Which is the more overrated “New York” food?

Kal-El814

Which is the more overrated “New York” food?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the more overrated “New York” food?

• Pizza
    • Bagels

Let’s be clear... New York City bagels and pizza are both delicious, there’s no disputing that. However, it’s not uncommon to hear people talk about both of these peasant foods as though you cannot get a decent slice or bagel outside of NYC, which is crazytownbananapants.

What say you D1P?

24 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Let’s be clear... New York City bagels and pizza are both delicious, there’s no disputing that. However, it’s not uncommon to hear people talk about both of these peasant foods as though you cannot get a decent slice or bagel outside of NYC, which is crazytownbananapants.

What say you D1P?

Thank you for that clarification.

I was about to kick your ass.

"New York style pizza" is a thing, but year on year the best pizza award in america is usually award to a pizzeria outside NY. Therefore, yes, good pizza can certainly be found beyond NYC. NYC bagels are also quite good, but again, its not a mystery as to how such things can be made. People are mythically silly about great food in "X" location. Internet + mobile societies means great food from region "X" can be found in many places, though maybe not as commonly. 

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

I think the notion that something cant be truly excellent because it's just bread or just bread and cheese is completely absurd.

Bread and cheese are 2 of my favorite things on earth. :p  I don’t mean peasant food pejoratively!

Ill have to disagree with just about everyone in here. First, I am a NY'er.  My wife has family all over the country and Canada. Some of this family were originally from NY. I have visited these people all over the country and have also traveled to many places in the country. 

1.) NY Pizza outside of the metropolitan area is not the same.  CT/NJ/Eastern PA and some of Upstate NY do it right but no where else in the country is it remotely close to being the same. 

2.) Same thing goes for Bagels. Outside of the metropolitan area, its not the same. This purely anecdotal obviously, but I was chatting it up with guy who owns a bagel store in Florida. He was originally from NY and had a bagel store up here.  He even stated he cannot replicate the NY Style bagel down here no matter what he does. Even so much as having dough shipped down. He attributes this to the water being different. Maybe thats true, I have no idea. If that is actually a thing, maybe it also has to do with the Pizza as well. 

You also left off another food which is not the same anywhere else for some reason - this is the BEC - Bacon/Egg/Cheese on a Roll. .Seems like this can be replicated, but it cant for whatever reason. This is mostly a LI thing. Even NYC doesn't do it as good. 

Now - with that... getting back to my first paragraph, the reason I mentioned is because ALL OF THESE PEOPLE beg us to bring/ship them Pizza and Bagels. Without fail, every time I visit them I have to pack a fucking freezer worth of shit!!! 

2 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Now - with that... getting back to my first paragraph, the reason I mentioned is because ALL OF THESE PEOPLE beg us to bring/ship them Pizza and Bagels. Without fail, every time I visit them I have to pack a fucking freezer worth of shit!!! 

Solution: abandon your friends and family

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Pizza, because Trenton, NJ tomato pie from Delorenzo’s or Papa’s Kitchen is better than any slice I’ve ever had in NYC.

New York is in quotes. Jersey and Connecticut count brah.

As someone who grew up in northern NJ and would go to NYC somehway regularly in college, I put New York in quotes because I don’t think there’s a meaningful, geographical distinction between the city and the surrounding areas for foods like pizza and bagels. I can’t speak to Connecticut since I don’t think I’ve had either food there, so I wouldn’t know exactly where to draw the line. 

24 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

As someone who grew up in northern NJ and would go to NYC somehway regularly in college, I put New York in quotes because I don’t think there’s a meaningful, geographical distinction between the city and the surrounding areas for foods like pizza and bagels. I can’t speak to Connecticut since I don’t think I’ve had either food there, so I wouldn’t know exactly where to draw the line. 

I dont see why saying New York is very good at bagels and pizza is so abhorrent. Of course you can get a solid slice or bagel elsewhere, but there are more great places per capita in New York than anywhere else. Just a fact.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jose said:

I dont see why saying New York is very good at bagels and pizza is so abhorrent. Of course you can get a solid slice or bagel elsewhere, but there are more great places per capita in New York than anywhere else. Just a fact.

I’d agree that NYC has better joints for those foods per capita than many other areas. But I hear pretty regularly that you cannot get a decent one of either of these outside NYC. 

19 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

But I hear pretty regularly that you cannot get a decent one of either of these outside NYC. 

I mean, of course you can, it's just that in NYC you can go into any random pizza or bagel place and you're probably going to get something that would be above-average in most of the country, whereas in most of the country it's really easy to go into a random place and get something bad. You have to actually know where to go in most of the country.

4 hours ago, atom631 said:

Ill have to disagree with just about everyone in here. First, I am a NY'er.  My wife has family all over the country and Canada. Some of this family were originally from NY. I have visited these people all over the country and have also traveled to many places in the country. 

1.) NY Pizza outside of the metropolitan area is not the same.  CT/NJ/Eastern PA and some of Upstate NY do it right but no where else in the country is it remotely close to being the same. 

2.) Same thing goes for Bagels. Outside of the metropolitan area, its not the same. This purely anecdotal obviously, but I was chatting it up with guy who owns a bagel store in Florida. He was originally from NY and had a bagel store up here.  He even stated he cannot replicate the NY Style bagel down here no matter what he does. Even so much as having dough shipped down. He attributes this to the water being different. Maybe thats true, I have no idea. If that is actually a thing, maybe it also has to do with the Pizza as well. 

You also left off another food which is not the same anywhere else for some reason - this is the BEC - Bacon/Egg/Cheese on a Roll. .Seems like this can be replicated, but it cant for whatever reason. This is mostly a LI thing. Even NYC doesn't do it as good. 

When can I come visit to try out true NY pizza and Bagels?

I've never had a bagel in NY.  So I'm saying pizza just because that's what I have a reference point for.  I mean, there's absolutely some good pizza in NY.  But there's good pizza in just about every city of notable size.  NY ain't special in that regard.

8 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

I'll be in Madison. 

Come to Jersey City, it's only a half hour drive away. You need to specifically go to Razza. It's unbelievable pizza. Local Jersey tomatoes and local Jersey water buffalo for the mozzarella. The crust is cracker thin yet it looks like a Neopolitan pizza. Sick.

7 minutes ago, Jose said:

Come to Jersey City, it's only a half hour drive away. You need to specifically go to Razza. It's unbelievable pizza. Local Jersey tomatoes and local Jersey water buffalo for the mozzarella. The crust is cracker thin yet it looks like a Neopolitan pizza. Sick.

I'll see if a few of us can't get away. We have meetings during the day that week, but nothing planned for the evenings.

When we held the meeting here in Chicago, we catered with Chicago specific food--Lou's pizza and Portilllo's hot dogs (even though their beef sandwiches are what they're known for). The salads from both places are also to die for. 

Anyway, here's to hoping the lunches are East Coast specific food.