The Orville - Season 3 begins airing

From IGN article

according to a source, "MacFarlane’s current workload and the length of time it takes to finish work on the show’s numerous special effects sequences would have meant that Season 3 would not have been ready for a midseason debut."

Seth MacFarlane's statement:

“The Orville’ has been a labor of love for me, and there are two companies which have supported that vision in a big way: 20th Century Fox Television, where I’ve had a deal since the start of my career, and Fox Broadcasting Company, now Fox Entertainment, which has been my broadcast home for over 20 years,” MacFarlane said in a statement. “My friends at the network understood what I was trying to do with this series, and they’ve done a spectacular job of marketing, launching and programming it for these past two seasons. But as the show has evolved and become more ambitious production-wise, I determined that I would not be able to deliver episodes until 2020, which would be challenging for the network. So we began to discuss how best to support the third season in a way that worked for the show. It’s exactly this kind of willingness to accommodate a show’s creative needs that’s made me want to stick around for so long. I am hugely indebted to Charlie Collier and Fox Entertainment for their generosity and look forward to developing future projects there. And to my new friends at Hulu, I look forward to our new partnership exploring the galaxy together.”

• 11 months later...
6 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Any new information about season 3?

With his other committments and move to Hulu I believe Seth was already saying s3 probably wouldn't debut in 2020. And that was before the virus.

I am just hoping all this shuffling and delay doesn't make them to decide to pull the plug altogether.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GeneticBlueprint changed the title to The Orville - Season 3 begins airing
On 6/14/2022 at 11:19 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

I only caught the first episode, but I have to say, it feels off tone from the previous seasons with not enough humor. I'll watch the rest to see if it finds its stride. 

I’m really enjoying the season so far. It feels like it was never gone. 

I haven’t peered into the thread about it, but have you given Strange New Worlds a try? It’s the closest new Trek has been to feeling like older (90s) Trek. It’s got the fun of TNG’s episodic adventures, with character stories that carry through from episode to episode, like DS9. So, kind of like Voyager, but good. 

5 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’m really enjoying the season so far. It feels like it was never gone. 

I haven’t peered into the thread about it, but have you given Strange New Worlds a try? It’s the closest new Trek has been to feeling like older (90s) Trek. It’s got the fun of TNG’s episodic adventures, with character stories that carry through from episode to episode, like DS9. So, kind of like Voyager, but good. 

I have been watching it and so far so good! 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I only watched the first episode, but it felt.... long. Really long. A lot of it just felt off. 

This is just my opinion but every episode has felt really long. But in a good way. The third episode seemed especially long, but it was such a good story that I kind of didn't want it to end.

• True 1

3 hours ago, brucoe said:

This is just my opinion but every episode has felt really long. But in a good way. The third episode seemed especially long, but it was such a good story that I kind of didn't want it to end.

I thought the first felt long in a bad way. Looking forward to seeing more though, I loved s2

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I thought the first felt long in a bad way. Looking forward to seeing more though, I loved s2

It was probably all the time wasted by the writers pretending a character was dead and gone. Unless it is their actual exit from a franchise it just feels like they’re drawing out the inevitable. It might have felt better if they kept it to a tight 40-ish minutes, like a standard hour long network show. But I think the first episode, maybe even all of these episodes has been at a 60 minute run time. 

14 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It was probably all the time wasted by the writers pretending a character was dead and gone. Unless it is their actual exit from a franchise it just feels like they’re drawing out the inevitable. It might have felt better if they kept it to a tight 40-ish minutes, like a standard hour long network show. But I think the first episode, maybe even all of these episodes has been at a 60 minute run time. 

Yeah, it was closer to 70.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh. My. God. 

Why is this show so fucking good? This latest episode "Midnight Blue" might be the best episode of the entire series. Fantastic acting, drama, social commentary, politicing, and emotional payoff. And still maintaining a tasteful amount of humor where appropriate. How they balance it all given the gravity of the metaphor going on here is a feat.

And a Dolly Parton cameo was not on my bingo card either but it was wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...
the-orville-poster-1016111.jpg?width=120
COMICBOOK.COM

The Orville: New Horizons is now streaming on Disney+ but the series is missing an episode. Disney [...]

At least the missing episode is also the latest, meaning new viewers can watch The Orville without worrying about it for a while. MacFarlane has said that new viewers checking out The Orville on Disney+ could decide whether or not the series returns for a fourth season.