Xbox Game Pass Discussion Thread - A Tremendous Value for Hundreds of Games and Day 1 Releases At Only $9.99/Month

Brian

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

I know this post is old now… but $10 a month definitely isn’t the goal.  It’s effectively at least $15 a month on consoles with Gold.  Then whatever price hike inevitably comes after the user/talent acquisition phase.

My guess: GP will not be significantly more than $10/month when adjusted for inflation for quite some time. Even more so if MS continues to acquire studios and make GP primarily driven by MGS’ own titles.

It is important to remember that MS has revenue streams that multiply off the back of GP subs, something that Netflix for example doesn’t. MS collects all sorts of micro transaction/dlc/battlepass revenue from subscribers to GP.

They literally are giving away the multiplayer of their biggest franchise now because of all that ongoing revenue generated by it. The fundamentals of revenue generation in gaming have changed and we are quite a ways off from seeing how it all shakes out. I could be way off.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

My guess: GP will not be significantly more than $10/month when adjusted for inflation for quite some time. Even more so if MS continues to acquire studios and make GP primarily driven by MGS’ own titles.

It is important to remember that MS has revenue streams that multiply off the back of GP subs, something that Netflix for example doesn’t. MS collects all sorts of micro transaction/dlc/battlepass revenue from subscribers to GP.

They literally are giving away the multiplayer of their biggest franchise now because of all that ongoing revenue generated by it. The fundamentals of revenue generation in gaming have changed and we are quite a ways off from seeing how it all shakes out. I could be way off.

They tried to double the price of Gold not that long ago, before most of these acquisitions.  I think that shows that raising prices is on their minds.  You can't truly follow the Netflix model without Netflix price hikes once you own the space.

GP probably wouldn't bolster DLC sales all that much, given the lack of ownership of the games themselves.  Maybe for 1st party games permanent to the service it matters, but we haven't seen Microsoft push too hard on that really. (thankfully)  Then again, they did buy CoD...

13 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Whoa. I didn’t realize that finally coming out, or that it was on Game Pass! Hell yeah. 

It wasn’t announced until today at release! Seems like they wanted to semi shadow drop it even though it did have a firm date. They didn’t hype it at all and embargoed it until release, which is surprising considering the glowing reception. 

Now I just need my deck so I can play this.

• True 1

vVjmXudKxKfpGYp4A9RPPn-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Xbox Game Pass got Marvel's Avengers, and now it has Marvel's catalogue too.

Though Xbox Game Pass is known for, well, games, it's expanding its horizons to comic books too. Marvel and Xbox are teaming up for a new offer, letting Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers trial three months of Marvel Unlimited too.

A new trailer advertising the deal shows that not only is Marvel's Avengers on Game Pass, but fans who want to delve deeper into comic book history can now get access to Marvel Unlimited's library. That's over 29,000 comics, the video proudly boasts. So whether you're new to Marvel's heroes or an old hand, there's probably something new in the library you've not read yet.

I subbed to Marvel Unlimited a while back. It's not as "unlimited" as it seems; rather than having full series (they do have some) they compiled popular stories, like the Infinity Gauntlet and Civil War. If you're going in thinking you might get to read every issue of Punisher Warzone or Wolverine you might be disappointed. It was a while back though, maybe they've added stuff since then.

Don't bother with any of the new stuff though. 99% of it is garbage, as Marvel doesn't hire actual writers anymore.

20 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I’ve been reliably told by @crispy4000that GP subs don’t spend.

For real, don’t let that guy run a company. He thinks because he feels a certain way about things, everybody else must :p 

I don’t spend anything on my games and don’t really see myself doing so either. I just did the trick to renew my UGP for 3 years for less then $200cnd and I somehow got $100 from Microsoft last year in my wallet on my system. (giveaway for their 20th anniversary I believe) Anyways I find it even harder now with gamepass to even spend that free money on a game, which i now wonder “when” it will be free to play on gamepass. I bought Guardians of the Galaxy (great game and don’t really regret buying) and now it’s on gamepass only a few months later. Hard for me to consider any new disc/digital game release on Xbox as a purchase when it can be free to play on gamepass. 

10 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Don't bother with any of the new stuff though. 99% of it is garbage, as Marvel doesn't hire actual writers anymore.

The Xmen stuff is REALLY good and this coming from someone who has not been the Xmen's biggest fan growing up. Ever since Jonathan Hickman was put in charge of the Xbook, they've pretty much been must-reads. I just spent the last couple of days getting current on all of the X stuff. Avengers and Thor are both really good these days as well. Most of the individual books are good these days, just stay away from the big crossovers and you'll be fine. There's definitely good stuff being put out by both Marvel and DC these days.

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
xbox-game-pass-gamescom-2018.jpg
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

Love Xbox Game Pass? Have a big family in one household that also would like to enjoy Xbox Game Pass? You could be in luck.

This would be great if I can share with say a friend next town over. I wonder if I can set his Xbox One S as a main system and my Series X as another being different gen systems:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 12:56 PM, silentbob said:

This would be great if I can share with say a friend next town over. I wonder if I can set his Xbox One S as a main system and my Series X as another being different gen systems:confused:

Yes you can. I did just this for a friend. You just need to log in on your friend’s Xbox and set it as your “home console”. As long as you have internet you can still play everything you’re entitled to and own when you’re signed in on your own Xbox. 

• Like 1

I thought this was funny because it’s the same writer:

744dcf1f690608bfb04669a4c6ff43aa.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

Two of the best games of 2021 come to Microsoft’s games-on-demand service

5c59f3944743e59e9dbc88d3ea7bca24.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

Bugsnax is just about the only significant game coming soon to Microsoft’s popular service

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

This is laughable but after anxiously awaiting Halo Infinite like many, getting an XSX over a year AFTER! release and a PS5 just recently {Not that that matters...lol} I finally download the game and then for what ever reason I stop playing before I ever get to the open world part. Over and over and ove...... Anyway, as to "what am I playing this week" It's now Halo Infinite on XSX, Bayonetta 2 on Switch, and Returnal on PS5 all three are really good games I just hope I don't get distracted and like I ALWAYS do and can stay focused on these three games for the time being... 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I was curious about the Jurassic World games, almost bit on a Humble Bundle sale the other day, so I'll gladly download that one. 

They're great, IMO, and I'm not typically into park-building games. It's just fun to watch the dinosaurs. The OG one from years ago is actually great if you can find it; it actually had some decent npc ai in the dinosaurs so you could watch them hunt, the ai in the current games is more basic.

EDIT: This one,