No Man's Sky adding full multiplayer experience in next update

Pikachu

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

I remember the game being a little hard to get into.

Does anyone know if any of the updates made the intro more user friendly? Either way, I'll probably be starting from scratch, too.

(About 2.5GB to go.....)

They completely redid the intro with this update to make it easier to understand systems and also give you tools you didn’t used to get until much later in the game. There is also some semblance of a story now. This is a perfect time to restart. 

3 hours ago, Anzo said:

They completely redid the intro with this update to make it easier to understand systems and also give you tools you didn’t used to get until much later in the game. There is also some semblance of a story now. This is a perfect time to restart. 

Thanks. That’s what I’m going to do. 

40 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

I'm never turning 3rd person for on-foot off. 

That good huh?

Third person almost makes this update into a sequel. It's like a different game. I can finally look at where I'm jumping and better navigate the ground. And once you get to a space station you can customize the look of your avatar with all kinds of stuff anytime you want as much as you want. 

Started from scratch last night. Couldn’t figure out how to repair my ship and it had been a long day so I quit. I’ll try again today when I’m not so tired. I do like the third person look. Very nice. I wish there was a way to turn off the sentinels. Fucking things are such pests. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Started from scratch last night. Couldn’t figure out how to repair my ship and it had been a long day so I quit. I’ll try again today when I’m not so tired. I do like the third person look. Very nice. I wish there was a way to turn off the sentinels. Fucking things are such pests. 

The UI is kind of a pain.

They don't always make it clear whether what you need is a raw material you need to find, something you need to craft, or something that needs to be processed. They throw a lot at you at the beginning.

And the constant depletion of the Hazard Shield doesn't help.

About 2 hours in, I feel like I am starting to get the hang of it. Hopefully it'll become second nature like Minecraft.

54 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

The UI is kind of a pain.

They don't always make it clear whether what you need is a raw material you need to find, something you need to craft, or something that needs to be processed. They throw a lot at you at the beginning.

And the constant depletion of the Hazard Shield doesn't help.

About 2 hours in, I feel like I am starting to get the hang of it. Hopefully it'll become second nature like Minecraft.

This describes my first few hours perfectly. 

3 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

I started a new game as well but I just paid attention to the right bottom corner pop up box where the game basically told me what to do every step of the way. However sometimes it doesn't show up right away. 

This is the key, but I didn't really, so my experience was like that above. lol.

I'll put some more time in tonight.  I didn't touch the game since it was vanilla, so I've got a fair bit to catch up on.

The third person view just seems so shity. Like Bethesda third person shity, but with less camera options. Aiming is dog shit, coming out of zooming doesn't match the reticle, and trying to loot boxes/crates with the reticle is just so bad.

A part of me wants to really see my character, but fuck did they screw up third person.

1 hour ago, AndrewDean84 said:

Funnily enough, I just read that the people who purchased the game through GOG wont get the update, or something along those lines.

The GOG version didn't get the multiplayer part of the update. Fortunately, GOG is issuing refunds until 07/29 to everyone.

6 hours ago, Pikachu said:

The GOG version didn't get the multiplayer part of the update. Fortunately, GOG is issuing refunds until 07/29 to everyone.

That's awesome on GOG.  Fucking ridiculous on Hello Games part though.  It's like, they always find a way to fuck something up badly.  

Re downloaded after the new patch and played for about 45 mins. The 3rd person mode is nice but seems to be hastily thrown together, your character model clips thru a lot of the terrain. The game play loop is still the same run here,shoot this,grab that,run to ship.The game started me on world of ice and I was surrounded by the observer robots, I had to run 30 seconds in one direction to find a spot that I could mine for materials, I could see a new comer to this game quickly becoming frustrated. It really seems like a poor way of starting out.  PC UI controls are some of if not the worse I ve ever used when using KB/M, it really feels like an after thought and at 4k the frame rate is stuck at 30 fps. 

On 7/25/2018 at 8:30 AM, Biggie said:

Yeah I almost wanted to uninstall the game within the first 30 minutes. 

Those sentinels are annoying. There was no advance warning, and when i destroyed the first one, barely survived and 2 more spawned I was ready to throw my controller. 

Then I find my ship and have no idea what I need to do. The Tips/Objectives in the lower right of the screen are easy to miss. 

I started really liking the game once I got used to the gameplay loop, but then I started getting attacked by much more powerful fighters everytime I leave a planet. It's like the sentinels all over again. :frustrated:

I want to get a friend into the game, but I am definitely going to have to help him get through the intro, otherwise he will uninstall the game. 

11 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

You can just run away from those sentinels. They don't move fast and will quickly lose sight of you.

I would have to go into caves. Little fuckers would follow me through forests for over 200u, and when I thought I lost them they just appeared and started shooting me again. 

They operate like the cops in GTA, do something illegal enough they'll shoot you, shoot them back more will come, hide and they will lose track of you after a timer. Though sometimes if you stop what you're doing before they scan you they'll leave you alone if you're just mining plants. And some planets they'll shoot you on sight no matter what. Just pay attention.

8 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

They operate like the cops in GTA, do something illegal enough they'll shoot you, shoot them back more will come, hide and they will lose track of you after a timer. Though sometimes if you stop what you're doing before they scan you they'll leave you alone if you're just mining plants. And some planets they'll shoot you on sight no matter what. Just pay attention.

Pretty much this. 

As for figuring out what to do, follow the prompts in the lower right corner, at least for the first while. It will literally lead you, step by step, to where you have the tools and blueprints to go wherever you want. 

At the end of the day, if you like exploring, crafting, building and the like, you'll probably like this game. I think one of the stars of this game could be the freighter and fleet building. 

People aren't going to get that in the first few hours. Later on though, I think you'll really see what this update brings to the table. 

Okay here are my first impressions as a first-time player:

1) Some of the worst controls in a PC game I've ever used. Seriously, who thought that using X and F and Q and E together in a menu was intuitive? And sometimes you can click left-click to progress in a menu, but other times you need to hit F. It's really poorly designed.

2) Third-person looks okay, but you can tell it's tacked on. No customization for camera position, etc. Character should be near bottom of screen, but is smack dab in the middle (vertically). 

3) I haven't played a grind-fest this bad since Star Fox Adventures. The "loop" as people call it is horrible. You can summon your ship anywhere on the planet for free as many times as you want, but if you want to take off and land you need to make metal plating? This is a really poorly-designed ship!

4) Inventory system is also really bad.

It's a nice looking game, but I feel done with it after 5 or 6 hours already.

49 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Okay here are my first impressions as a first-time player:

1) Some of the worst controls in a PC game I've ever used. Seriously, who thought that using X and F and Q and E together in a menu was intuitive? And sometimes you can click left-click to progress in a menu, but other times you need to hit F. It's really poorly designed.

2) Third-person looks okay, but you can tell it's tacked on. No customization for camera position, etc. Character should be near bottom of screen, but is smack dab in the middle (vertically). 

3) I haven't played a grind-fest this bad since Star Fox Adventures. The "loop" as people call it is horrible. You can summon your ship anywhere on the planet for free as many times as you want, but if you want to take off and land you need to make metal plating? This is a really poorly-designed ship!

4) Inventory system is also really bad.

It's a nice looking game, but I feel done with it after 5 or 6 hours already.

1) The controls are clunky, even on console. You get used to them, but it's too bad they didn't optimize them for a keyboard. 

2) No disagreement. It's more there to present scale and share screenshots I think, though. 

3) The whole game is a grind of progression. Like, if you don't like those types of games, don't go near it, unless you wanna do the creative mode. I think the single biggest thing going against this game at this point is that people don't understand that it's basically space Minecraft. 

Also, I'm not sure if it's true you can summon your ship anywhere? Maybe it is, but I feel like I tried it a few nights ago without the takeoff fuel and it didn't work. But even if you can, I think that critique is a little obtuse, and takes very little time to craft the components to take off. As you progress, it will become effortless to make such a simple thing, which is part of the appeal if you like this type of game. 

4) I'd need to know what specifically you find bad about it. It's a little clunky, but fairly simple to use.