Retired Marine and fighter pilot Amy McGrath launches bid for Kentucky Senate, hopes to unseat McConnell

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/democrat-amy-mcgrath-launches-bid-kentucky-senate-hopes/story?id=64215679

"Everything that’s wrong in Washington had to start someplace," McGrath says. "Well, it started with this man, who was elected a lifetime ago."

"The things that Kentuckians voted for Trump for are not being done," McGrath said. "He's not able to get it done because of Sen. McConnell."

McConnell’s campaign tweeted out a response to McGrath’s announcement, writing, "Welcome to the race, Amy," with a video focusing on McGrath’s more liberal policy stances on issues like immigration, health care and reproductive rights, that ends by asserting she’s "too liberal for Kentucky."

This is trending big time. Anyone have decent info on her? She lost her 2018 race against an incumbent, 51-48, so she has some experience running in a red area and doing well. McConnell's always very difficult to defeat with his massive war chest.

Kentucky Democratic Senate candidate Amy McGrath raised more than $2.5 million in the first 24 hours of her campaign against Mitch McConnell — over $1 million of it coming in just the first five and a half hours after she announced, according to her campaign.

This is the most ever raised in 24 hours in a Senate campaign. Democrats hate Mitch even more than in 08 and 14 lol.

11 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

I'm not saying I necessarily have a better strategy for a place like Kentucky, but it seems like "get a veteran" is the entire extent of Dems strategy for races like this.

Mitch McConnell's last challenge was not against a veteran. It was against a lawyer and the Kentucky Secretary of State.

11 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Kentucky Democratic Senate candidate Amy McGrath raised more than $2.5 million in the first 24 hours of her campaign against Mitch McConnell — over $1 million of it coming in just the first five and a half hours after she announced, according to her campaign.

This is the most ever raised in 24 hours in a Senate campaign. Democrats hate Mitch even more than in 08 and 14 lol.

Mitch McConnell's last challenge was not against a veteran. It was against a lawyer and the Kentucky Secretary of State.

I think he means in other races. Mark Kelly and MJ Hegan come to mind, though I dont think it's a conscious effort. 

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

I think he means in other races. Mark Kelly and MJ Hegan come to mind, though I dont think it's a conscious effort. 

Hmm, still not seeing it there, partly because you had ruby red states like Alabama where Democrats ran an attorney in Doug Jones, or in Arizona (since we mentioned Mark Kelly in 2020) where Democrats ran someone who was LGBT and a former Nader supporter, or Beto in Texas, or minority candidates who ran more left in Georgia and Florida.

In the case of Mark Kelly in Arizona, he's also a former astronaut like former Senator John Glenn and he's well-known for his gun control advocacy.

Doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern over the past few years. Just seems like sometimes, you're a veteran and that can be a strength. 

14 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

I'm not saying I necessarily have a better strategy for a place like Kentucky, but it seems like "get a veteran" is the entire extent of Dems strategy for races like this.

I doubt there’s anything Dems can do in the near term to win but long term I think it would be beneficial to consistently run a progressive.  The Republican-lite strategy only seems to work when the Republican opponent is especially bad.  Not to mention flipping a seat is almost meaningless if the Dem candidate votes likes a Republican. 

16 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

That's been their strategy for a lot of the 21st century, I don't think they've had a whole lot of success.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:18 AM, RedSoxFan9 said:

I doubt there’s anything Dems can do in the near term to win but long term I think it would be beneficial to consistently run a progressive.  The Republican-lite strategy only seems to work when the Republican opponent is especially bad.  Not to mention flipping a seat is almost meaningless if the Dem candidate votes likes a Republican. 

2 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Democrats need to accept that Republicans own the military brand, and there’s nothing they can do about it. 

Wow, functional fucking posts from you. Incredible.

• Haha 5