressing it, nothing more.

so in other words...their views are consistent. whether you agree with them or not is another story. 

• 1 month later...

Senator Chris Murphy: I’ve argued from the beginning that there is a U.S. imprint on every single civilian death inside Yemen. I don’t think the Saudis would be conducting this level of atrocity if not for the support from the United States.

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/13/meet-the-senator-trying-to-end-u-s-support-for-the-war-in-yemen/