Yes more MCU Spider-Man

Just now, Jason said:

Also, nobody answered my earlier question. Would this JUST affect solo films, sticking Spidey in a status along the lines of where Hulk currently sits, or would Spidey be COMPLETELY out? 

To the best of my knowledge, the entire deal expired upon release of Far From Home though there was language which allowed for an extension of certain parameters were met. From

the sounds of it, Sony wanted to move forward with the extension while Disney wanted to re-negotiate for more control as a co-financier.

3 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Which they could still make on X-Box and Nintendo exclusive.

They would make less money by not being on PlayStation just because they got their feelings hurt.

Disney is and always have been straight up greedy as hell! And I say that as a diehard Disney fan. It would suck not to have spidey in the MCU, but they could always allude to him being killed and that could be the jump off point for another of their characters, someone has to rise to fill the void he leaves behind. 

I could completely see Disney screwing with Sony and changing release dates for some of their monster projects just to try and crush some of Sony's releases. 

49 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I hope this works out, but seeing as how Marvel can take C list (Iron Man) and no list (Guardians) properties and make them red hot, and rank turds (Amazing Spider-Man 2) and pleasant bowel movements (Venom) make $700M+... why would anyone budge?

As long as Marvel is making super hero movies the general public won't know who makes the next spider-man movie, they'll probably assume it is marvel and it will still make tons of money.

This would be lame as fuck if we didn’t get some kind of conclusion to MCU spidey. And it’d be bizarre if Sony tried to conclude it themselves. I wouldn’t mind Sony doing their own thing, but now isn’t the ideal time for the movies sake. 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

This would be lame as fuck if we didn’t get some kind of conclusion to MCU spidey. And it’d be bizarre if Sony tried to conclude it themselves. I wouldn’t mind Sony doing their own thing, but now isn’t the ideal time for the movies sake. 

That's kind of where I'm at, I think--that I'm fine with Sony taking back Spidey overall but not Sony abruptly yanking him back from the MCU like this.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sony-fires-back-at-marvel-spider-man-movie-divorce-1233490

“Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise,” says a Sony spokesperson. “We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live-action Spider-Man film.”

The studio then says Feige, who shepherds the robust Marvel Cinematic Universe for Disney-owned Marvel, may just have too much on his plate, given that Disney recently acquired additional Marvel characters via its acquisition of 21st Century Fox.

“We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him — including all their newly added Marvel properties — do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own,” says the statement. “Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.”

19 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's not about Money... Disney was only getting 5%. They'll be happy with 10 or 15%.  This will be figured out by the weekend and Sony will probably figure out a way to tie their OTHER superhero movies into the MCU and get to use Spidey in a Venom movie. This shit ain't gonna last... folks would turn on Sony so fast.

Like they turned on Spiderverse? :confused: I think if Sony could maintain that level of quality, no one's going to turn a blind eye to them. People want good movies above continuity in a single comic-verse

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

Like they turned on Spiderverse? :confused: I think if Sony could maintain that level of quality, no one's going to turn a blind eye to them. People want good movies above continuity in a single comic-verse

Uh, what? They hadn't dropped Spiderman from the MCU when Spiderverse came out and as others have stated, Spiderverse was an amazing movie and a critical hit. But it wasn't a blockbuster mega-performer. And I would contend that Spiderverse did as well as it did because, like Venom, it was coming on the heels of Avengers Endgame and  today's audiences definitely associate anything Spider related with the MCU. It's why Venom did so well despite being an subpar movie at best. Folks weren't sure if it was in the MCU or not and were hoping for some sort of cameo that would tie it to the MCU.

Let me out it this way... can Sony build a great, self contained Spider Universe independent of the MCU? Sure they can... but the odds are not in their favor based on their past films. Out of the of the seven Sony produced Spiderman films and Spider-related films, they've made two, maybe THREE great ones and four mediocre to bad ones. Not a great batting average. And judging from the reaction on social media, I think I'm right in assuming audiences would not react kindly to Holland's Spiderman being pulled from the MCU, ESPECIALLY on the heels of the most successful Spiderman film EVER  which also ended in a very interesting cliffhanger. You're gonna ignore that and start from scratch, showing Uncle Ben getting killed AGAIN? Ok :peace:

So the rumors in the trades are now that Disney’s insistence upon the 50/50 split was not just in regards to MCU Spider-man, but all Spider-Man IP held by Sony.

Again, this is about Disney trying to wrestle control of their IP back from Sony. Sony clearly made the prudent business decision to tell Disney to pound sand, though I still expect a deal to be reached to keep the MCU spider-man going.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So the rumors in the trades are now that Disney’s insistence upon the 50/50 split was not just in regards to MCU Spider-man, but all Spider-Man IP held by Sony.

Again, this is about Disney trying to wrestle control of their IP back from Sony. Sony clearly made the prudent business decision to tell Disney to pound sand, though I still expect a deal to be reached to keep the MCU spider-man going.

Then that was just greed on Disney's part and they overplayed THEIR hand... What exactly is Sony's deal with Spiderman anyway? Do they own the character FOREVER outside of comic books?

I have no doubt that Disney is being horribly greedy and trying to bully Sony into a worse deal.

I have very little doubt that Sony would make very similar money on Spider-man stuff without Disney.

I also think that both the live action Spider-man movies and other MCU films would be better if Disney and Sony can make a deal here.

So while I don't really want to root for Disney to suck more money out of their few remaining competitors, I do hope they can make a deal.

2 minutes ago, ort said:

What kind of crazy deals are they signing in the first place that makes it so hard to get the rights back.

Here ya go, it's the rights to one of our most iconic characters forever! Enjoy!

I don't think Disney had the rights before? Sony's allowing Spider-Man to be featured in Disney's MCU movies, but someone had to get the rights to the movies, and Sony was the company that got it.

I know that movie rights for superhero films weren't a big deal for a long time. Look at how barely anything existed in the 80s while mostly just being Batman and Spawn and Blade in the 90s. So while it seems weird now, superhero films weren't the huge thing they are now in this superhero fatigue I keep hearing we're in.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Then that was just greed on Disney's part and they overplayed THEIR hand... What exactly is Sony's deal with Spiderman anyway? Do they own the character FOREVER outside of comic books?

They only have the movie rights and can continue to have that as long as they continue to make movies within a set amount of time i believe. 

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Uh, what? They hadn't dropped Spiderman from the MCU when Spiderverse came out and as others have stated, Spiderverse was an amazing movie and a critical hit. But it wasn't a blockbuster mega-performer. And I would contend that Spiderverse did as well as it did because, like Venom, it was coming on the heels of Avengers Endgame and  today's audiences definitely associate anything Spider related with the MCU. It's why Venom did so well despite being an subpar movie at best. Folks weren't sure if it was in the MCU or not and were hoping for some sort of cameo that would tie it to the MCU.

Let me out it this way... can Sony build a great, self contained Spider Universe independent of the MCU? Sure they can... but the odds are not in their favor based on their past films. Out of the of the seven Sony produced Spiderman films and Spider-related films, they've made two, maybe THREE great ones and four mediocre to bad ones. Not a great batting average. And judging from the reaction on social media, I think I'm right in assuming audiences would not react kindly to Holland's Spiderman being pulled from the MCU, ESPECIALLY on the heels of the most successful Spiderman film EVER  which also ended in a very interesting cliffhanger. You're gonna ignore that and start from scratch, showing Uncle Ben getting killed AGAIN? Ok :peace:

Spider-verse did as well as it did because of WOM. The MCU had little to do with it. It was a strange movie and many people didn't know what it even was before it came out. Because everyone that saw it raved about it, that gave it long legs and the reported gross results reflect this. That, and being positioned over the holidays. Not the MCU. Did you forget that Spider-man used to make bank long before an MCU?

I don't get where your count of bad movies comes from. For reasons I can't fathom, most people seem to think the first two Raimi Spider-man movies are GOAT, though most pan the third one. Most people find the first Amazing Spider-Man acceptable while the second one is trash. So that's two bad Spidey films out of six decent to great ones? Only two of which were made under the influence of Disney... So where do you get their "bad batting average" from?

Also Venom did well because it came out with zero competition and a whole heap of demand for a standalone Venom movie from millennials since like...the 90s? People love Venom.

1 hour ago, ort said:

What kind of crazy deals are they signing in the first place that makes it so hard to get the rights back.

Here ya go, it's the rights to one of our most iconic characters forever! Enjoy!

These deals:

-Spider-Man to Sony

-X-Men and FF to Fox

-Hulk to Universal

are from before Disney bought Marvel. Marvel was selling off the rights like this because they were struggling to keep the lights on.

IIRC technically Disney can make a standalone Hulk film, but Universal would get the distribution rights. And I think the first couple of Iron Man movies were part of that same deal and that Disney had to buy Universal out of their interest in those films.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

These deals:

-Spider-Man to Sony

-X-Men and FF to Fox

-Hulk to Universal

are from before Disney bought Marvel. Marvel was selling off the rights like this because they were struggling to keep the lights on.

IIRC technically Disney can make a standalone Hulk film, but Universal would get the distribution rights. And I think the first couple of Iron Man movies were part of that same deal and that Disney had to buy Universal out of their interest in those films.

marvel-rights-2-1200x960-300dpi.png

• Like 2