Disney's Mulan Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Releasing on Disney+ on Sept. 4 for $29.99)

On 7/7/2019 at 2:16 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So it’s just gonna be a live action Chinese dams epic. Eh. Crouching Tiger Hidden Drag. 

I may may watch it, but nothing in that makes me feel it will anywhere near the heart and magic of the original. 

No, its supposed to be a faithful recreation of the original story, not the Disney movie, of which had no Mushu. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

After watching Aladdin and Lion King I've really felt like these remakes were at best, unnecessary. This continues to look like an actual take on the story and not just a beat for beat remaster, so I'm in.

Agreed. What's more surprising is that Aladdin turned out better than The Lion King (neither is that good though).

15 hours ago, TwinIon said:

After watching Aladdin and Lion King I've really felt like these remakes were at best, unnecessary. This continues to look like an actual take on the story and not just a beat for beat remaster, so I'm in.

I skipped both of them seen no reason for them to be remade and I couldn't imagine live action being better than the original. I am happy they are taking a fresh step with Mulan and I hope any future remakes follow in it's footsteps.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Wow that is a strong play... I've seen them ride the coattails of other IP's before but I don't think they have this hard.

Well they aren’t doing it through any kind of affiliation with Disney, just based on the Chinese character they took inspiration from to base the movie on.

Also they have branched out to use figures other than gods now. I think they added King Arthur to the game a while ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A little inside baseball: this decision did not involve senior theatrical distribution leadership at all, this is a Bob Chapek idea start to finish. Theatrical find out when the press release dropped.

But if anybody still was holding out hope for major theatrical releases in 2020, game over. Stuff will either go PVOD or slide into 2021, maybe with th exception of whatever it is you call the Tenet plan.

I’ve been begging for a Mulan print. Would murder even with the D+ option day and date!

So are the rumors about Black Widow true or false?

Also curious how big of a hit Disney will take from pirating to Mulan's bottom line (that $30 price point is ridiculous!)

If you're going to go straight to streaming, do it as a tiered option where you have an option for a rental or for that $30 price point, you outright OWN the film with an additional $5-10 fee but will include bonus features. (Still pricey AF but at least there are options then!?)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

Who's to say 2021 is going to be any better?

International markets will make it worth it even if the US is still a dumpster fire. As an example, Disney is going theatrical in China with the film.

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

I weep for the potential future of movie theaters dying, like I just DO NOT want to have that happen. Seeing malls wither & die is already heartbreaking to me.

The U.S. theater market will shrink by at least 50% March 2020 compared to March 2021. The business will have to reinvent itself completely. We have already seen many changes in recent years with the rise of the dine in theater and the FEC concepts. Theaters won't be able to be just a theater in most markets moving forward. Have to expand their offerings and not rely solely on movie product to drive attendance.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The U.S. theater market will shrink by at least 50% March 2020 compared to March 2021. The business will have to reinvent itself completely. We have already seen many changes in recent years with the rise of the dine in theater and the FEC concepts. Theaters won't be able to be just a theater in most markets moving forward. Have to expand their offerings and not rely solely on movie product to drive attendance.

They should design a new theater that somehow each person or group has their own surround sound and can't hear the assholes who want to chat during a movie.

• Haha 1