Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My receiver is old and doesn't have HDMI, but I'm not really inclined to drop the money on replacing it because I can't set up surround in the apartment I'm in. I'm looking at Monoprice and they have some open box deals on HDMI switches with 5x inputs but looking at the pages for them I'm not really clear on how to choose which one to get...? 

 

https://www.monoprice.com/category/adapters,-switches,-&-splitters/audio-video-distribution/audio-video-switches?&menuDisStr=audio video switches&sort=sellingPrice asc&TotalProducts=48

 

I pass back an optical connection from my TV to my receiver so I don't NEED that, but not knowing what else I'm looking at here the ones that say you can force a stereo out might be good since for example Netflix on the PS4 doesn't seem to let you select stereo/surround and sometimes it seems like it's picking surround, based on hard to hear dialog. Unless I'm misunderstanding what that stereo/surround toggle on the switch would be doing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This might not be very helpful, but there are some really good sound bars on the market these days. Any of these are simple to set up in an apartment and they'll provide you with better audio than you'd ever get out of a toslink.

 

I am so close to getting a sound bar for my place, but I also really like my 7.1 setup. However, that's also a lot of cables to run all over the place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For soundbars, I couldn't more highly recommend Nakamichi. 

 

https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/

 

They have quite a few different sets, some that are more accommodating to apartments, but if you want to go all out, they have that too. I just got their 2019 Shockwafe Pro 7.2.4 system that comes with:

• 45" soundbar with two center speakers, two front left speakers, two front right speakers, a surround left speaker, and a surround right speaker

• Two rear channel satellites each with a mid-range driver and tweeter (can be set up as Atmos ceiling reflection speakers)

• TWO 8" downward firing subs cabinets.

 

They have one model higher that's 9.2.4 and comes with an extra pair of satellite speakers and makes the subs 10". 

 

Let me tell you--the 7.2.4 system is no joke. Our single family home shakes. So much so that I have to rethink some of our decorations and wall shelves to better reduce vibration. 

 

My biggest concerns with the wireless system were connection delay, sound cutting out, and a soundbar system being able to reproduce the soundscape of a larger system...

 

I can confirm that none of my concerns came to fruition. Sound is instant, perfectly synced, stays connected, and the sound produced is nothing less than theatrical. 

 

I went back and forth for some time debating which soundbar to get, or if I should even get one... I can safely say I made the right call. 

 

 

As far as switchers go, they have some good ones on Amazon. I have the Smartoo 23031, which is a 3-port switcher. I've had zero issues with mine. They have a 5-port version, too. What's nice is that it comes with auto-switch functionality, so it automatically recognizes which input is on, so you don't have to manually change inputs every time. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Emblazon You're not helping me not spend money on a new receiver/speaker setup. I have a brand new 7.1 receiver and a bunch of THX speakers...but I really don't want to run cables all over the place. So much so that I've been contemplating running them all through the basement.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

@Emblazon You're not helping me not spend money on a new receiver/speaker setup. I have a brand new 7.1 receiver and a bunch of THX speakers...but I really don't want to run cables all over the place. So much so that I've been contemplating running them all through the basement.

I've got a Pioneer VSX-1131 receiver and 5.0 Sony speaker set (never got the sub) I have to sell now. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Emblazon said:

For soundbars, I couldn't more highly recommend Nakamichi. 

 

https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/

 

I'm not looking to drop big bucks period right now. :lol:

 

5 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Let me tell you--the 7.2.4 system is no joke. Our single family home shakes. So much so that I have to rethink some of our decorations and wall shelves to better reduce vibration. 

 

This is why I can't set up surround, I have the other speakers for 5.1 and I'm willing to run the wires, but I've already gotten noise complaints just from having 2.1 set up, so I suspect my neighbors would actually lynch me if I put in full surround.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Emblazon looking up the switch you recommended it looks like this one is comparable? It's just hard to keep track of all the various potential compatibility pitfalls here, for $15 I guess it's not a huge deal but I'd like to at least try to buy something future-proof.

 

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30956

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Emblazon said:

I've got a Pioneer VSX-1131 receiver and 5.0 Sony speaker set (never got the sub) I have to sell now. :lol:

 

And if you keep messing with my head, I'll have a Pioneer VSX-933 that I'll need to sell with an Onkyo SKS-HT933THX7.1. I only just now noticed that they were both models 933. That Nakamichi set is cheaper than both of these combined, but I already own this speaker and amp set. I even have a spool of 100' of in-wall speaker wire sitting here laughing at my face.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

 

And if you keep messing with my head, I'll have a Pioneer VSX-933 that I'll need to sell with an Onkyo SKS-HT933THX7.1. I only just now noticed that they were both models 933. That Nakamichi set is cheaper than both of these combined, but I already own this speaker and amp set. I even have a spool of 100' of in-wall speaker wire sitting here laughing at my face.

What sealed the deal for me was I purposefully bought my receiver for future Atmos compatibility, and then found out that Atmos only applied to a 5 channel set up. I could do 5.1.2, but if I wanted more surround channels, it would remove the Atmos functionality, so I'd only have 7.2.  

 

That seriously pissed me off when I read that. 

 

Sucks for all of us, too, as the Nakamichi system I own was $800 on Prime Day... like 4 days after I purchased the system at full price. But it's absolutely worth full price, so I don't feel too bad about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jason said:

@Emblazon looking up the switch you recommended it looks like this one is comparable? It's just hard to keep track of all the various potential compatibility pitfalls here, for $15 I guess it's not a huge deal but I'd like to at least try to buy something future-proof.

 

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30956

 

Anyone?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jason said:

 

Anyone?

Sorry, just looked. That one's an open box... I'd be skeptical of an open box switcher. Also, it says the throughput is only 10Gbps. High end HDMI cables will send 18Gbps through, so I don't know if that would cause a bottleneck or not. But if you're not doing 4K at a high bit rate, it might not matter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

Sorry, just looked. That one's an open box... I'd be skeptical of an open box switcher. Also, it says the throughput is only 10Gbps. High end HDMI cables will send 18Gbps through, so I don't know if that would cause a bottleneck or not. But if you're not doing 4K at a high bit rate, it might not matter. 

 

I figured Monoprice should be fine for open box--what would make you more concerned for an open box switcher than other open box stuff?

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jason said:

 

I figured Monoprice should be fine for open box--what would make you more concerned for an open box switcher than other open box stuff?

I might not be the best person to ask about that--even our house was new. :lol:

 

I don't do well with used items. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Emblazon said:

I might not be the best person to ask about that--even our house was new. :lol:

 

I don't do well with used items. 

 

Anyhow I still have a 1080p Panny plasma and don't anticipate replacing it anytime soon so the bandwidth issue probably isn't particular important for me, so I'm kind of leaning toward just spending the least amount of money possible for now. I read through it again and it looks like the Monoprice one may not support HDR either but again, I don't anticipate refreshing my setup super soon.

 

Also I found what I assume is the 5x1 version of the one you spoke about: https://www.amazon.com/SMARTOOO-Switcher-Switch-inputs-output/dp/B01MDR9Y2I/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=smartooo+23051&qid=1563891522&s=gateway&sr=8-1

 

But on the 23031 it talks about not being compatible with sound bars or "HT" (presumably home theater, i.e. receivers). And, just,

 

image.png

 

why the fuck is HDMI so confusing now?

 

image.png

 

How the fuck could it not be compatible with soundbars? Is it not passing the full signal on???

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jason You have no idea. Getting the proper signal and quality feed is such a giant headache with 4K. 

 

And since I'm running a soundbar, I can confirm that the switcher I have does in fact work with the soundbar. Lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...