This is why I won't be buying a next-gen console

crispy4000

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

They're going to be leapfrogging each other for the next two decades. Especially with mid-cycle updates now becoming a thing.

I don't think they've ever truly leapfrogged each other.  The XB1 vs PS2 was the closest its ever come to that.  What they're doing today is attempting to inch ahead.  They do console releases more frequently now, sure.  But they're each still scrapping for those minute advantages.  It's a totally different ballgame than say, the PSP vs DS.

I just find it hard to get excited for what the new consoles prospectively offer.  Wade through the bullshit (8k! 120fps!) and it's easy to see that we're not likely to get much resolution or framerate gains if next-gen rendering tech (raytracing) is employed.

Maybe if you've been stuck with an XB1 base for all these years, 1080p raytraced games will seem like a big step up.  But with a Pro and decent PC, I don't know if I can get excited for that at this point.  The 'mid-cycle' has spoiled me.

To me, the biggest thing to be excited about in console land is an SSD and more system RAM. These two increases will really help console close the gap with PCs and offer a more similar experience. Graphically, we are challenged by the current rendering burdens imposed by 4K. I've said this before and I'll continue to say this, 4K IS HARD! There is a reason that PS5 and NextBox Will both still employ some kind of checker board rendering, and that's because the quest is no longer to focus solely on higher Resolutions, but rather to effect the best possible IQ for a given game. Sure, these new systems will have more GPU power and possibly some, though not hardly enough, RT cores to be able to put a bullet on the back of the box, but the true start will be the way in which SSD and more RAM supports better texture streaming techniques and LOD work that will give the illusion of superior rendering capabilities.  Better still for those of us that enjoy PC gaming, the increased CPU, RAM, and SSD in next gen consoles will allow even more parallels between consoles and PC making ports a bit easier on the devs. 

Overall I'm pretty excited about PS5 and future Xbox content because consoles are the target more often than not and as they rise, so also do my PC games! :sun:

15 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Let's just rephrase beefy as being able to run Control with full raytracing settings at 1440p60.  That would be a 'next gen' bump in performance and fidelity worth getting excited about.

It's also only feasible today with $800 MSRP GPUs.

The sooner we stop pitting Sony and Microsoft against each other, the sooner we'll realize nothing will stop the next gen from feeling premature in 2020.

A 2080TI can't even do 1440p60 on high settings -- it only AVERAGES 46 fps.

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

To me, the biggest thing to be excited about in console land is an SSD and more system RAM. These two increases will really help console close the gap with PCs and offer a more similar experience. Graphically, we are challenged by the current rendering burdens imposed by 4K. I've said this before and I'll continue to say this, 4K IS HARD! There is a reason that PS5 and NextBox Will both still employ some kind of checker board rendering, and that's because the quest is no longer to focus solely on higher Resolutions, but rather to effect the best possible IQ for a given game. Sure, these new systems will have more GPU power and possibly some, though not hardly enough, RT cores to be able to put a bullet on the back of the box, but the true start will be the way in which SSD and more RAM supports better texture streaming techniques and LOD work that will give the illusion of superior rendering capabilities.  Better still for those of us that enjoy PC gaming, the increased CPU, RAM, and SSD in next gen consoles will allow even more parallels between consoles and PC making ports a bit easier on the devs. 

Overall I'm pretty excited about PS5 and future Xbox content because consoles are the target more often than not and as they rise, so also do my PC games! :sun:

Couldn't agree more -- I don't expect 4k resolution to be the norm next gen -- particularly if ray tracing will be a thing..  I am also excited for a much more capable CPU -- this should dramatically improve a lot of open world games.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Hmm, this says the 2080 (not TI) averages 61fps, with dips down to the low 50's.

KAV7AURjdqCXCQ3wExsUGN-650-80.png

https://www.pcgamer.com/control-system-requirements-settings-benchmarks-and-performance-analysis/

Maybe this chart with tested with raytracing on medium?  I dunno.

I think they are using DLSS rather than rendering at 1440p.

15 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Probably not, since there are DLSS categories on the chart.

I actually sat down a and skimmed the articles (rather than just looking at pretty charts like I did before) -- it looks like the PCGamer benchmarks reflect a central maintenance area that was "cleared out [of] any enemies to minimise variation".  The RPS benchmarks reflect a run through two different areas, and includes combat, to provide a "decent slice of how the game functions".  The DigitalFoundry article seemed to indicate that framerate was hit hard from combat, and based on the environment.  This may explain why PCGamer's FPS was so much higher.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:34 AM, crispy4000 said:

I just find it hard to get excited for what the new consoles prospectively offer.  Wade through the bullshit (8k! 120fps!) and it's easy to see that we're not likely to get much resolution or framerate gains if next-gen rendering tech (raytracing) is employed.

I really doubt Raytracing will be the end goal for most developers.  60 FPS might actually be the more feasible target this upcoming generation.

...that is if engine developers don’t prioritize raytracing exploration over foundational performance re-hauls.  Faster i/o with SSD’s and better CPU’s will help address two of the bigger bottlenecks of this generation, but I suspect engine overhead will continue to be a limiting factor as asset counts increase.