Disney's Mulan Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Releasing on Disney+ on Sept. 4 for $29.99)

11 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

there is a difference between reacting to what is happening on the screen and a-holes playing on their phones and talking nonstop about random shit in their lives

There's also a difference between reacting to things and practically fucking narrating the movie.

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I honestly don’t know what people are talking about with this constant talking/phones thing. I can only think of one movie in the last 10 years where I had an audience member issue.

I feel like excessive talking has gotten better but that it's still a problem that people look at their phones during the movie without having the decency to at least minimize their screen brightness before the movie starts.

4 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

if that thing actually works that would be cool to have while on a flight

I've found my S10+ screen big enough to give a pretty good experience with tablet/phone holders like this built into the seats:

seat-back-tablet-holder-e1490225624449.j

Yeah that's not worth it for me, either, and I don't want to support the practice of paying a base fee and then additional fees on top for higher-quality movies/shows. I realize this is a unique situation...but don't think that the money-crunches at Disney won't be thinking about doing it again in the future if it is successful.

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

If you can believe it when I fly I actually still use my launch day iPad to watch movies. 

Makes sense if you seriously only want it as a movie screen I guess. I'm already traveling with my Switch so I'd rather watch on my phone than juggle a third device. Now if only they'd finally get Netflix on the Switch it'd be the perfect portable entertainment device. 

13 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

To those upset about the fee on top of a subscription service: would you feel better if this was $30 but on Vudu/iTunes/Whatever instead? What if you could still get it for $30 from Disney+ even if you don’t have a subscription?

Still about $20 too expensive for a digital movie.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

All the “theater at home” releases have been this price, haven’t they? :confused:

No idea.

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

For a single viewer, yeah. For a family it can actually be cheaper or about the same. Especially when you remove the cost of concessions from the experience. 

Eh. Not really factoring any of that in really. Digital copies still have subpar audio and visual quality compared to the physical media counterparts, unfortunately.

On 8/5/2020 at 3:17 PM, sblfilms said:

I actually just took delivery of a 77” C9 for my bedroom. About to hang it <3

So fucking jelly. The boiler in our basement broke and let out a decent amount of water on our carpeted floor. I've never dealt with home insurance before, but they somehow gave us a check for $13k to cover the damage. We are redoing it with porcelain tile and if there's money left over, I REALLY want a 77 inch C9/CX.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

So fucking jelly. The boiler in our basement broke and let out a decent amount of water on our carpeted floor. I've never dealt with home insurance before, but they somehow gave us a check for $13k to cover the damage. We are redoing it with porcelain tile and if there's money left over, I REALLY want a 77 inch C9/CX.

If it weren’t for Covid, I would take my tile guy up there and get your stuff done and you’d definitely have the cash left over! Pro tip: if there are any neighborhoods being built out around you, go find one that has a crew working and ask them for a tile installer. You’ll typically save 20-30% on the labor as opposed to going through a contractor. Then you just go buy whatever material you want and you skip on the contractor mark up there too. This actually works for pretty much any kind of work you need done around the house.

I went back and forth on the 9 vs X for a while and ultimately came to the conclusion that the X didn’t do anything to justify the $1000 difference over the 9, and there are even some things where the 9 is actually better.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If it weren’t for Covid, I would take my tile guy up there and get your stuff done and you’d definitely have the cash left over! Pro tip: if there are any neighborhoods being built out around you, go find one that has a crew working and ask them for a tile installer. You’ll typically save 20-30% on the labor as opposed to going through a contractor. Then you just go buy whatever material you want and you skip on the contractor mark up there too. This actually works for pretty much any kind of work you need done around the house.

I went back and forth on the 9 vs X for a while and ultimately came to the conclusion that the X didn’t do anything to justify the $1000 difference over the 9, and there are even some things where the 9 is actually better.

If only I had spoken to you before this whole thing happened... I stupidly only got estimates from Home Depot and Lowe's, but a major factor was that we were in a hurry because of my bootcamp situation. Home Depot won out on price, plus we found out after the fact that the guy we were speaking to at HD is my wife's co-worker's father, so he knocked off 10% once he realized.

I would take a C8 if it was available! I'm just wondering if the C9's will still be available by the time I am ready to buy one. Some of last year's Vizios have totally disappeared from the market already, and the 2020 Vizio's are only starting to roll out.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

If only I had spoken to you before this whole thing happened... I stupidly only got estimates from Home Depot and Lowe's, but a major factor was that we were in a hurry because of my bootcamp situation. Home Depot won out on price, plus we found out after the fact that the guy we were speaking to at HD is my wife's co-worker's father, so he knocked off 10% once he realized.

I would take a C8 if it was available! I'm just wondering if the C9's will still be available by the time I am ready to buy one. Some of last year's Vizios have totally disappeared from the market already, and the 2020 Vizio's are only starting to roll out.

I wouldn’t recommend a C8 over a CX. The C8 is HDMI 2.0 whereas the C9 and jp are HDMI 2.1. :sun:

35 minutes ago, Joe said:

My cheap ass honestly just wants to get a Vizio 75 inch PX, but I'm sensitive to local dimming lol. 

The 77” CX is on sale for $1000 off msrp at newegg

DO IT

BTW - Vizio is putting out OLEDs this year. No clue how they compare to LG or Sony, though. I think they just started shipping.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The 77” CX is on sale for $1000 off msrp at newegg

DO IT

Great price, but still higher than what the C9 streets for!

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m seeing the C9 for $4-4.5k, the price I quoted on the CX is $3799 :confused:

Weird. I just bought a C9 for $3200 last week! Was bouncing around between there and $3500 for the last couple of months.

48 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Weird. I just bought a C9 for $3200 last week! Was bouncing around between there and $3500 for the last couple of months.

Where?! My rule is I am waiting until one of these goes under 3k. Might take a year or two though lol.