Guy puts $4,500 into Star Citizen, sues to get it back, loses

Paperclyp

https://kotaku.com/star-citizen-backer-sues-to-get-4-500-back-loses-1827666550

I've been a pretty big skeptic of this game for a long time. If you are cool with chucking money into it and have the means, have at it. But $4,500 and then you feel duped? 

Please. 

AT THE SAME TIME - 

I feel like the dev is full of shit as well. I just can't believe the support they've gotten. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I've been a pretty big skeptic of this game for a long time. If you are cool with chucking money into it and have the means, have at it. But $4,500 and then you feel duped? 

Please. 

AT THE SAME TIME - 

I feel like the dev is full of shit as well. I just can't believe the support they've gotten. 

Clyp, man, I know very little about Star Citizen.  Heard of it, but never paid enough attention to really know about it.

That said, this is horrible.  Crazy to think this is going on.

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Please. 

AT THE SAME TIME - 

Problem I have is you can't say anything about it without some dumbass getting all pissy about it.  

I started to get interested again recently andfound quite a lot of people on youtube that have given up after spending a lot of time and money on it. 

One of the big issues I've seen is now it feels like p2w. One guy said when you came into contact with another ship previously you would scan them to see what ship, mods, weapons etc they had before knowing if you had a chance to kill them. But now it's as simple as "my ship is more expensive/cheaper". 

There are plenty of people who spend this type of money on loot  boxes and never get the item they want... don't feel sorry for this guy at all. I put $120 into Star Citizen and looking forward to playing it when they launch it. Honestly this guys argument sounds like utter bullshit putting 4.5k into it over multiple payments for the single player game and then not liking that it added FPS elements so he wants  a refund. RSI's defense here seems pretty legit and I bet if he had just backed 4.5k once at the beginning and wanted a refund now they would have provided it... it just looks like this guy wants to make a name for himself and it is worth the bad PR not to refund him.

I feel kind of bad for the guy who brought this lawsuit because his reasons are valid (even if his legal complaint might not be). Unlike the complainers who are upset about the costs of the game, or the ones who complain because it's taking so long, the developer literally changed course in development and is no longer creating the type of game he originally sold to the public. The plaintiff was expecting a game that he'd be able to play, but because of his ailment, he literally can't compete in that new type of game. For PR reasons, they should have just worked with him, but they took the asshole approach instead. And yeah, they're legally allowed to do that, but it's caused people, like me, to think there's no way in the world I'd give money to an entity like this.

The plaintiff didn't sue the company because of the amount of money. I get the impression that he's not suffering a financial burden but sued more out of principle than anything else. But I still feel bad for him, which is never a justification a court has ever used for deciding in one's favor.

• Like 1

Last fall I was able to get my refund of the money I put into the game.  At this point the game still feels a long way from finished and I have no interest in how it most likely will turn out.  If and when Squadron 42 gets released I may pick it up.  

I got $450 back.  At least I got to keep my metal ID card.

1 hour ago, brucoe said:

I feel kind of bad for the guy who brought this lawsuit because his reasons are valid (even if his legal complaint might not be). Unlike the complainers who are upset about the costs of the game, or the ones who complain because it's taking so long, the developer literally changed course in development and is no longer creating the type of game he originally sold to the public. The plaintiff was expecting a game that he'd be able to play, but because of his ailment, he literally can't compete in that new type of game. For PR reasons, they should have just worked with him, but they took the asshole approach instead. And yeah, they're legally allowed to do that, but it's caused people, like me, to think there's no way in the world I'd give money to an entity like this.

The plaintiff didn't sue the company because of the amount of money. I get the impression that he's not suffering a financial burden but sued more out of principle than anything else. But I still feel bad for him, which is never a justification a court has ever used for deciding in one's favor.

It's not the asshole approach if giving him the refund opens up some crazy can of worms. Imagine having to refund everyone that is unhappy with the direction the game is going on? Even then, if you make an exception for him, are they going to make the same exception for everyone that claims a medical issue? Are they going to all for doctor's notes?

That's just too many questions and no company would/should have to ever put themselves in that situation.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's not the asshole approach if giving him the refund opens up some crazy can of worms. Imagine having to refund everyone that is unhappy with the direction the game is going on? Even then, if you make an exception for him, are they going to make the same exception for everyone that claims a medical issue? Are they going to all for doctor's notes?

That's just too many questions and no company would/should have to ever put themselves in that situation.

It could have also been done quietly as well. Not everything requires a marching band and a parade.

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This was my thinking, as well.

From reading the article and this thread, there sounds like legitimate gripes with the way the game's development has been handled.

But other then the argument about retroactive ToS change, this guy doesn't seem to have much of an argument other then, "Come on, man!". Seems like you kneecap the entire concept of things like Kickstarter if you can punish a dev every time they make a creative decision someone doesn't like.

He's not alone in having been sold a false bill of goods. I have some sympathy for someone that wanted something so much they'd invest that kind of money into it, but at the same time it's hard to feel too bad for someone falling so hard for something that seemed so obviously unlikely to come to pass.