Yes more MCU Spider-Man

i mean Disney trying for 50/50 from 5 is hilarious (although probably deserved) but for Sony to just walk away is stupid.  Anyone with half a brain knows disney/marvel is what saved this series for sony

Now they will go back to making shitty spidey movies and fuck up the MCU continuity that has been built for the character. 

• Sad 1

Sony is making the smart play, and who cares if there is no Spidey in the MCU. Marvel has a deeeep roster of D-list characters they can turn into the next billion dollar franchise.

Spidey belongs HOME with the MCU. Sony needs to realize that the only reason behind the success of the franchise in the last couple  years is A. Kevin Feige, B. Tom Holland, C. The shared universe.

Meanwhile now they're going to shoehorn in Venom & Carnage more than likely (never thought I'd be writing this in such a way that I'm pissed off about this fact) and expect the same receipts at the box office. Its very short sighted of Sony ... which is oxymoronic really as that's them to a "T" but nevertheless.

• Thanks 1

This will get figured out... Sony is feeling good right now with the successes of Venom, Spiderverse and the Spiderman videogame they may feel like they don't need Disney/Marvel. Disney doesn't take a lot of money from the solo Spidey movies so this is about credits and egos.

36 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

*bookmarking thread for when Sony makes gobs more cash keeping the whole profit instead of splitting it*

They'll make money sure... but they'll fuck the franchise up in the process (again) and they won't make as much money as they would with Spidey being a part of the MCU. If Spiderverse and Venom tanked, they wouldn't have been so bold. But one could also argue that those films wouldn't have been as successful if folks hadn't associated them with the MCU Spidey.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Disney doesn't take a lot of money from the solo Spidey movies so this is about credits and egos.

The Deadline article about this very explicitly said it's about money, but I was thinking that the details of the story sort of gave me the impression that the money is a proxy for some kind of ego clash between Feige and the Sony people.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This will get figured out... Sony is feeling good right now with the successes of Venom, Spiderverse and the Spiderman videogame they may feel like they don't need Disney/Marvel. Disney doesn't take a lot of money from the solo Spidey movies so this is about credits and egos.

They'll make money sure... but they'll fuck the franchise up in the process (again) and they won't make as much money as they would with Spidey being a part of the MCU. If Spiderverse and Venom tanked, they wouldn't have been so bold. But one could also argue that those films wouldn't have been as successful if folks hadn't associated them with the MCU Spidey.

Disney wanted 45% more of the box office. There isn’t a single Spider-Man movie released by Sony that made so little that this new deal would have been better than going it alone.

It's not about Money... Disney was only getting 5%. They'll be happy with 10 or 15%.  This will be figured out by the weekend and Sony will probably figure out a way to tie their OTHER superhero movies into the MCU and get to use Spidey in a Venom movie. This shit ain't gonna last... folks would turn on Sony so fast.

Just now, elbobo said:

I think sony is actually in a stronger position here, they have shown complete willingness to scrap the universe and redo it every few years where as Disney is completely beholden to continuity at this point. 

SOny is definitely in a stronger position... until they overplay their hands on fuck everything up.

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

The Deadline article about this very explicitly said it's about money, but I was thinking that the details of the story sort of gave me the impression that the money is a proxy for some kind of ego clash between Feige and the Sony people.

Read the update @elbobo posted... the author of that article is a good friend of mine. It's about Fiege's producer credit.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

But did Disney actually want a 50/50 split? It seems like that was their starting point for negotiations and then Sony just walked instead of countering.

Generally when you say “I want X”, you want X. Might they have been willing to take less? Possibly, or possibly not. Disney’s attitude is generally pretty much take it or leave it. Remember when major theater chains threatened to drop Iron Man 3 because disney pushed their top end film rental to 63%? Disney didn’t flinch, and have continued to go up since then.

But the money issue is just part of it, they want to fundamentally change the relationship between Sony and Disney on Spider-man and Sony has no reason to do that.

I do agree with skillz that some of this is negotiating through the press for a deal that will still get done.

I just don't understand why in the first place Sony would want to tamper with things in what has been a lucrative & beneficial relationship since Civil War. They did see that Venom didn't do all that well, regardless of the optimism they may hold with Serkis helming the sequel & Harrelson co-starring, why not have some sort of deal wherein it's a 2 sided street and both companies profit? 

3 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

I just don't understand why in the first place Sony would want to tamper with things in what has been a lucrative & beneficial relationship since Civil War. They did see that Venom didn't do all that well, regardless of the optimism they may hold with Serkis helming the sequel & Harrelson co-starring, why not have some sort of deal wherein it's a 2 sided street and both companies profit? 

1. Disney is the one wanting to “tamper” here. They want to jointly finance and produce the film instead of renting out Feige and Co to Sony. Disney wants more control.

2. Venom made a ton of money and was not even good.

Just now, Remarkableriots said:

If they can't reach an arrangement what's stopping Disney from never releasing another Disney owned property on PlayStation again? 

Their desire to make money?