Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout (04 August 2020) OT - Stumble Toward Greatness (Update: Creative Mode announced!))

Pikachu

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-07-03-fall-guys-the-battle-royale-where-you-dont-kill-anyone

The months before GDC is when UK studio Mediatonic dedicates more time to coming up with new ideas and game designs. But in January 2018, there was one particular design the studio was keen to avoid.

"We knew [the market] would be absolutely saturated with battle royales, everyone would be pushing battle royales, so I told the team, 'Whatever you throw at me, don't make it Battle Royale,'" says creative director Jeff Tanton. "And then Joe [Walsh, senior game designer] came to me and said, 'Look, it's a battle royale, but...'"

It was a crucial 'but'. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout is indeed a battle royale, but with little to no emphasis on the battle part. It still has 100 people playing simultaneously, and only one winner can emerge, but the victor is decided by a series of four or five mini-games, each one eliminating swathes of players from the competition.

Rounds might involve running through a series of walls where only one of the doorways can be smashed through, stealing golden eggs from a giant chicken, or surviving treacherous obstacle courses. And the grand finale: running up Fall Mountain, trying to avoid the crushing boulders and wildly swinging hammers as you try to be the first player to grab the crown at the summit.

Continued

12 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Uh... Having 100 people and one winner doesn't make it a Battle Royale. Otherwise American Idol is a Battle Royale.

On American Idol, they don't all sing simultaneously...

Do they? I haven't really watched in since the 2nd season. But that sounds like a nightmare.

1 minute ago, Raggit said:

On American Idol, they don't all sing simultaneously...

Do they? I haven't really watched in since the 2nd season. But that sounds like a nightmare.

That sounds WAY better than actual American Idol.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was in the beta and it is a fun time waster but this game needs to be free in general.  The matchmaking was horrendous probably due to the low player base.  Otherwise the game was a fun time waster.  Got 2nd place on one game I played.

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout flings hordes of contestants together online in a mad dash through round after round of escalating chaos until one victor remains! Battle bizarre obstacles, shove through unruly competitors, and overcome the unbending laws of physics as you stumble towards greatness. Leave your dignity at the door and prepare for hilarious failure in your quest to claim the crown!

Somehow I just assumed that this was free to play, and was surprised to find a $20 price tag on steam.

It seems to be having something of a moment right now. It's the biggest thing on Twitch, it's popping on randomly in my twitter feed. It seems like the kind of thing that could have pretty broad appeal.

Has anyone here actually given it a go? I'm inclined to give it a shot, but I'm not quite $20 sure.

I bought it and played yesterday.

It's a fun simple mini game type game.  Love the aesthetic as well.

My main complaint right now would be they have a lot of team based games which feel completely random on if you succeed or not, and generally they control the worst.

If they keep adding more content it'll def be a fun game to throw on with friends.

It's great to play a few rounds occasionally.  When they introduce Custom Games and you can play with a community that could be a lot more fun as well.

But it's also something that will get old fairly quick, I'm not sure how many mini games there are but there don't seem to be a ton.

Games like this always make me wonder why more studios don't churn out more Mini Game Collections.  They don't seem like they'd be overly difficult or expensive to make, but are a great addition to a library.  

Nintendo butchered Mario Party's online functionality. Still seems like a lot missing.  There's Pummel Party on PC right now.  Not sure of others.

14 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Games like this always make me wonder why more studios don't churn out more Mini Game Collections.  They don't seem like they'd be overly difficult or expensive to make, but are a great addition to a library.  

Nintendo butchered Mario Party's online functionality. Still seems like a lot missing.  There's Pummel Party on PC right now.  Not sure of others.

Jackbox doesn't count?