Sign in to follow this  
legend

General Gaming No Man's Sky Beyond is out today -- it's massive

This patch is crazy big. I plan on trying it later today.

Some highlights from a huge list of great stuff you can find here:

https://www.nomanssky.com/beyond-update/

• 32 player multiplayer
  • VR support (I may need to get desktop VR for this!)
  • Central hub to meet people
  • Organic encounters with other players in the same location is no longer only seeing an orb of them, you now get their entire avatar & ship present
  • The hub lets you easily go to other player's bases and curated bases that are on highlight
  • You can now carry a nearly unlimited amount of any resource (cut down on that damn resource management!)
  • You can set up power generates in your bases to keep your miners continually mining

What Hello Games have accomplished with No Man's Sky considering its "rocky" (to say the very least!) start is nothing short of remarkable! :clap:

This reminds me, I bought a copy for $10 like a year ago. I'll have to toss that into the ol' PS4 at some point. 

I'm glad they've stayed dedicated to the game, but I hope they learn next time to be dedicated to the game BEFORE it comes out, and if something fucks up, not to go radio silent and ignore the fans they disappointed for months on end. It's great they turned it around --not many do-- but I'd rather them come out strong rather than limp along to finally getting strong 2 years later next time around.

Although it's multiplayer now some people are sad that it's lost that original feeling of isolation and being the only person to have visited a planet.

The simple act of flying off the surface of a planet and landing on another is amazing, but the problem that I've had with No Man's Sky is that the resource gathering and building is boring and uneventful.  I understand why some people might like it, but I don't have the compulsion to build bases or colonies or interact with the game's systems.  Outer Wilds proves, for me at least, that the "endless" nature of games like this has significantly less appeal than carefully crafted and meaningful experiences.

4 hours ago, legend said:

• You can now carry a nearly unlimited amount of any resource (cut down on that damn resource management!)

This is making me boot the game up tonight. 

12 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

The simple act of flying off the surface of a planet and landing on another is amazing, but the problem that I've had with No Man's Sky is that the resource gathering and building is boring and uneventful.  I understand why some people might like it, but I don't have the compulsion to build bases or colonies or interact with the game's systems.  Outer Wilds proves, for me at least, that the "endless" nature of games like this has significantly less appeal than carefully crafted and meaningful experiences.

Yeah, Outer Wilds is definitely the space exploration game I've always wanted.

Tried it last night. I can start a new game, but loading my old save crashes as soon as it starts rendering! So I think it's time to wait a couple weeks for patches! :lol: 

2 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

It pains me that it's being slept on, because I would put it among the best games I've ever played.

I didn't sleep on it. I played it and was underwhelmed.

2 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

It pains me that it's being slept on, because I would put it among the best games I've ever played.

This game completely slipped past my radar. I will definitely give it a shot after I'm done with horizon zero dawn. 

I picked this up when they announced the VR mode but I haven't put too much time in. Being able to carry an unlimited amount makes a huge difference. I'll certainly have to give it a go.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

I picked this up when they announced the VR mode but I haven't put too much time in. Being able to carry an unlimited amount makes a huge difference. I'll certainly have to give it a go.

Just to be clear, it's not truly unlimited, just a huge increase that in practice should feel unlimited. The amount of resource you could carry in one slot went from 250 to 10,000; so a 40x increase.

5 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Wow. You’ve played a lot of shitty games huh

I tried again today, it keeps freezing on me. I am tempted to start a new game - I’m just assuming it has to do with incompatibility with old saves. 

2 hours ago, Marcelus said:

so is this game finally what it promised to be initially? I've always held out hope for it

I'd say that's the case.

2 hours ago, Marcelus said:

so is this game finally what it promised to be initially? I've always held out hope for it

Assuming they can fix all the new bugs and performance issues they introduced, yeah pretty much.

On 8/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, Biggie said:

Wow. You’ve played a lot of shitty games huh

You realize he’s talking about Outer Wilds and not No Mans Sky right?

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

You didn’t have fun puking? 

No I didn't get sick. I might try again with the move controllers.

I popped back into the game for a bit to try out the VR.

My re-introduction to the game reminded me just how freaking unintuitive nearly everything about it is. I couldn't figure out how to craft a basic commodity for quite a while, constantly getting lost in a tangled mess of menus. There isn't even a map of controls. You can remap all the controls, but the remapping screen doesn't even show you the default key. Apparently the transporter that I'd built at my base now required power to work, which seems like a real step back in usability. I also had just recently gotten a giant freighter, but I hardly recall what I'm even supposed to do with it. I'm considering starting over just to figure out how to play the stupid game.

As to the VR experience, it's somewhere between amazing and terrible. It's quite impressive that this is the full game in VR. No limits on what you can do, no need for a different save, just a decision to play in VR or not. It's great.

It's also a huge mess.

The HUD is always pointed forwards, which I guess makes sense if you're playing on a PSVR, but if you have a room scale setup it's incredibly stupid. This is a game where you're wearing a helmet all the time, having a HUD that is attached to that helmet, and therefore your vision, only makes sense. Then you get into the menus, which are already a jumbled mess outside of VR, are even worse to navigate in VR. There's nothing fun about navigating strange floating 2D menus in VR. Almost everything, from the way you change gun modes to the way you interact with objects is cumbersome or lacking. There are games that have done pretty well in this regard, but I think the rule of thumb in VR is to stay away from menus as much as possible.

Then you get to flying a ship, the experience that I expected to be the best, is still pretty messy. Inside my little ship there is a ton of detail, but you can only interact with the throttle, the control stick, and two handles on either side of the cockpit that do nothing. There are a bunch of visible buttons, but none are interactive. When I got an incoming radio message, I couldn't interact with the notification, I had to bring up some jankey menu to accept the call. Actually flying was mostly fine, but not great. Using a joystick with the Oculus touch controllers is odd, but it works well enough. For some reason there is no fine control of the throttle as far as I could tell. You can have it full ahead, full reverse, or in neutral. It seems like there could be an analog acceleration option using one of the joysticks if fine control of a throttle is too hard. There's also the issue of travel time. I imagine it's a function of how the game works or maybe it was even a gameplay choice, but traveling a few minutes on a screen is much more bearable than doing the same in VR.

This is a game that has been iterated on in very significant ways since launch, so I suspect that some of this will get ironed out over time, but right now it's hard to recommend playing NMS in VR for any real length of time. I might give the game another shot, and I might even try the VR mode out occasionally, but it's not the ultimate VR demo it could be.