Star Trek: Picard - update: renewed for second season

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

So what do we think the odds of Rios being a hologram too are? I could definitely see him being part of an experimental Starfleet ship that had an entirely or almost entirely hologram crew and something went sideways after which he somehow was able to leave Starfleet with his fellow holograms, or maybe they snuck out somehow. We will have to see if he ever gets off the ship. 

And then gets metal stuck in him? A hologram prone to penetration? Needs work. 

Excited to see what is going on with Seven.

And I think someone mentioned the interesting thing about last week was that it was the first one that really felt like a standalone episode. This week should be the same, it's the first one that feels a little whimsical, and it's a Frakes episode. All the ingredients to be a fun one.

Between Picard entering his search terms and the picture of Locutus, was anything said other than Picard saying "Hugh"? The sound cut out while I was watching (the cut was recorded too) a bit before the opening so I don't know if the computer said anything but it looked like Picard said "Hugh" when Hugh's picture was shown. As long as it's fine on Crave I can rewatch that part later, but if the only thing said was "Hugh" I could probably skip doing that.

The answer to my question is all he said was "Hugh".

I don't remember him saying anything else in that scene.

The Picard/Borg stuff was the best part of the series so far, really makes me wish we got more than half an episode with Picard on the cube.

Thank god the awful romance plot is over now, hopefully they are done with the creepy twincest too.

5 hours ago, elbobo said:

Thank god the awful romance plot is over now, hopefully they are done with the creepy twincest too.

They’ll be boning on the pursuit ship the entire time. Throughout the chase just cutting to the two of them in different positions, each one having a go at demanding “faster” as the bridge complies.  

On 3/5/2020 at 4:46 AM, Chairslinger said:

Happy Riker Day, everyone :sun:

I love the little details that show the writers are TNG fans. They picked the perfect name for Troi and Will's daughter.

So sad about the son.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

I could have done without gratuitously killing Hugh. 

Another reason this episode was so sad!

4 hours ago, elbobo said:

outside of Hugh dying it seemed like not much happened in this episode and yet I think it was my favorite of the series so far.

It seems like they must be continuing the main plot arc into the next season, unless they're planning on rushing the conclusion (only three episodes left this season). 

17 hours ago, elbobo said:

Synths go from the innocent peace loving children of Data that literally defend themselves with pretty flowers to galaxy destroying genocidal maniacs in a day, da fuck

I really feel the show is being ***ked over by it's episode length and that they feel the need to give a hook for next week's episode. -.-

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

I really feel the show is being ***ked over by it's episode length and that they feel the need to give a hook for next week's episode. -.-

Yeah, I think it should have been more like 13 episodes, and it seems like until the last couple of episodes that they were still holding to a traditional ~45 minute episode length. Even 10 episodes with taking better advantage of not being constricted by a network time slot would have helped a lot.

19 hours ago, elbobo said:

Synths go from the innocent peace loving children of Data that literally defend themselves with pretty flowers to galaxy destroying genocidal maniacs in a day, da fuck

I understand that perception because of how it was when they first walked into town, but I don't think that is really accurate.

First off, Soong and his kin have always been portrayed as half mad, isolationist scientists who don't trust anyone with their creations because society doesn't trust them.

Maddox and Soong were both well aware of the ban by this point, as well as the betrayal on the Ibn Majid. I think it would be more fair to say that Soong's children were surprised and fascinated with Picard's party, but wouldn't be surprising if Soong taught his children not to trust the Federation. 

Also, we didn't really get to hear the reaction of anyone but Soong and tan Soji(who very likely is suffering from some kind of influence from the vision as everyone else who has experienced it). Soong certainly seemed worried Picard was getting through to them.

That all said, I am wondering if there is even more to the story. I am wondering if Soong is Lore. I have been rolling the idea around in my head as to how that could be, and I haven't come up with a scenario that fits perfectly, but here goes. Maddow was close to Data, so he may have known where Data put the pieces of Lore after his disassembly(Descent pt. 2).

In the companion novel to Picard The Last Best Hope Maddow is portrayed as distraught when he meets Agnus almost immediately after being drafted by Geordi to create the synth workforce for the shipyards on Mars. Maddow considered these things "toys", and a deadend for his real work to make a Soong-like android. Agnus is the one that gave him the idea for the nueronic cloning. Bruce was portrayed for the rest of the novel as not really getting to work on Soong-likes because he was too busy with the worker synthes. So the attack happens, the ban happens, and Bruce goes into hiding(just as Soong did to make his androids). I am wondering if this was Maddow's first oppurtunity to use Lore's nuerons for cloning. Perhaps he was worried that only "evil" clones could come from Lore, but the ban made him desperate. We still haven't gotten a difinitive answer on where the nueron for all these kids came from, have we? 

Anyway, Maddow goes to use Lore's nueron, but finds it will only works if he reactivates him. Lore comes back, and realizes the phaser shot Data hit him with is "fatal". His hardware is so damaged he will eventually shut down. At some point maybe Bruce and Soong's real son did meet up to work on an android, and in a twist instead of a human's conciousness being transferred into an android, Lore transfers his conciousness into Soong. And Lore has been trying to build a replacement body ever since.

What makes me more and more suspicious is that upon a closer look, Spinner really seems to be playing Soong with some of Lore's characteristics. If you go back and watch in this context, Soong seems to be aiming barely veiled contempt at Picard. He shows disgust at his own body when they first meet(if he had grown old and soft) he does the same of Picard when he is rebutinh Picard's plea to be peaceful.

At first I was struck by the similarities to this storyline and Spinner's portral of an ancestor in Enterprise, but I also notices that Spinner played Soong in Enterprise and Soong in TNG with more warmth and caring than we see in Picard. Maybe it is just down to subtle acting choices, but I don't trust this Soong. 

On a sidenote, may be obvious to say it, but it sure looks like Picard is going to get body swapped. There has long been speculation that Picard's Irumadic syndrome was caused by his assimilation or other things that happened to him. And that carried over into Picard with speculation that Borg or synth tech might be used to cure him. A case boosted by the episode a couple weeks ago where we got confirmation from Troi and Riker's son that there are diseases that could be cure with synth tech.

I don't think I have seen many theories over the years that have speculated Picard would get a full body swap(even though we know it is possible from Data's mothèr.)

I feel this is a nice twists. It bring's us full circle in a way from the first great episode of TNG(The Measure of a Man) where Picard fights for the rights of artificial lifeforms to Picard becoming one himself. I think this would work on a couple different levels. For one, in the story, it is a unique way to force the Federation to confront it's prejudice against synthes. The great Captain Jean-Luc Picard is a synth. What do they do? Execute him to enforcw the ban?

Also, I think it challenges fans on an emotional level, because I think the first reaction to such a twist by some fans would be discomfort at the idea the Picard, our Picard, the one who we're going to spend at least one more full season with, isn't the "real" Picard. But, of course, everything we have been taught from the relationship between Picard and Data is that kind of thinking is exactly wrong.

Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts. Sorry for any typos, I typed it on my phone and I try not to do that with really long posts nowadays cause it's a pain in the ass.

22 minutes ago, elbobo said:

I could have sworn there were a couple 50+ minute episodes this season

I think 6, 7, and 8 all were. And they benefitted from that extra time. I suspect the first 3 were on the shorter side because they were basically one feature length production that got cut into thirds.