Top Gun: Maverick | 96% Rotten Tomatoes

On 5/26/2022 at 5:04 PM, TheLeon said:

Believe the hype. This movie fucking rules. 

I concur. It's better than the original in every conceivable way. I need to see it as many times as possible this weekend. 

Did Dolby Cinema today, IMAX tomorrow. Would kill to see it in DBox. 

Just came back, managed not to get a speeding ticket despite the urge to fly down the road…

It is definitely a very enjoyable movie… it elevates the original in every way. It does the nostalgia nods the right way.. The little bits of Star Wars-like moments/scenarios were enjoyable… There was a moment that felt “cringy” but it led to an enjoyable extension of the climax….

Here yet again the Army, and Marine Corps guys leave the theater jealous of the flyboys

Also.. Jennifer Connelly

Spoiler

Rooster looking like Goose was “nice” at first…. but as the movie went on the crossover between father and son became very much more pronounced and enjoyable…. its a cool payoff that Maverick and Goose finally went on a mission and won the day.

Not wholly convinced on there being a chasm of quality between this and its predecessor, or that it would lean in the direction of Maverick, and this is coming from someone who only just saw the original a couple days ago (an embarrassing, long-overdue blindspot in my Tony Scott fandom.) Top Gun isn't some Holy Grail of perfection, but making a modern legacy-quel or whatever we’re calling these things these days in a more restrained style is such a strange choice, especially when it has so many references to the original, most of which I found distracting and took me out of the movie. Way too much of a Mission Impossible feel to everything (McQuarrie is a producer, and I want to say he was originally slated to direct?), and when the original is as visually and tonally distinctive as it is, it makes you wonder what the point is. I also found the climax to be straining credulity in how it goes out of its way to fit in call-backs and certain narrative beats so things work out just so.

BUT ANYWAY, this is a lot of fun. Everything aerial is exhilarating, it tells a pretty cohesive story, and Cruise puts out a performance that I’d slot alongside his very best, which surprised me because I felt he’d foregone pushing himself in that way a long time ago.

1 hour ago, Zeluge said:

Not wholly convinced on there being a chasm of quality between this and its predecessor, or that it would lean in the direction of Maverick, and this is coming from someone who only just saw the original a couple days ago (an embarrassing, long-overdue blindspot in my Tony Scott fandom.) 

I think what allowed me to enjoy Maverick more is that its not as frustrating as the original… We are told he’s the best pilot but when he goes to Top Gun the scenes of competition we get are all Maverick and Goose failing (below hard deck, leaving wingman, Goose death)… he’s the best but all we see is failure (yeah character growth yada yada)…. the only time Maverick shines in the original is in the beginning and in the final confrontation…

The new movie doesnt do that and it aided in my enjoyment of the film while still presenting Maverick with conflict.. the humor was very well done too

This film in DBox is nothing short of spectacular. First movie I've seen twice in the same day (three times total) in well over a decade. 

One nice little nod that I didn't notice until my third viewing--when they introduce Jennifer Connelly's character? Bowie is playing on the jukebox. 

• Like 1

When you all saw the movie, did your theater show a trailer for a movie called "Smile"? It was pretty quick and short but also creepy. I've been searching for a while now but I can find the trailer anywhere online. 

Paramount.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Paramount Dates 'Smile' For Fall

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/smile-69989

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

When you all saw the movie, did your theater show a trailer for a movie called "Smile"? It was pretty quick and short but also creepy. I've been searching for a while now but I can find the trailer anywhere online. 

Paramount.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Paramount Dates 'Smile' For Fall

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/smile-69989

I did, and I need to see more. 

Also, Terrifier 2 is coming Halloween season. Can't wait!

My wife and I both really enjoyed Maverick. It's very aware of why the audience is seeing this movie and therefore setting aside any problems that might get in the way of those reasons. They fairly quickly breeze through why Maverick is still flying, why they need to fly F-18s, why they might be fighting against 5th gen fighters, why you're bringing the "best of the best" back for more training, and why they'd need to fly in a completely bonkers way. It's sufficiently believable, but they don't linger on any of it much, because that would just get in the way of macho fighter jocks getting in pissing contests and freaking awesome sequences in fighter planes.

I've recently watched a bunch of Marvel stuff before going to see Multiverse of Madness, and even though I really enjoy those films and shows, man was this a breath of fresh air. No nano-suit helmets appearing and disappearing, no CG monsters or unnatural pacing in fight sequences. Nearly everything about the flight sequences felt genuine and breathtaking. I'm sure there were plenty of effects still used, and I have no clue how fast they were actually flying, but the end result is spectacular. Even the human element is well handled throughout, which honestly felt like a bonus more than anything.

It's also a legasequel that really knows how to handle the nostalgia element, even when it pushes it to the limit.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I love that “they have fifth gen fighters”, a thing we have no real frame of reference for, is literally the only thing we know about the enemy. It doesn’t matter. 

enemy has 5th gen fighter, must use f-18s (aren't our most advanced jets the f-35?) and no indication of who the actual enemy is....and yet none of that mattered as it was still great

On 5/31/2022 at 11:05 PM, EternallDarkness said:

enemy has 5th gen fighter, must use f-18s (aren't our most advanced jets the f-35?) and no indication of who the actual enemy is....and yet none of that mattered as it was still great

Yes, the F-35 is our "pure" 5th generation fighter though both the F-22 Raptor and F/A-18E/F Super Hornet have 5th generation "elements".

29 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The people love the Top Gun:

We were UP Friday and Saturday, though Sunday will be substantially lower with no Monday holiday. Wild to see!

6 hours ago, Derek said:

I haven't seen the movie, but there's an 'investigative' article thay claims the enemy was Iran. 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

The movie calls it a rogue state if I recall, it's basically an unnamed enemy.

Because the "unnamed enemy" flies F-14s, then that narrows down the "real world" country to exactly one: Iran.

Iran was the only nation to operate F-14s other than the United States.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Because the "unnamed enemy" flies F-14s, then that narrows down the "real world" country to exactly one: Iran.

Ah okay I had no idea about that. There were insignias on the enemy planes, not sure if that helps identify as well.

12 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

They also said something about it being a 'startup nuclear program' and all of our other 'enemies' already have nuclear weapons. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:
Miles-Teller-Tom-Cruise.jpg?w=780
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

Miles Teller revealed that he had "hives" after jet fuel was found in his bloodstream following production on "Top Gun: Maverick."

That seems bad?

Jet fuel is something the body needs anyway. @Link200

• 2 weeks later...