Top Gun: Maverick | 96% Rotten Tomatoes

Looks a lot better than I thought it would. And you want to know the most bat-shit insane thing about this movie? Tom Cruise is actually piloting those planes, it's not CGI. Legally he can't fly in-service F-18s, so it sounds like they used civilian planes and mocked them up to appear like F-18s for the cockpit shots.

https://ew.com/movies/2018/11/09/tom-cruise-top-gun-maverick-fly-jet/

He can fly the shit out of anything it seems. Watching the trailer you could tell he was flying something for realzies. Also add me to the list of someone who needs to see the first movie still. Guess my next uk import will also include a cheap copy of the 3D Blu-Ray they released

51 minutes ago, silentbob said:

He can fly the shit out of anything it seems. Watching the trailer you could tell he was flying something for realzies. Also add me to the list of someone who needs to see the first movie still. Guess my next uk import will also include a cheap copy of the 3D Blu-Ray they released

If the shots aren't CG or whatever, I think it's more likely that he was a passenger riding in the navigator seat of an F/A-18E/F.

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

30 years to go from O-3 to O-6 :rofl:

I don't get what this is referring to. 

I really have no affinity to the first movie. Guess I saw it too late to appreciate it. Maybe I'll give it another go at some point. 

8 minutes ago, Brick said:

I don't get what this is referring to. 

US military ranking system.

O-3 = Navy Lieutenant (Maverick's rank in the 1986 movie)

O-6 = Navy Captain (Maverick's rank in this movie)

There is absolutely no way in hell it takes 30+ years to go from O-3 to O-6 because someone that incompetent would've been drummed out of the military years ago.

8 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

There is absolutely no way in hell it takes 30+ years to go from O-3 to O-6 because someone that incompetent would've been drummed out of the military years ago.

At least the movie sets this up as a plot point.

13 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Which they didn't need to do honestly, make him a one or 2 star as a Carrier Strike Group commander, that's somewhat plausible. The current Reagan Strike Group commander was commissioned in 1986. 

40 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Isn't that kind of the point the trailer seems to be making though? He doesn't want to get promoted any further because that would take him out of the field... er air, and he loves flying too much? 

46 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Which they didn't need to do honestly, make him a one or 2 star as a Carrier Strike Group commander, that's somewhat plausible. The current Reagan Strike Group commander was commissioned in 1986. 

Or just don’t make another movie that primarily exists to enable Tom Cruise’s hobbies. :p

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

probably kept getting busted down in rank for continually buzzing the tower 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Brick said:

Isn't that kind of the point the trailer seems to be making though? He doesn't want to get promoted any further because that would take him out of the field... er air, and he loves flying too much? 

Sure, but that's why I'm pointing out what a ludicrously funny scenario it is!

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

And with the demise of "don't ask, don't tell", the guys can openly express their homoerotic feelings for each other both on the sand volleyball court and the locker room!

Yeah, seriously, they should just be honest about it in this day and age. That film has more coded homoerotic feelings than most films short of Brokeback Mountain. It's 2019. We can do better.

And for the record, the first movie isn't very good. I expect this to be much better. 

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Oh yeah?

Yes. It's not a great movie. Nostalgia's a hell of a drug. Even if it once was, it certainly hasn't aged well in terms of characters, story, or plot. It certainly has moments and quotable lines, and if you click into how ridiculous it is it can be fun, but it's not a good movie.

25 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yes. It's not a great movie. Nostalgia's a hell of a drug. Even if it once was, it certainly hasn't aged well in terms of characters, story, or plot. It certainly has moments and quotable lines, and if you click into how ridiculous it is it can be fun, but it's not a good movie.

K, but my response wasn't asking for a serious reply, merely a vessel to post that Tim and Eric clip.

• Haha 1