Philosophically, what's the point of frozen pizza?

Chris-

19 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Where the fuck are you where you get pizza delivered for $12?! The cheapest place around here I can get an extra large (because I have to share pizza if I order it, less so if it's frozen) for like $18, if I pick it up myself. Delivery? Pffft. Maybe I could get the price down to $12 if it's a one topping small or something. But at that point I can just get a $3 frozen pizza. At some point the price difference is so large that I can only justify ordering a pizza every once in a while.

How frequently you eat pizza also makes a difference. Obviously if you only eat the stuff once in a while, it's dumb to get frozen to save a few bucks. If it's a regular meal like it is for me, you probably don't want delivery every single time. Also you can store multiple frozen pizzas in your freezer in case you work the graveyard shift like me and need something to eat at 4am.

But all of those conditions are satisfied by take-and-bakes, which are just as cheap and bigger/better than frozen pizzas. Shit, the take-and-bakes at Aldi are the size of an extra large, and they're only like $6! Even if you need a regular, economical pizza option, frozen still isn't worth it!

4 hours ago, Chris- said:

But all of those conditions are satisfied by take-and-bakes, which are just as cheap and bigger/better than frozen pizzas. Shit, the take-and-bakes at Aldi are the size of an extra large, and they're only like $6! Even if you need a regular, economical pizza option, frozen still isn't worth it!

Wait, now you’re making a distinction between refrigerated and frozen pizzas? Those are pretty interchangeable in my mind, but maybe that’s because a frozen pizza never sits in my freezer for long. And again, the difference in quality is fairly minor. 

I think this is building up to a blind taste test of a bunch of shitty pizzas at a D1P meetup. 

I'd take a Digiorno over Little Ceaser's any day, honestly. Or that shitty, super greasy Pizza Pro that's the only option where my in-laws live. Had to eat that one night while we were there this weekend. It's edible, but not great. 

I've cut way back on my pizza consumption, though. Got my cholesterol way down(with the help of a statin) and my weight is trending downward. Pizza is just an occasional indulgence or convenience food for me.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Dude I dunno where you live that you're getting these prices but please refer me to these places.

fac5a3f8ef99ae54e10bb4f011b1e360bf558d14

I highly doubt there is that much of a price discrepancy between Aldi's nationwide. 

46 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Wait, now you’re making a distinction between refrigerated and frozen pizzas? Those are pretty interchangeable in my mind, but maybe that’s because a frozen pizza never sits in my freezer for long. And again, the difference in quality is fairly minor.

Hard disagree my friend.

6 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I highly doubt there is that much of a price discrepancy between Aldi's nationwide. 

What the fuck is an Aldi's? Those same styles of pizza go for like $9.99 at Safeway. I mean, I can get them cheaper at Walmart, but I literally live across the street from Safeway, so...

55 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

What the fuck is an Aldi's? Those same styles of pizza go for like $9.99 at Safeway. I mean, I can get them cheaper at Walmart, but I literally live across the street from Safeway, so...

We must pay more because we’re in California :thinking:

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

I don't need a search engine to understand that Aldi's is a grocery chain, anyone could gather that from context. My point wasn't literally me asking what it was, but showing that we do not have Aldi's here.

Also these were on sale for $5 at Safeway today, so I'll come back with results. I think I've had these a few times before and my impression was that they were basically just a frozen pizza that wasn't yet frozen. Unlike a proper take and bake place where it's a "proper" pizza that you cook at home. The way I differentiate is a real pizza will have 800 pounds of cheese, which I love, while frozen pizzas will have someone with half a bag of shredded cheese being very stingy with the good stuff.

But again, when it's generally 1/2 the price or cheaper (and faster, since I live across the street from a grocery store) then I don't care all that much.

Yeah, those cold "fresh" refrigerated pizzas or whatever you want to call them aren't bad at all, but literally every pizza place is closer than the stores that sell them, for me that is. For example, the furthest chain from my house is Papa John's. It is 1.4 miles away. Pizza Hunt and Domino's are basically right next door to me. Both less than half a mile away. Aldi's is 2.2 miles away. Further than 3 of the biggest chains. Little Caesars use to be close by but the one that was really close closed down for some reason. My favorite Mom and Pop pizza place is 2.3 miles and my favorite chain pizza, Vocelli Pizza,  is about .8-1 mile away. 

Basically, there is no point in getting a refrigerated pizza for me. It is either frozen or take out. I don't know how long those refrigerated pizzas last uncooked, but I have always assumed you need to make it the same day you get it. I usually have a frozen 3-5 days before I finally bake it. I don't know if the refrigerated ones last that long.