Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout (04 August 2020) OT - Stumble Toward Greatness (Update: Creative Mode announced!))

Pikachu

Granted I've only played a few rounds but I'm not understanding the hype for this game. They really need to work on their descriptions/instructions.   I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to do during Jinxed. Just a bunch of people running around. I didn't quite grasp Memory until I fell off and watched a round to figure out they wanted. I'll probably put an hour or two in to play all the games but I don't see myself sticking with it. 

It's fun but hard. Very frustrating when you almost qualify, and makes you want to play just one more round.

Is it laggy for anyone else though? I get people, and myself jumping all over the place. Can't tell if that's the game, or it's me because my TV and PS4 are in the basement :s

36 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

How many people hating on the tail grab game?

Oh for sure.  I don’t fully understand the grab mechanic.  Seems like for me it needs to run the full grabbing animation but then someone will run by me and grab my tail in half a second?!?!?  Still, I suck most at the running level where the slime is rising.  I love the later levels so I don’t see them much as you have to wait until 4th level.  Those favs are soccer and the platform that tiles disappear once stepped on then you fall to next platform.  Oh, and any level with big balls!:blush:

6 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Still, I suck most at the running level where the slime is rising.  I love the later levels so I don’t see them much as you have to wait until 4th level.  Those favs are soccer and the platform that tiles disappear once stepped on then you fall to next platform.  Oh, and any level with big balls!:blush:

Slime Climb is the best one.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

How many people hating on the tail grab game?

With the latency in experiencing it's especially frustrating because people will teleport out of my reach just ss I'm about to grab them, or they'll teleport instantly beside me and steal my tail. 

4 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

Oh for sure.  I don’t fully understand the grab mechanic.  Seems like for me it needs to run the full grabbing animation but then someone will run by me and grab my tail in half a second?!?!?  Still, I suck most at the running level where the slime is rising.  I love the later levels so I don’t see them much as you have to wait until 4th level.  Those favs are soccer and the platform that tiles disappear once stepped on then you fall to next platform.  Oh, and any level with big balls!:blush:

This is a thing I heard an artist explain. Everything in a multiplayer game is animated twice, once for the player, and a second for those seeing what that player is doing. Apparently those images look very different by necessity of the different views, and that causes problems like the one you mentioned in multiplayer games. It looks like they started the animation second, but it’s because of lag in processing the second image. In a SP game, in general, no actual eyes are on you, so the second layer isn’t needed.

Just something interesting I didn’t know before.

Also, obviously regular internet lag is also a problem, I just thought it was an interesting fact.

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

This is a thing I heard an artist explain. Everything in a multiplayer game is animated twice, once for the player, and a second for those seeing what that player is doing. Apparently those images look very different by necessity of the different views, and that causes problems like the one you mentioned in multiplayer games. It looks like they started the animation second, but it’s because of lag in processing the second image. In a SP game, in general, no actual eyes are on you, so the second layer isn’t needed.

Just something interesting I didn’t know before.

Also, obviously regular internet lag is also a problem, I just thought it was an interesting fact.

Interesting!

19 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Could this game be the next Minecraft/Fortnite, or is it just a fad?

It's way too shallow to be either of those.

Its a fun mini games collection.  If they add some kind of map editor and add in user created content, it would definitley add to it.  As is it's only got a pretty small handful of courses and game types.

Still fun for what it is.  It's simplicity is a big positive.

I have thought a few times about getting it after watching multiple streamers play it, but I just seem myself getting bored of it after a few days. I also don't think I'd like any of the team games as I don't even like watching them. They look more tedious than fun, especially the egg basket one and the soccer one. Like, it kinda reminds me of Mario Party. Playing a game of it once or twice with friends and family is pretty fun, but I never wanted to play more than a single game in a row. 

I'd like it a lot more if they front loaded the team games so they're only there when the stakes are low. Then make it so you don't fall over and stumble so easily. It just feels like luck whether a small jump will result in a normal landing or you flopping over and rolling around for a thousand years. That stuff is cute the first few rounds, but gets old very quickly. Same with how much time is wasted between each round with the really cheap looking dollar store Mario Party load animations, then the tedious camera flyovers and the countdown. So much time wasted. They need to trim the fat and add like a few more mini games per month until they have at least a hundred or so.

The game is fun and simple, but that doesn't excuse the shortcomings that will quickly kill it if they don't start really pumping out exciting content.

Also, my daughter wanted to play it so I resubbed to PS+ for the first time since Destiny 2. Despite the much lower framerate and frankly kind of absurd amount of input latency, it's WAY easier to win matches on PS4. I've won 3 games on PC since launch, and won 3 for my daughter (who gets scared in later rounds) in like an hour.

I was playing with @madmankevin and was eliminated early. I watched him get to the second to last game, and it was the soccer one. One of their teammates either left or was disconnected, so they were one down. Final score was his team 10, the other team 1.

Ouch. 

I have a lot of fun with the team games, tbh. I love winning, but it's not really frustrating to lose as everything plays quickly, and you can leave, get your kudos points, and hop right into another game. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping team games in the earlier rounds and maybe something like the fruit tiles later. Because let's face it: if you forget where the fruit are, you can typically follow where most people are going. 

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Also, my daughter wanted to play it so I resubbed to PS+ for the first time since Destiny 2. Despite the much lower framerate and frankly kind of absurd amount of input latency, it's WAY easier to win matches on PS4. I've won 3 games on PC since launch, and won 3 for my daughter (who gets scared in later rounds) in like an hour.

I wouldn't doubt PC has a higher player base, but also apparently it has an issue with hackers.

11 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I wouldn't doubt PC has a higher player base, but also apparently it has an issue with hackers.

Yeah I saw Admiralbulldog playing and there was someone going like double the speed of everyone else. He just thought it was sad someone had to stoop down to such a level they had to cheat on a kids game. :p

4 hours ago, Nokt said:

Oh it was never an issue with hackers, at least I don't think so. Everyone on PS4 just seemed to really suck? Like I can never win the race where you grab the crown on PC because EVERYONE uses the little hammers and everything to get boosts in the exact right direction. On PS4 I was literally the only person to do that, so I won every time that round came up.