The Rock, Jason Statham, and Vin Diesel don’t want to lose fake fights in superhero car movies about family

johnny

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fast-furious-stars-complicated-demandi-never-want-to-lose-a-fight-11564673490

“According to producers and crew members on the films, Mr. Statham, 51 years old, negotiated an agreement with the studio that limits how badly he can be beaten up on screen. Mr. Diesel, 52, has his younger sister, a producer on the films, police the number of punches he takes. And Mr. Johnson, 47, enlists producers, editors and fight coordinators to help make sure he always gives as good as he gets.

When Mr. Diesel barreled Mr. Johnson through a wall in “Fast Five,” released in 2011, it took about eight seconds before Mr. Johnson pushes Mr. Diesel through a different wall.”

Not surprised. What a bunch of bitches 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, number305 said:

If you actually watch the rocks movie's, he gets beaten up all the time. In several of his movies he is the butt of the jokes. This article seems like garbage to me. Timed to get clicks with the release of the new ff movie. 

Found The Rock’s alt. 

3 hours ago, number305 said:

If you actually watch the rocks movie's, he gets beaten up all the time. In several of his movies he is the butt of the jokes. This article seems like garbage to me. Timed to get clicks with the release of the new ff movie. 

Well it doesn’t say that Rock refuses to get his ass kicked in movies. It says he makes sure that he gets to deliver as good a beating as he takes. He’s a pro wrestler, he obviously understands the value of the good guy getting beat up. 

Also none of that is surprising nor does it indicate any “bitch” level on any of their parts. It’s building and protecting their brand. 

I get that they're trying to protect their brands or whatever, but the best action heroes are not the ones that never lose a fight. Die Hard and Indiana Jones both really beat up their heroes, and the movies are so much better for it. I guess it's hard to look at the Rock and think "underdog," but Statham could easily play that role if he wanted to.

I sort of assumed this was always the case with lead action stars. I'm sure Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jean Claude Van Damme had similar clauses. It's all about protecting their image and career, especially in the eyes of younger moviegoers that want to see them be essentially invincible.

8 hours ago, number305 said:

Uh, thanks? 

I guess that makes you a trashy tabloid alt for posting false click bait articles. 

Lol at thinking this is false. I bet all of his recent roles hold up to this, even jumanji. 

17 hours ago, Reputator said:

I sort of assumed this was always the case with lead action stars. I'm sure Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jean Claude Van Damme had similar clauses. It's all about protecting their image and career, especially in the eyes of younger moviegoers that want to see them be essentially invincible.

Arnold's best movies he gets his ass whipped. Shit, he's running from a fight he knows he's going to lose for the entire runtime of Terminator 2.

3 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Arnold's best movies he gets his ass whipped. Shit, he's running from a fight he knows he's going to lose for the entire runtime of Terminator 2.

That doesn’t mean he didn’t have certain clauses about it though. The Rock gets his ass kicked in a lot of his movies too. Just depends on the role and character he’s playing and if it makes sense. 

16 hours ago, Anathema- said:

13 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Also Predator when he gets beaten within an inch of his life.

Yeah but show me the movie where Arnold gets his ass beat by a non-cyborg, non-alien opponent. I can't think of one.

23 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah but show me the movie where Arnold gets his ass beat by a non-cyborg, non-alien opponent. I can't think of one.

Depending on your definition of an ass beating, Kindergarten Cop 100% qualifies; not to mention his own wife in True Lies. 

Michael b Jordan best roles:

- killed in fruitvale station

- loses in creed

- gets ass beat and hospitalized in creed 2

- dies as villain in Black Panther

these action stars have fragile egos. It’s OK. They can keep making their movies and maybe I’ll enjoy a couple of them. But we need to agree that they are insecure. 

10 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Depending on your definition of an ass beating, Kindergarten Cop 100% qualifies; not to mention his own wife in True Lies. 

My definition does not include those as ass beatings at all 😂

9 hours ago, johnny said:

Michael b Jordan best roles:

- killed in fruitvale station

- loses in creed

- gets ass beat and hospitalized in creed 2

- dies as villain in Black Panther

these action stars have fragile egos. It’s OK. They can keep making their movies and maybe I’ll enjoy a couple of them. But we need to agree that they are insecure. 

You make that point like his got the extensive list of credits. That’s basically all of his major roles(minus F4). So saying that his best ones are when he gets beat up...there’s nothing to compare it too. 

Are some insecure? Of course. All of them? Absolutely not. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

My definition does not include those as ass beatings at all 😂

You make that point like his got the extensive list of credits. That’s basically all of his major roles(minus F4). So saying that his best ones are when he gets beat up...there’s nothing to compare it too. 

Are some insecure? Of course. All of them? Absolutely not. 

Micheal B. Jordan is also not an "action star". He's an actor that does action movies, but he's in a different lane than any of the guys we're talking about here. Could he BECOME an action star? Sure.  Wesley Snipes started his career as a mostly dramatic actor too before focusing on action movies. MBJ ain't there yet.

Action stars have a whole different set of considerations when it comes to their roles and image. Is some of that driven by insecurity? Absolutely.  But then anyone on Hollywood will tell you that 90% of ALL actors are insecure. I'd probably expand that to say that 90% of all the people working in Hollywood regardless of their vocation are insecure. It's that type of industry.  But nothing revealed in this overly simplistic article is revelatory or "bad" when you know a little bit about how the business works.  These guys are basically industries themselves and they are going to protect their brands the best way they can.

I don't remember Kindergarten Cop ( which was a comedy and was kind of a send up of Arnold to a degree) but the thing in True Lies was not an ass kicking in the sense that we're talking about here. That was also done for comedic effect.

I literally chose Michael B. Jordan because he’s NOT an action star and his biggest roles he gets beat up. Lmao I included Fruitvale Station in the post come on. Action stars are soft which you guys don’t even seem to disagree with lmao 

13 minutes ago, johnny said:

I literally chose Michael B. Jordan because he’s NOT an action star and his biggest roles he gets beat up. Lmao I included Fruitvale Station in the post come on. Action stars are soft. 

Then I'm sure I missed your point... why bring up a non action star in a topic about action stars? You could have just as easily substituted Dame Judi Dench and it would have been just as irrelevant.  Action Movie Stars have different considerations than other actors. They just do. Doesn't make them soft. It makes them businessmen.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Then I'm sure I missed your point... why bring up a non action star in a topic about action stars? You could have just as easily substituted Dame Judi Dench and it would have been just as irrelevant.  Action Movie Stars have different considerations than other actors. They just do. Doesn't make them soft. It makes them businessmen.

sure most people in Hollywood are insecure. Most people in the world are insecure. Action stars are some of the most insecure in Hollywood. Other actors (like MBJ) do roles where they get beat up and lose and they’re fine with it. But these “action stars” can’t take more than they give because of their brand lmfao. It is what it is. They’re still soft. 

24 minutes ago, johnny said:

I literally chose Michael B. Jordan because he’s NOT an action star and his biggest roles he gets beat up. Lmao I included Fruitvale Station in the post come on. Action stars are soft which you guys don’t even seem to disagree with lmao 

So your point is that Michael B Jordon is a tougher actor/human being because He doesn’t have verbiage in his contracts(that we know of) determining the amount of punishment he can take/give out? Despite the fact that he’s a dramatic actor and therefore doesn’t make his money on the image of his on screen “toughness” And you’re comparing him to action stars who have such verbiage and they’re “soft” because of it? Even though their entire livelihood is built off their believability of their on screen toughness. Then lumped all

action stars together in this regard, even though man of the biggest action stars, including one of the ones in the article, get their ass kicked plenty of times in their movies. 

Or something like that?

Action stars=soft/insecure

Dramatic stars=bad to the ass/very secure

• Haha 1