Space Force

Seriously, what the fuck is this shit?

What's pathetic is that there is so much chaos and noise surrounding this presidency that this isn't the single most talked about and mocked thing in the history of ever. If any other president just casually announced they were starting a space force with no details or information or anything, it would be the most ridiculed and mocked announcement ever. It would spark months of debate. But in Trump Land? It's a subhead for a day and then we move on.

What a fucking clown this man is.

Can you used goddamned steam in space?

I said, “You don’t use steam anymore for catapult?” “No sir.” I said, “Ah, how is it working?” “Sir, not good. Not good. Doesn’t have the power. You know the steam is just brutal. You see that sucker going and steam’s going all over the place, there’s planes thrown in the air.”

It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital. What is digital? And it’s very complicated, you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out. And I said—and now they want to buy more aircraft carriers. I said, “What system are you going to be—” “Sir, we’re staying with digital.” I said, “No you’re not. You going to goddamned steam, the digital costs hundreds of millions of dollars more money and it’s no good.”

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Can you used goddamned steam in space?

Good lord. The problem with EMALS isn't necessarily that it's a bad idea, and now that it's mostly ready it absolutely shouldn't be abandoned. The problem is the whole stupid notion of concurrency; putting a system into production while it's still undergoing significant design changes. Maybe that idea works fine for some systems, but for something so massive and so obviously critical to the mission of a carrier, it's a ridiculous proposition.

On the actual topic of the freaking Space Force. What is it exactly that Trump thinks we need to do up there that we're not already? I'd love to hear what the Air Force thinks about all this. Besides, what are we going to do, build a new division of the armed forces that we send to space on Russian rockets?

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

On the actual topic of the freaking Space Force. What is it exactly that Trump thinks we need to do up there that we're not already? I'd love to hear what the Air Force thinks about all this. Besides, what are we going to do, build a new division of the armed forces that we send to space on Russian rockets?

"Dear Mr. Putin, please let us use your sputniks to get the best American troops into space so they can shoot down your satellites."

3 hours ago, Massdriver said:

It seems completely unnecessary and would create an entire new command structure. We have the navy and air force which should be able to cover us from space too.

This isn't a new command, it's a new branch to provide forces to the Combatant Commanders. A branch that only one Combatant Command would have any use for, US Strategic Command since space it's area. Creating an entire branch for one Combatant Command is very stupid, every branch contributes forces to every Combatant Command, wtf are Space Force people going to do at Africa Command?

3 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

This isn't a new command, it's a new branch to provide forces to the Combatant Commanders. A branch that only one Combatant Command would have any use for, US Strategic Command since space it's area. Creating an entire branch for one Combatant Command is very stupid, every branch contributes forces to every Combatant Command, wtf are Space Force people going to do at Central Command?

Stare into the vast nothingness of space and contemplate existence

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/pence-details-plan-for-creation-of-space-force-in-what-would-be-the-sixth-branch-of-the-military/2018/08/09/0b40b8d0-9bdc-11e8-8d5e-c6c594024954_story.html?utm_term=.81bc42377a38

Few highlights from Pence:

-US Space Command is going to be recreated as a Combatant Command by the end of the year (I think Rumsfeld disbanded it), assuming responsibility from US Strategic Command. 

-Assistant Secretary of Defense for Space, a new top level civilian position reporting to the Secretary of Defense “to oversee the growth and expansion of the sixth branch of service.”

-"Budget neutral"

Sounds like they are going full retard on this by creating a Department of the Space Force equal to Departments of the Navy, Air Force, and Army vs simply a new branch under the Department of the Air Force (like how the Marine Corps is under the Department of the Navy). That new Assistant Secretary of Defense for Space is basically a Secretary of the Space Force in all but name. 

The natural candidate to build out US Space Command is Air Force Space Command (Strategic Command's Space Component, basically already doing that job, and the Air Force's administrative hub for space), but that means it can't serve as the foundation for US Space Force (pretty sure that's illegal, Joint Chiefs can't have operational authority).

Such a bureaucratic mess.

On 6/27/2018 at 5:41 PM, PaladinSolo said:

Just another nonsensical issue congress won't touch.

I'm going to guess you're right.

The current organizational structure of the Air Force was created by the National Security Act of 1947. It certainly seems like creating a whole new branch of the armed services and reorganizing what is there would require a similar act of congress. In which case, it seems unlikely. 

12 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm going to guess you're right.

The current organizational structure of the Air Force was created by the National Security Act of 1947. It certainly seems like creating a whole new branch of the armed services and reorganizing what is there would require a similar act of congress. In which case, it seems unlikely. 

Congress has to approve just about anything that requires money, and is given sole power to raise armies.