|||| Canadian Election 🍁 Sorry |||| Liberals win plurality, stay in power.

Sad to see but I actually voted early yesterday with my mom. I voted Liberal before this came to light but I still would of gone Liberal. Anyway we can keep Scheer out of the office works for me. I would of gone NDP maybe but my city is an either or 2 party city of PC or Lib. We have an NDP candidate but with the way the votes have been for them here over past election cycles. ItΒ would be like wasting a vote to help keep Scheer out

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Β 

No, but almost all major media in Canada (outside of the Toronto Star paper) has a centre-right slant, or even full-right (PostMedia papers). And they all are mostly white.

CBC is centre-left (or full left) depending on the host.Β  The hosts of the National are clearly not primarily white.

cbc-national-hostsjpg.jpg

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

CBC is centre-left (or full left) depending on the host.Β  The hosts of the National are clearly not primarily white.

cbc-national-hostsjpg.jpg

Β 

The CBC is the best, but even still most of their reporters are white. But you are correct, they are better than the rest (and also the furthest left of the TV stations).

So far it seems that all of the major ethnic associations have come out behind Trudeau. Basically a "he's an idiot but he's not racist, and in fact has done more for immigration and refugees than any modern PM." And there is some outrage growing around white people being the ones feigning outrage.

Β 

Strangely...Trudeau might come out of this okay because his major opponent is a know bigot.Β 

1 hour ago, Snaynay1 said:

So we are cool with politicians wearing black face now? I mean something that a politician did in 2000 that has been decidedly racist for decades, actually centuries now is cool? Really?Β 

Β 

No one is "cool" with it, but his apology is being accepted, and we're able to recognize that he's matured in the years since, and is actively fighting for the rights of minorities. There's a difference, especially when compared to Sheer who can't even give a full answer as to if he's still a homophobe or not.Β 

2 hours ago, Snaynay1 said:

So we are cool with politicians wearing black face now? I mean something that a politician did in 2000 that has been decidedly racist for decades, actually centuries now is cool? Really?Β 

Β 

I don't think anyone is cool with it. I think it's more "since then he has been a world leader in helping brown refugees while his opponent hires known current anti-immigrant racists as his staff," and so Trudeau is given a "pass" in the sense that he is lesser of two evils. He's a buffoon, but out ignorance, not malice. That's not to say that ignorant racism is good, because it's not. But the alternative in Canada is a cruel bigot who will out us back decades on social and racial policy.

I wonder if the difference in demographics in Canada vis-Γ -vis the US is leading to the different perception in how offensive blackface is.

Is blackface seen as more offensive by people of African descent (which are of a relatively small proportion of Canadian visible minorities), whereas other visible minorities aren't as bothered by it?

I was surprised, after living in the US for so long, just how blasΓ© most Canadians are reacting to something that would have been a "death sentence" in the U.S. to someone's political ambitions.

54 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

It's offensive to all but yes it's particularly offensive in America where it has a history of contributing to the reinforcement of the racial hierarchy.

My understanding is that Blackface has a similar history in Canada. "Howard, P.S.S (2017) Blackface in Canada. Retrieved "

Not surprisingly, when blackface incidents occur today, they spark intense debate, with many attempting to justify it as harmless fun, and in some cases suggesting that those who are offended by it are β€œtoo sensitive” or bound by unwarranted β€œpolitical correctness.” Paradoxically, these claims are based upon elaborate popular Canadian mythologies that suggest (erroneously) that racism has had little relevance in its history, and that any racism there might have been has been overcome (Howard, 2017).Β  Nevertheless, contemporary blackface draws quite clearly on racial tropesβ€”fried chicken, dreadlocks, monkeys.Β At the same time, and very importantly, it draws upon the ways that blackness is conceived of in dominant Canadian discourse todayβ€”most notably as foreign.Β A large number of contemporary Canadian blackface incidents in Canada portray Blackness as Jamaican or otherwise not Canadian.Β This Jamicanization of blackness is conspicuous and telling when considered in comparison to contemporary blackface incidents in the United States where Blackness is most commonly represented in the β€œghetto parties” register, and demonstrates the ways in which contemporary Canadian blackface is constituted by, and helps to constitute, the ways in which blackness is understood in Canada

Β 

Β 

Yeah I know! Their non-binary has always leaned Conservative for some reason, which has had people speculating that they might only have a sample size of 3 or 4 and just happened to get a few extra Conservatives than you would expect. It's strange that in Canada the older population tends to skew Liberal, but I think it's because they remember the heydays of the Liberal Party (Pearson, Trudeau, etc) being in the public consciousness, while people in their 30s and 40s are trying to save money in an increasingly-unfair economy. I don't completely trust Forum's breakdowns, however. Nanos has probably the best reputation, and they are showing similar national numbers but refuse to show their regional/demographic internals.