Ion Fury - Build Engine retro FPS, update - reviews posted

38 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

I’m a big Iron Maiden fan, but that was dickish.

In the world of law you pretty much have to protect  your copy write from infringement.  If you don't then the next case that pops up can point to it as an example of it being okay.

22 minutes ago, number305 said:

In the world of law you pretty much have to protect  your copy write from infringement.  If you don't then the next case that pops up can point to it as an example of it being okay.

...aaaaaannndddd Bruce Dickinson is also a quite documented, well, dick. And I say that as a fan of the band. I'm sure however that their team of lawyers are even bigger dicks so who knows if this ever even reached the band. 

• 1 month later...

Game Information

Game Title: Ion Fury

Platforms:

• PC (Aug 14, 2019)

Trailer:

Publisher: 3D Realms

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 81 average - 69% recommended

Critic Reviews

Gaming Nexus - 9.5 / 10

Ion Fury made me feel like a kid again and it's not just nostalgia that makes the game great. The is classic run and gun FPS action at it's purest and despite running on 20 year old tech, it's still a hell of a lot of fun and is one of my favorite games of 2019 so far.

TechRaptor - 9 / 10

Ion Fury is a high-energy, action-packed retro ride with great gameplay, level design, visuals and audio. It's a reminder that great old-school design is forever.

Game Informer - 9 / 10

More than just a throwback to frenzied '90s shooters, Ion Fury is a fantastic game filled with creative weaponry, oodles of humor, and memorable levels.

PCGamesN - 9 / 10

A nostalgic '90s throwback that's challenging, funny, cleverly designed, and shockingly attractive both despite and because of its ancient engine, which enables gigantic levels packed with detail. Chris J Capel

Game Revolution - 4.5 / 5 stars

If you're a fan of any breed of first-person shooters, Ion Fury should be on your playlist. Even among its retro FPS peers, 3D Realms has put out a best-in-class experience that rivals anything released this year.

GameSkinny - 9 / 10 stars

Ion Fury mixes old and new in a throwback FPS that deftly builds its own enduring identity.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Ion Fury is a love letter to 90s shooters, especially addressed to Duke Nukem 3D. A well written love letter, although it could have been more varied in some parts.

Handsome Phantom - 8.5 / 10

Ion Fury is remarkably smooth, much like you would expect from a traditional Build game, or nearly any first-person shooter from the mid-90s.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

Ion Fury not only recaptures what made retro shooters so memorable, but it improves on them in a number of ways. While not as excellent as some other recent entries in the same genre, this is a game that fans of the past should not miss. It's brutal, lightning-fast, and always putting fun before anything else.

PC Gamer - 77 / 100

A retro FPS built with love by true enthusiasts of the genre.

Critical Hit - 7.5 / 10

Ion Fury knows what it wants to be: A satisfying romp through the past, emboldened by the future and metal to the max.

IGN - 7.5 / 10

Ion Fury is an authentic throwback to Duke Nukem 3D that certainly hails to the king but can't quite dethrone him.

Metro GameCentral - 7 / 10

For better and worse, a near perfect replication of mid-90s first person shooters, that makes you wistful for the old days… and secretly glad things have moved on in the meantime.

Cultured Vultures - 6 / 10

Ion Fury can be a fun time, but you will start to feel the age of the game design before long. Only for real nostalgia junkies.

GameSpew - 6 / 10

Ion Fury is flawed, but there’s plenty of gruesome fun to be had here, more so if you’ve got fond memories of 90s shooters. If Voidpoint/3D Realms can tighten up the game for an expansion pack or a sequel, I’d definitely be up for more Bombshell. Just don’t expect this outing to blow you away all the time.

Eurogamer - Recommended

A thrillingly authentic take on the first-person shooter's 90s heyday, delivered with nerdish enthusiasm.

22 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The RPS review is bad.

The first paragraph gives away why though. The reviewer fundamentally doesn't enjoy nor appreciate this type of FPS design. He considers missing a vent in a room a giant arrow pointed him to and therefore not being able to proceed a waste of time, I'd consider that exploration.

Thankfully one of this game's big focuses seems to be to actually go with that type of sprawling Duke 3D level design. I have yet to play it so I don't know if they actually nailed that but the RPS reviewer just seems to fundamentally dislike that type of game rather than Ion Fury itself. His review actually kind of sold me on it even more.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But rather focusing on things he doesn’t understand it would be nice to get some details from a guy who does.

I think I kind of misunderstood your post. Thought you meant it like the review is bad as in makes the game look bad. My answer pretty much was getting at what you're saying here actually.