Disney's Mulan Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Releasing on Disney+ on Sept. 4 for $29.99)

• Identical aesthetics.
  • Identical input ports.
  • CX limits HDMI 2.1 bandwidth to 40Gb/s. C9 has full 48Gb/s on all four HDMI 2.1 ports. 
  • Marginally lower peak brightness on CX, but within margin of error / panel variance.
  • Both C9 and CX have excellent viewing angles. CX is slightly worse but within margin of error.
  • CX has slightly better color accuracy out of the box.
  • CX supports 120hz Black Frame Insertion, C9 only supports 60hz Black Frame Insertion.
  • For Variable Refresh Rate, CX Supports Freesync Premium, HDMI 2.1 VRR, and G-SYNC. C9 only supports HDMI 2.1 VRR and G-SYNC.
  • CX Supports 4K/120hz VRR with HDMI 2.0. C9 Supports 4K/60hz VRR with HDMI 2.0.
  • They expect both CX and C9 to support 4K/120hz VRR with HDMI 2.1 on next-gen consoles.
  • Marginally lower input lag on C9 (13.4 ms) vs CX (14.0 ms).

Overall, the differences are very minor. Go with whichever model is cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was fine. Definitely was a movie you would have wanted to see at the theatre. It’s beautiful and BIG. The story was mostly generic which isn’t surprising because... it’s Disney. Thought they would take a few more risks with it being PG-13 and clearly not a remake in the same vein as the other remakes. But oh well. 

25 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

Good. I hope all cultural appropriation bombs. 

Or at least when they have to cater to international audiences over the domestic country to attempt to respect/adhere closer to the culture they are trying to represent.

Sadly, this will be a one off thing since presumably by the time they make another movie this disease will be over with.

Watched it tonight. Wife and I did a “date night at home” type of thing. Tried to replicate the theater experience a bit. It was fun. Anyway, movie was a little disappointing. It’s certainly big and beautiful but the actual story is meh. Pacing isn’t great after the first act. The music was surprisingly disappointing, nothing really memorable. And the worst part was Mulan herself was really pretty boring. 

That all sounds worse than it is. I still enjoyed it. Just had much higher hopes. 6/10

This is the second worst live-action Disney cartoon adaptation. Lion King is still the worst IMO. There’s a lot of issues in this movie caused solely by the changes from the original story and cartoon which hurt it greatly IMO.

Spoiler

They gave Mulan magic powers and had her be this “perfect” being from the get-go. The original is based around a mostly ordinary girl becoming a great warrior, overcoming a sexist society in the process. None of the big moments were earned in this movie: bad guy: “stop lying to yourself, it makes your chi weak!”, Mulan: “oh, okay! *lets hair down and takes off armor in the middle of a battle* Hey, everyone, I’m actually a girl and my name is Mulan“, bad guy:”omg, we’re best friends now, let me help you!”.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

This is the second worst live-action Disney cartoon adaptation. Lion King is still the worst IMO. There’s a lot of issues in this movie caused solely by the changes from the original story and cartoon which hurt it greatly IMO.

Hide contents

They gave Mulan magic powers and had her be this “perfect” being from the get-go. The original is based around a mostly ordinary girl becoming a great warrior, overcoming a sexist society in the process. None of the big moments were earned in this movie: bad guy: “stop lying to yourself, it makes your chi weak!”, Mulan: “oh, okay! *lets hair down and takes off armor in the middle of a battle* Hey, everyone, I’m actually a girl and my name is Mulan“, bad guy:”omg, we’re best friends now, let me help you!”.

Yeah...it’s not great and it misses some of the moments from the cartoon. But if you missed why the “transition” scene(s) youre criticizing make sense then you kinda weren’t really paying attention. 

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah...it’s not great and it misses some of the moments from the cartoon. But if you missed why the “transition” scene(s) youre criticizing make sense then you kinda weren’t really paying attention. 

I was paying attention, while I certainly oversimplified it, it was just bad transitions :p