Disney's Mulan Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Releasing on Disney+ on Sept. 4 for $29.99)

When the Emperor of China issues a decree that one man per family must serve in the Imperial Army to defend the country from Northern invaders, Hua Mulan, the eldest daughter of an honored warrior, steps in to take the place of her ailing father. Masquerading as a man, Hua Jun, she is tested every step of the way and must harness her inner-strength and embrace her true potential. It is an epic journey that will transform her into an honored warrior and earn her the respect of a grateful nation…and a proud father. “Mulan” features a celebrated international cast that includes: Yifei Liu as Mulan; Donnie Yen as Commander Tung; Jason Scott Lee as Böri Khan; Yoson An as Cheng Honghui; with Gong Li as Xianniang and Jet Li as the Emperor. The film is directed by Niki Caro from a screenplay by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver and Elizabeth Martin & Lauren Hynek based on the narrative poem “The Ballad of Mulan.”

A (big) part of me is sad that there will be no songs, as Mulan has some classics. At the same time, I feel like this movie has the best potential to be a vehicle for serious commentary on female empowerment, especially in terms of breaking through in China. For that reason I look forward to seeing it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

A (big) part of me is sad that there will be no songs, as Mulan has some classics. At the same time, I feel like this movie has the best potential to be a vehicle for serious commentary on female empowerment, especially in terms of breaking through in China. For that reason I look forward to seeing it!

Personally I hope they aren't making the focus female empowerment. Don't get me wrong, the story is about female empowerment, as well as the message that one person can make a difference, but I loathe when the focus is on the message. People aren't stupid. Just make a damn entertaining movie and people will get the message without it being force fed. 

I actually think that looks pretty great. I haven't really liked these remakes, and I'd argue that even a good one is questionably worthwhile, but I think that's a really excellent trailer.

I agree it's going to make a ton of money.

I'm surprised no race or gender swaps for this one... (JK)

Honestly I love that they are going in a different direction than the cartoon.  I would probably like most of these remakes more if they did different stuff like this.  I don't really need to see shot for shot remakes in semi live action.  

19 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Personally I hope they aren't making the focus female empowerment. Don't get me wrong, the story is about female empowerment, as well as the message that one person can make a difference, but I loathe when the focus is on the message. People aren't stupid. Just make a damn entertaining movie and people will get the message without it being force fed. 

While I generally agree that I hate messages beaten over my head (rather than woven naturally into the film's thematic subtext and narrative), you are wrong about one thing: people are very, very stupid, generally speaking. Not sure where you got the idea that on average they aren't. 

People still think that depiction is endorsement in films like S. Craig Zahler's Brawl on Cell Block 99 and Dragged Across Concrete. It's ridiculous, but hence all the more reason people need to have things be super clear for them. 

Also, let's take a moment to notice that the film is directed by a female director, Niki Caro, who has a great track record (Whale Rider, North Country, McFarland USA, and The Zookeeper's Wife). Always good to see a female director be given the reigns of a Hollywood blockbuster film, one especially starring a woman (getting a Chinese or Chinese American female director would have been even better). And she's a good director to boot.

11 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

This looks like what I originally thought they were gonna do with these remakes. I live action revisioning of the story. As opposed to a sometimes really awkward live action shot for shot remake. Really excited for this. 

Maybe that's what attracted me to this trailer more than the others. I would much rather have another take on these stories than a complete re-telling, which is what they've mostly been so far.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:50 AM, Greatoneshere said:

While I generally agree that I hate messages beaten over my head (rather than woven naturally into the film's thematic subtext and narrative), you are wrong about one thing: people are very, very stupid, generally speaking. Not sure where you got the idea that on average they aren't. 

At minimum I would say people are disinterested in thinking about the difference between text and subtext in the themes presented in a story. They don’t even care to look for them themselves or at them when others bring them up. I notice this even from people who like good and thought provoking movies, which I friend incredibly bizarre! Why not just watch popcorn munchers if you don’t actually have interest in complex narratives?

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

At minimum I would say people are disinterested in thinking about the difference between text and subtext in the themes presented in a story. They don’t even care to look for them themselves or at them when others bring them up. I notice this even from people who like good and thought provoking movies, which I friend incredibly bizarre! Why not just watch popcorn munchers if you don’t actually have interest in complex narratives?

Yes, I have felt the same for years about people in terms of what you speak of and so I agree 100%.