Who's watching the World Cup final?

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My pet peeve is when people are forced to say "What you're saying..."

OLO

You went from, "Can't be good if you don't watch it!" to "Women's sports are bad." You saw, "It's different, not worse. They're playing at the highest level," and thought, "So you're saying the skill level doesn't affect enjoyment." No one forced you to be dishonest; it's just something you're doing because you're one of those posters. Everyone besides the sexually frustrated Trump supporter and you are following along easily.

If how someone watches something determines how good it is, then there are many plays, movies, shows, video games, and sports that apparently aren't good because you're not watching. People's obsessions with how much sports someone watches and their level of fandom is always humorous.

16 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

OLO

You went from, "Can't be good if you don't watch it!" to "Women's sports are bad." You saw, "It's different, not worse. They're playing at the highest level," and thought, "So you're saying the skill level doesn't affect enjoyment." No one forced you to be dishonest; it's just something you're doing because you're one of those posters. Everyone besides the sexually frustrated Trump supporter and you are following along easily.

If how someone watches something determines how good it is, then there are many plays, movies, shows, video games, and sports that apparently aren't good because AbsolutSurgen isn't watching. People's obsessions with how much sports someone watches and their level of fandom is always humorous.

I think it is a real douche move to call out my real name here, after I deliberately changed my user name.

@SFLUFAN @Mr.Vic20 How can I have my PII removed from his post?

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think it is a real douche move to call out my real name here, after I deliberately changed my user name.

@SFLUFAN @Mr.Vic20 How can I have my PII removed from his post?

I can remove it, but fyi: glass houses. :) You're kind of being full-on hardcore douchey here, especially ITT where I'm apparently the bad guy for "forcing" you to be a bad-faith poster.

You're also gonna need the entire board cleansed of everyone who's ever quoted you for the past year because your name is littered throughout the board.

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I can remove it, but fyi: glass houses. :) You're kind of being full-on hardcore douchey here, especially ITT where I'm apparently the bad guy for "forcing" you to be a bad-faith poster.

You're also gonna need the entire board cleansed of everyone who's ever quoted you for the past year because your name is littered throughout the board.

I have not been a bad faith poster.  I have never called you the bad guy.  You do seem to be very defensive discussing your POV on women's soccer.  

Deciding to refer to someone with their full name, rather than their user name is a dick move and had no justification.

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I have not been a bad faith poster.  I have never called you the bad guy.  You do seem to be very defensive discussing your POV on women's soccer.  

Deciding to refer to someone with their full name, rather than their user name is a dick move and had no justification.

You are a bad-faith poster. You are implying that I'm the bad guy for "forcing" you to dishonestly characterize my posts with one of the most overused techniques in the book. You're also very antagonistic.

I don't think you understood the point of the post. THE [insert name here] not watching something has nothing to do with its quality. What I watch is irrelevant to how good it is. What you watch is irrelevant to how good something is. You either can grasp this or you can continue making an ass out of yourself.

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Everyone here knows your name which also happened to be your former username. If you want to cry about people calling you that that's on you for registering as your real name.

I don't care about the regular users knowing my last name.  Calling out someone's last name when they are doing a job search is a dick move.  We all know that employers google people's names for recent activity.

21 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

You are a bad-faith poster. You are implying that I'm the bad guy for "forcing" you to dishonestly characterize my posts with one of the most overused techniques in the book. You're also very antagonistic.

I don't think you understood the point of the post. THE [insert name here] not watching something has nothing to do with its quality. What I watch is irrelevant to how good it is. What you watch is irrelevant to how good something is. You either can grasp this or you can continue making an ass out of yourself.

I never called you a "bad guy" I never said you "forced me" to do something.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:45 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

My pet peeve is when people are forced to say "What you're saying..." to try and figure out what someone's point is, because they won't explicitly say it, and instead talk about the skill of cheetah's running the 100-yard dash.

No.  That point was "I don't really believe you think women's soccer is good, because you couldn't be bothered to actually watch it."

I'm an economist.  I believe that people attempt to maximize their "utility" -- and when that comes to consuming media/content -- "good" would me it is worthy of using my scarce resources (probably money and time).  I choose to spend my time on the content that I believe that is good -- or the content that "entertains" me and deem worthy of my time.

I don't actually believe there is "inherent quality" in any form of entertainment -- and I wouldn't know how to define that.  There is only whether it is "worthy" of my time.  If you have a way of defining "inherent quality" for media, I would be very interested in hearing it.

Which goes back to women's soccer.  I didn't find it entertaining for the reasons I laid out earlier in this thread(lack of competitiveness, low skill level, poor officiating, etc.) -- and chose not to watch any more of it.  I said I didn't believe you actually thought it was good, because you have already said you won't watch any more of it.

Back to your comment on whether something isn't "good" if I haven't watched it.  IMHO, I can only offer an opinion on whether something is "good" if I have experienced it.  What I choose to experience is based on my expectation/hope of how "good" it will be.  When I sit down to watch a movie, I try to watch the movie that I EXPECT to enjoy the most.  Similarly, when I pick a game to play, I select the one I expect to enjoy the most.  Am I wrong some of the time?  Absolutely.  [And because I generally don't enjoy replaying games or rewatching movies, I am normally trying to watch new ones.]

So, if I said I played the first hour of the newest game (say Warfare Battle Extreme) -- and have decided not to play it again.  You can reasonably determine that I don't think Warfare Battle Extreme was good.

It is certainly possible, that you don't make decisions on what content you consume in the same way I do, and instead don't try and maximize your entertainment.

And again, if you have a definition of the "inherent quality" of a piece of entertainment, it could be an interesting conversation.

Don't feel the need to respond to this post if you don't want to. 

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don't care about the regular users knowing my last name.  Calling out someone's last name when they are doing a job search is a dick move.  We all know that employers google people's names for recent activity.

I guess employers are SOL if they try to google my name!

5 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I never called you a "bad guy" I never said you "forced me" to do something.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:45 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

My pet peeve is when people are forced to say "What you're saying..."

And you're hinging your argument on, "I didn't use the specific words 'bad guy,'" on top of it.

Yo, just stop. You're debating in bad faith and were trying to land a gotcha the minute you stepped into the thread. 

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

And you're hinging your argument on, "I didn't use the specific words 'bad guy,'" on top of it.

Yo, just stop. You're debating in bad faith and were trying to land a gotcha the minute you stepped into the thread. 

Ok then.  You're a bad, bad guy.  You win.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2019 at 10:18 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Lol. Guess you have not watched FC Cincinnati play this year.

Yes a 34 year old woman would have a hard time with the physical aspect of the MLS but her skill set is good enough to make the roster on several MLS teams. 

The USWNT lost to the US U15 boys 5-2 in a scrimmage. You can’t divorce skills from physical ability in an athletic competition because physical ability enhances skills and vice versa. 

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The USWNT lost to the US U15 boys 5-2 in a scrimmage. You can’t divorce skills from physical ability in an athletic competition because physical ability enhances skills and vice versa. 

You can. Male to female is unfair 99% of the time but if we’re talking like Greg Maddux and Aroldis Chapman I think we can agree that Chapman is more physically gifted but Maddux is more skilled. They are great in different ways and one is better. And it ain’t Chapman. 

35 minutes ago, johnny said:

You can. Male to female is unfair 99% of the time but if we’re talking like Greg Maddux and Aroldis Chapman I think we can agree that Chapman is more physically gifted but Maddux is more skilled. They are great in different ways and one is better. And it ain’t Chapman. 

Would each be better by rearing their respective strengths and gaining the other persons strengths? Yes, because skill sets are enhanced by physical ability, and physical ability is enhanced by skill set.

If Maddux could throw harder (physical ability) while maintaining the control (skill set) he had, he would have been better in both his prime and especially so in the waning years of his career.

Another way to think of it is this, if Maddux could only throw his fastball 70mph (about the top end for female pitchers), how would he fare in the MLB if all his skills were the same?

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Of course physical ability is a major component in determining one’s talents, but  you can still judge a person on technique and sport intelligence. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Of course physical ability is a major component in determining one’s talents, but  you can still judge a person on technique and sport intelligence. 

True. Like when a QB gets older but still plays at a high level because of technique and greater intelligence of the game. Same for basketball stars. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

True. Like when a QB gets older but still plays at a high level because of technique and greater intelligence of the game. Same for basketball stars. 

Damn it, that's what I've been trying to say. :p Like, the women are not as quick, but they're all not as quick, so I don't see something bad; I see something that feels a bit different than watching the men's Germany team play Argentina or something. However, in terms of executing their set pieces, they're excellent, particularly the woman's team compared to the men's team in their league.

I'm still hoping they win a World Cup before I die. Thank God for good health. :pray:

11 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Actually, it wasn't the US U15 boys -- it was the FC Dallas U15 team.  (i.e. not a national team - the US U15 team would be much better). :)

58 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Damn it, that's what I've been trying to say. :p Like, the women are not as quick, but they're all not as quick, so I don't see something bad; I see something that feels a bit different than watching the men's Germany team play Argentina or something. However, in terms of executing their set pieces, they're excellent, particularly the woman's team compared to the men's team in their league.

I'm still hoping they win a World Cup before I die. Thank God for good health. :pray:

The development process of talent in South America and Europe is significantly better than that in the U.S.  That would need to change for the U.S. to credibly challenge for a men's WC.  Rec soccer is very popular in the U.S., but from what I have seen, there is much more focus on elite Baseball/Football/Basketball here.  ESPN ran a great article on why France is pumping out so many good players right now.

The difference between the skill level of Megan Rapinoe and Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar/Mbappe/Kane/Salah/Pogba/Bale etc. is more than just speed.  If you think they are executing on the same level, I think you are watching different soccer than I am.  The footwork alone is night and day.

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The development process of talent in South America and Europe is significantly better than that in the U.S.  That would need to change for the U.S. to credibly challenge for a men's WC.  Rec soccer is very popular in the U.S., but from what I have seen, there is much more focus on elite Baseball/Football/Basketball here.  ESPN ran a great article on why France is pumping out so many good players right now.

The difference between the skill level of Megan Rapinoe and Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar/Mbappe/Kane/Salah/Pogba/Bale etc. is more than just speed.  If you think they are executing on the same level, I think you are watching different soccer than I am.  The footwork alone is night and day.

To the bold: I know. That's why I said before I die as opposed to the next World Cup.

To the latter, comparisons to athletes like Messi don't mean anything to me; the notion that if you're not Messi, you're not good, or if you're not Ronaldo, it's not good, or that those people are the only good soccer, are premises people like Chris and I are rejecting. Messi's one of the best players in the world and one of the best in recent memory, period. I don't need to watch a men's Argentine team, or German team, or 2006's Italian team, to watch good soccer. I also mentioned more than speed, and frankly, I've been more impressed with women's soccer and its fewer injury fakes/exaggerations than what I see in men's soccer. There are many ways to quantify what quality is. 

3 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

why is nobody talking about the lowkey best sport in the world Curling?

There is a hilarious episode of the Netflix do I series “Losers” about Curling.

• 2 weeks later...