China imposes new tariffs on $75 billion in US goods

22 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

22 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

“The Democrats for years have been claiming that China should be stood up to. Now, Trump is, and we've just got to accept the pain that comes with standing up to China,”

"Oh god, why did you do that?!"

"You said you wanted to lose weight."

"You cut off my arm!!!"

"You're welcome."

4 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

This is what stood out to me.

Trump ordered businesses out of China like a straight up dictator, and lest his defenders try to shrug it off as hyperbole or just something Trump said for the hell of it Trump immediately went on to insist he absolutely has the power to order everyone out of China and anyone even doubting that is "fake news".

It was like how the Greenland thing went from farce to quite serious, only in an even more conpressed timeline.

CNN: Why did the president take a shit on the Resolute desk?

Republicans: The president would never take a shit on the Resolute desk.

Trump: I HAVE AN ABSOLUTE RIGHT TO TAKE A SHIT ON THE RESOLUTE DESK!!!

For years, a story circulated in Washington about Donald Trump’s attempt to nab a job leading nuclear negotiations with the Soviet Union in the nineteen-eighties

Trump then said, “Let me tell you what I would have done if I’d been appointed.” He explained that he would have welcomed—very warmly—the Soviet delegation. He would have made sure the country’s envoys were comfortable—very comfortable—at the table.

Then, Trump told Burt, he would have stood up, shouted “Fuck you!,” and left the room. (The White House did not respond to a request for comment.)

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/for-trump-diplomacy-is-quite-literally-a-four-letter-word

23 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I watched this report on CNN yesterday and they talked to some farmers who are being directly affected by this... all three voted for Trump and all three said that the business they've lost from China is probably gone for good  because China has already found other suppliers.  Very stable genius indeed.

Oh, they'll vote for him again next year undoubtedly.  I've just had it up to here with these types of stories from the American media.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Jason said:

I still think market manipulation by tanking the market with tariffs that never happen is what's going on here. 

Trump Announces Deal With China and Delays Planned Tariffs https://nyti.ms/2M49FVs

Ohhh thats whats happening, the "deal" doesn't have a timeline to remove current tariffs AKA there is no deal just no more new tariffs.

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

Ummm... there is no deal yet. Nothing has been finalized.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-claims-trade-win-china-but-deal-still-far-off-2019-10

The agreement reached Friday marks a significant step toward ending the dispute, though both sides acknowledged a long road ahead to ending the tariff war that has been roiling global markets since March of 2018.

A written pact has yet to be signed and is still weeks away, and the deal could still fall through in the meantime. Trump told reporters he didn't believe that would happen. 

And no offense @Jason but I don't follow Trump on Twitter for a reason. No need to reply to my posts with his Tweets. I get why you do it but no need to do it with me :peace:

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ummm... there is no deal yet. Nothing has been finalized.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-claims-trade-win-china-but-deal-still-far-off-2019-10

And no offense @Jason but I don't follow Trump on Twitter for a reason. No need to reply to my posts with his Tweets. I get why you do it but no need to do it with me :peace:

I actually unfullowed him too, but he makes official government policy via Twitter so I still regularly check in. 

44 minutes ago, Jason said:

I actually unfullowed him too, but he makes official government policy via Twitter so I still regularly check in. 

Which is fucking sad... his Tweets will be part of the Presidential Archives. ALL OF THEM.

44 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I feel like even Trump didn't sound this Animal Farmish back at the start of his term. 

He's definitely shown signs of decline.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/14/stock-market-wall-street-in-focus-after-partial-us-china-trade-deal.html

The report, which cites people familiar with the matter, said Chinese Vice Premier Liu He may lead a delegation as soon as month’s end to iron out the details of “phase one” before President Xi Jinping agrees to it.

China wants Trump to also scrap a planned tariff hike in December in addition to the hike scheduled for this week, the report added.

On Friday, President Trump announced that the first phase of a deal with China had been agreed, though officials on both sides said much more work needed to be done. The partial deal — which covers agriculture, currency and some aspects of intellectual property protections — represents the first step forward to end the trade war in 15 months.

However, the deal does not include many details and Trump has warned it could take up to five weeks to get a pact written. Indeed, analysts are saying it appears to be more of a “temporary truce” than a real trade pact.