Yes more MCU Spider-Man

1 hour ago, ort said:

What kind of crazy deals are they signing in the first place that makes it so hard to get the rights back.

Here ya go, it's the rights to one of our most iconic characters forever! Enjoy!

As far as i know when Marvel made these deals back in the late 90s Marvel was in financial problems and it saved them from going into bankruptcy. 

38 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

They only have the movie rights and can continue to have that as long as they continue to make movies within a set amount of time i believe. 

They have game rights too as well.

30 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Spider-verse did as well as it did because of WOM. The MCU had little to do with it. It was a strange movie and many people didn't know what it even was before it came out. Because everyone that saw it raved about it, that gave it long legs and the reported gross results reflect this. That, and being positioned over the holidays. Not the MCU. Did you forget that Spider-man used to make bank long before an MCU?

I don't get where your count of bad movies comes from. For reasons I can't fathom, most people seem to think the first two Raimi Spider-man movies are GOAT, though most pan the third one. Most people find the first Amazing Spider-Man acceptable while the second one is trash. So that's two bad Spidey films out of six decent to great ones? Only two of which were made under the influence of Disney... So where do you get their "bad batting average" from?

Also Venom did well because it came out with zero competition and a whole heap of demand for a standalone Venom movie from millennials since like...the 90s? People love Venom.

Spiderverse is a GREAT movie and it had great Word of mouth. Does it do as well without coming out after Infinity War? maybe... did it get a boost from Infinity war that Venom also benefited from? I would argue yes.

My count of bad Sony produced Spiderman movies:  Two out of the three Raimi movies are considered good with the second being considered GREAT... the third being considered terrible. The two Marc Webb Spidey movies are considered what, mediocre at best? Venom, despite making money, is considered to be pretty bad overall. Spiderverse is Great. So not counting the two Disney produced Spidey films (which I wasn't counting when I made my assessment) You have two unarguably GREAT Spiderman projects produced by Sony, two considered to be pretty bad and a bunch of mediocrity. THAT'S where my assessment came from... in my opinion.

37 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

They only have the movie rights and can continue to have that as long as they continue to make movies within a set amount of time i believe. 

indeed that is what I recall as well,  which I believe was a similar deal with Fox at the time which is one of the reasons we got that craptastic FF4 movie.

There is a similar deal with Universal in regards to having Marvel rides in the parks in Florida. If I recall correctly, they have to maintain the rides to a certain standard/condition or they lose the rights. For a while Disney wasn't supposed to be able to have any kind of Marvel presence period in the east coast parks, but they must have negotiated something because they ended up having characters so up in the parks. I think Dr. Strange might have been the first one to appear, but since then they've had some crazy ass GOTG singing/stage show and they are building a GoTG thrill ride in Epcot. 

23 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

As far as i know when Marvel made these deals back in the late 90s Marvel was in financial problems and it saved them from going into bankruptcy. 

Yes and back then the properties worth the most money were Spiderman, The Xmen, The Hulk, The Punisher and The Fantastic Four. Everyone else was considered worthless. Later the properties were all over the place. 

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Spiderverse is a GREAT movie and it had great Word of mouth. Does it do as well without coming out after Infinity War? maybe... did it get a boost from Infinity war that Venom also benefited from? I would argue yes.

My count of bad Sony produced Spiderman movies:  Two out of the three Raimi movies are considered good with the second being considered GREAT... the third being considered terrible. The two Marc Webb Spidey movies are considered what, mediocre at best? Venom, despite making money, is considered to be pretty bad overall. Spiderverse is Great. So not counting the two Disney produced Spidey films (which I wasn't counting when I made my assessment) You have two unarguably GREAT Spiderman projects produced by Sony, two considered to be pretty bad and a bunch of mediocrity. THAT'S where my assessment came from... in my opinion.

I enjoyed  Spider-man 2 but thought it was a bit over-rated personally. 3 was a disaster. And I really enjoyed Amazing Spider-man 1, it's only real flaw was whatever the hell mystery they were trying to weave (pun intended) with Peter's dad. 

4 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I enjoyed  Spider-man 2 but thought it was a bit over-rated personally. 3 was a disaster. And I really enjoyed Amazing Spider-man 1, it's only real flaw was whatever the hell mystery they were trying to weave (pun intended) with Peter's dad. 

I think they were building up to Pete's parents being spies for Shield... a storyline that had its roots in the comics at one point. I liked the Amazing Spiderman too but for a lot of folks its considered forgettable. A lot of folks feel like Garfield's Peter Parker was too... "Twilight-ish" if you get my meaning :lol: Amazing Spiderman Two was a trainwreck. Holland has been the best live action Spidey to date though.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think they were building up to Pete's parents being spies for Shield... a storyline that had its roots in the comics at one point. I liked the Amazing Spiderman too but for a lot of folks its considered forgettable. A lot of folks feel like Garfield's Peter Parker was too... "Twilight-ish" if you get my meaning :lol: Amazing Spiderman Two was a trainwreck. Holland has been the best live action Spidey to date though.

2 was indeed a trainwreck and yet if I see it on tv I'll usually leave it on. As for the parent story. I get it, but it was still stupid, especially since they never had the rights to even mention SHIELD

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I remember liking the first Amazing Spider-Man. I have no idea if I still would enjoy it front to back.

All this is most likely just negotiating through the press, and neither company needs to finalize a deal right away. They'll take their time, figure things out, come to a new arrangement, and we'll have Spider-Man in Phase 5, no problem. 

That or Disney just decides to buy Sony pictures and avoid this mess from happening again. 

I have to agree with Brick on the matter. I tend to think someone will have to give eventually and Spider-Man will once again be part of the MCU. Sony is getting killed stock wise, public/fans backlash is outrageous and too many ties to the MCU that will be hard to ignore. Watch it be a last moment deal much like what happened with Civil War and squeeze someone in with some quick reshoots or cgi for tying it back into the already established universe he’s been in

43 minutes ago, Brick said:

All this is most likely just negotiating through the press, and neither company needs to finalize a deal right away. They'll take their time, figure things out, come to a new arrangement, and we'll have Spider-Man in Phase 5, no problem. 

That or Disney just decides to buy Sony pictures and avoid this mess from happening again. 

I basically said all this two pages ago :lol:

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Insomniac Games has detailed the reasons why Spider-Man is going to be a PlayStation 4 exclusive game when it releases next year. As explained by IG's official Twitter account, Spider-Man IP is now completely in the hands of Marvel, which has handed it out to Sony in order to establish a new deal in gaming. Sony, that works exclusively on its own platforms, has decided to assign the game(s) to Insomniac Games.

https://www.gamepur.com/news/23463-insomniac-explains-why-spider-man-game-not-releasing-xbox-one-and-pc.html

That to me seems like Marvel has the video game rights.

Why would anybody want Disney to buy Sony Pictures just to freaking keep making comic book movies with Spiderman in them.  The last thing Hollywood needs is Disney owning yet another studio.  Sony Pictures Classics is literally one of the last major studios left that supports independent cinema.  I'm sorry, but I care far more about original, creative films seeing wide releases than I do about comic book films being made.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vaxick said:

Why would anybody want Disney to buy Sony Pictures just to freaking keep making comic book movies with Spiderman in them.  The last thing Hollywood needs is Disney owning yet another studio.  Sony Pictures Classics is literally one of the last major studios left that supports independent cinema.  I'm sorry, but I care far more about original, creative films seeing wide releases than I do about comic book films being made.  

I don't think anybody here does or has said that they do... 

4 hours ago, vaxick said:

This is exactly how I felt about Disney buying Fox.

Sorry, comic book fans, but the interminable MCU films ain't worth this industry's consolidation.

Hell, if I could go back i time and prevent Disney from buying Lucasfilm at the risk of Star Wars "dying", I would without hesitation at this point.

53 minutes ago, Brick said:

I don't think anybody here does or has said that they do... 

Narrator: They didn't, it doesn't matter though... it gives the smug a reason to feel superior and another opportunity lecture us on the dangers of media consolidation :lol:

27 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Also go back and prevent the Pixar and marvel purchases

Why? Marvel and Pixar weren't rival studios. Pixar was a specialty animation house and Marvel was a comic book company. Those purchase are not the same as Disney buying Fox... Hell Time/Warner has owned DC comics for like 30 years at LEAST. Maybe 40. Even Disney buying Lucasfilm isn't the same because Lucasfilm wasn't a rival studio... it was basically a production company. Studios have been buying production companies since the 70's-80's. 

Would I like for Marvel to have all their characters under one roof? Sure. Do I want Disney to buy up every studio in town? No. But do i see the sky falling when they do as someone who lives here and works in the industry? Nope. There's so much content being produced right now and so many new players stepping into the industry that people should't be shocked or surprised when more of the old studios start "Consolidating" just to compete. Tech companies are flooding the market with content and have enough cash to seriously threaten the studio system as well as their OWN distribution platforms via streaming.

I wasn't joking about Sony Japan looking to sell Sony studios a couple of years ago. It was in the works and a lot of people on that lot were nervous about it. I don't know if it's COMPLETELY off the table yet but a lot of these moves to consolidate aren't just about "comic book fans wanting to see their characters play together." In a lot of ways, it's the classic studios looking to survive.