20 years ago today, the Sega Dreamcast released in North America

SaysWho?

31 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

You know one thing I thought interesting with the Dreamcast is you never heard anyone complain it only had 1 analog stick.

Because dual analogs are mainly used for shooters and Halo didn't set the standard until two years later, after the Dreamcast was already dead.

In other words, we didn't complain because we hadn't gotten there yet.

I had a dreamcast back when it came out, can't quite remember how I was able to get one (I don't remember specifically buying it or asking my parents for it).  I do remember getting to try one out from a Hollywood video when they were rent-able before launch. I have fond memories of playing Sonic Adventures, JGR & Soul Calibur so much on the system.  I also remember when I went overboard onetime with a very large bonus I got from work(*) and bought a huge naomi game collection that I eventually sold off over time back in early 2000's. I actually still have a dreamcast but it's not my original system.

(*)

Spoiler

I made a shitty cat in the hat game for ps1 for newkidco in 3 months based on the book. Since I was the only dev on the project I was doing 2x the work but got paid 2x the salary for that period. =/

I still remember getting excited about a PS2 kiosk and telling my mom at the time of the shortage, "Look, HERE'S a PS2! Come over here!" and then realizing it was a Dreamcast.

11 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Because dual analogs are mainly used for shooters and Halo didn't set the standard until two years later, after the Dreamcast was already dead.

In other words, we didn't complain because we hadn't gotten there yet.

It's also why I think, had the Dreamcast found a way to continue, it would have been left behind. The original DOA2 and the like looked better on the Dreamcast, but overall, stuff like MGS2/GTA3/Devil May Cry/ICO/GT3 and, shit, even the smooth Twisted Metal Black were more mind-blowing, and then you had the Xbox and Gamecube. And with more games using both analog sticks, the Dreamcast wouldn't have been as good of a place to play imo.

I played a bit of Dreamcast yesterday to celebrate. Went through Arcade Mode in Soul Calibur then picked up an old save file from Grandia II...which I must have started the game over from the beginning since I was just outside the first town with very low levels. Weird. 

Anyone play Super Magnetic Neo? Always wanted to try that one but never did for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Funny coincidence, I was digging through some old boxes looking for some art supplies and I came across my Dreamcast games... I'm surprised at how many I have considering I was affording N64, PS1, and DC games all at the same time that year :feelsgood:

Reveal hidden contents

Awesome collection!

I also just cleaned out my closet recently and found my Dreamcast, two controllers, and my fishing pole and microphone peripherals.  Unfortunately the system needs some maintenance (the controllers aren't recognized, though apparently this is a common problem), and the only game I still have is Seaman.  I sold the rest of them years ago and am kicking myself now.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No Carrier?

I might have had it once (maybe?), but I was working for EBx at the time and they had a policy where customers could buy any game and have the ability to return it opened 3 days later for store credit towards any other purchase. And on top of that, employees were allowed to borrow games for a 5 day period. So more than likely I played every Dreamcast game at the time, but I'll be damned if I can remember them all lol