Paul Ryan is a profile in courage, a congressman who transcended what it means to be a public servant

God bless you, sir.

Perhaps no one has had a more tortured relationship with the president than former House speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) — who went from wanting to abandon Trump after the release of the “Access Hollywood” tape to working to enact his agenda after the election all while doing his best to avoid commenting on his tweets and controversial statements.

Alberta reports that Trump berated Ryan over a 2018 spending bill because it didn’t include funding for his border wall but then said he would sign it if Ryan were to give him time to build suspense on Twitter. Ryan agreed and then publicly sang the president’s praises after the meeting. 

Ryan depicts Trump as uneducated about the government. 

“I told myself I gotta have a relationship with this guy to help him get his mind right,” Ryan recalls. “Because, I’m telling you, he didn’t know anything about government . . . I wanted to scold him all the time.” 

Ryan says he sees the presidency getting worse, with Trump determined to govern and campaign on his terms, rejecting calls from other Republicans to moderate his message in 2020. 

Those of us around him really helped to stop him from making bad decisions. All the time,” Ryan says. “We helped him make much better decisions, which were contrary to kind of what his knee-jerk reaction was. Now I think he’s making some of these knee-jerk reactions.” 

In Alberta’s telling, Trump calls Ryan a “f---ing Boy Scout.”

Thank you for saying this at a moment when it's most meaningful! Please :clap: for Paul.

Trump did unleash a tweet storm about his comments. It's pretty rare to see a Republican criticize the president. Maybe praise was the wrong word, but not too many Republicans would ever come out and say what he said. I was wrong, you got me I can admit it. 

7 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Trump did unleash a tweet storm about his comments. It's pretty rare to see a Republican criticize the president. Maybe praise was the wrong word, but not too many Republicans would ever come out and say what he said. I was wrong, you got me I can admit it. 

The sarcasm was more that he did it after he was out of office, which lacked any courage. It's common to see them stay silent while in office and then tell everyone all the really bad things -- like "Oh shit we stopped him from doing bad things all the time! -- when your political career is over.