The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf (anime prequel film - 23 August 2021) - Official Trailer

So I've looked around and there seems to be a lot of people that love it, and some that hate it, not a lot of in between, even between book readers and players of the games. I've read that as it jumps between characters, it is also jumping time which throws people off, and you have to use context in conversations to figure out when it is. I read the first 3 episodes are weak and it begins to come together episode 4 onward. User scores seem much higher than critics right now.

I plan to watch over the coming days!

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Would it be a waste to watch it on my phone? I have a few long flights coming up and am trying to tee things up for those flights. But would wait if it's pretty enough to be worth saving for the big TV. 

I mean... I watched it on my phone. I prefer watching on the TV but with my son and the TV currently being right next to his room I'm watching a lot of stuff on my phone in bed or on the train to/from work lately.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I really liked the First EP, but that is because of the Geralt and Ciri focus. It could get worse the less Geralt there is. He is all I care about really. 

I don’t think I’d mind one or two episodes that switch off of him/Ciri for back story or character building. But yeah he’s the Star and Cavill nailed him so he’s who I want to watch. 

Watched the first two episodes and oh wow am I happy. I LOVE this show so far. The music is phenomenal. @Bacon I didn’t get your quote because I hadn’t seen Ep2 yet but you’re right. That song was so good. I need that on my Spotify. 

The combat, sweet mercy the combat. When Geralt first fights it was a thing of beauty. I did not expect the sword play to look that good AT ALL. 

Love that the “time jump” uses contextual clues(that are not hard to find) instead of exposition or text on the screen. Knowing that these two stories will eventually meet makes just makes everything else so compelling. 

I could go on and on. This show is so good!

37 minutes ago, Jose said:

So the consensus here is that it's better than the reviews so far? So pumped for this.

I have finished 5 eps and there ain't much wrong with the show aside from some lighting and camera angles or something I am not sure what to call it. Like, some shots look like they are directing a commercial for a beach get away or an allergy medicine. 

I just started the fourth episode. It is a good show so far. However, I can see how the show can cause confusion as they jump back and forth in time without obvious transitions. Many parts feel as if it is happening concurrently when they are jumping around 10+ years at a time. People that have not read the books may have a tougher time following what is happening as a result.

Once all the backstory is dealt with I can see the show hitting its stride.

I'm only partway through the first episode but so far they're nailing the atmosphere of the Witcher. This is like watching an extended cutscene from one of the games, in a good way. Which makes me get why the reviews are so mixed. I don't think it's objectively THAT great, but my interest is being held because of my previous experience with the games and the first two or three books. I can see not liking this if you don't have any prior attachment to the franchise. 

Also, based on what I'm seeing so far: this is a book adaptation, right? It's not an original story? I wasn't sure until 

Spoiler

the bit about Nilfgard rolling over Cintra on the battlefield. 

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Also, based on what I'm seeing so far: this is a book adaptation, right? It's not an original story? I wasn't sure until 

It is seems mostly like a book adaption, but unless Season 2 has some surprises, it veers off of the path of the book here and there. Similar to how GoT was mostly faithful until it wasn't. If The Witcher Netflix series reaches an ending, I would not be surprised if it would be an original ending. 

Well it was pretty good, but EP 7 and 8 were kind of a big let down that left a half-sour taste in my mouth. Show kinda dipped in quality with EP 6 (some things felt lazy and could have been done in a more grand way) and then just got worse from there. Some spoilers for 7 and 8. 

Spoiler

Like, so 7 and 8 are way too much about the sorcerers with very little Geralt, and very little sword play from Geralt. The final ep was basically an entire battle but no Geralt and just all mages which is a let down. Like, I was expecting a super Geralt EP because, you know all those little symbols they show at the start of Each EP? Well they all merge into one giant symbol for the final EP and what they merge into is the Witcher's Wolf Medallion. And then it goes straight into Mage bullshit for 90% of the EP. It was a huge fucking letdown for me. Like, I really could not care less about the mages and even less about the the new mages that the show wants you to care about. EP 7 is kinda where the timeline converges and so it has flashbacks and reused scenes that felt like I was watching a recap of EP 1. 

1-4 were really good EPs. 5 and 6 weren't amazing but OK enough and 7 and 8 kinda dropped the ball, IMO. 

EP 1-4 = 9.5/10

EP 5 = 8/10

EP 6 = 7/10

EP 7 and 8 = 5.5/10 

I only watched the first episode last night, but I loved that it started out at the beginning of the first book (even though iirc the Nilfgaard invasion didn't happen till book three). Stregebor's tower and Renfrie were fun to see come to life. 

And of course, if you've only played the games..

Spoiler

You finally get to know why he's called the Butcher of Blaviken

I can see Season Two being really good, since the groundwork for the world and its characters will have been laid. I would love to see an intimate over-arching story like the Blood and Wine expansion, or even Hearts of Stone, that doesn't necessarily have to do with the prophecies and the fate of the world, etc.

Oh and maybe introduce Letho to shake up the politics a bit ;)

I thought Episode 1 was a mixed bag. Everything with Geralt and Renfri was good, but most of the Ciri stuff was awful - the poor exposition concerning Eist/Skellige, the straight up 'war were declared' moment during the ball, the cheesy ass battle sequence with the completely unearned emotional moment at the end - just terrible all around.

• Guillotine 3

11 hours ago, Chris- said:

I thought Episode 1 was a mixed bag. Everything with Geralt and Renfri was good, but most of the Ciri stuff was awful - the poor exposition concerning Eist/Skellige, the straight up 'war were declared' moment during the ball, the cheesy ass battle sequence with the completely unearned emotional moment at the end - just terrible all around.

Yea gotta agree with this. HC really owns the part but everything else was B tier. Geralt walking into the bar in the beginning you could almost hear the record scratch as everyone froze up staring at him. Watching him earn is nick name was disappointing, i expected something terrible and instead we watch him slaughter a handful of mooks . Having the King/Queen on the battlefield seems like a super obvious bad idea its also seems like a bad idea if war is at your front door to just leave heir to the kingdom sitting by fire place.

20 hours ago, Bacon said:

It is seems mostly like a book adaption, but unless Season 2 has some surprises, it veers off of the path of the book here and there. Similar to how GoT was mostly faithful until it wasn't. If The Witcher Netflix series reaches an ending, I would not be surprised if it would be an original ending. 

Ah okay, I never finished the books and it's been long enough that I don't remember the ones I read super well...but unlike GoT this has the benefit of working with a series of books that's already been completed, though.

58 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Yea gotta agree with this. HC really owns the part but everything else was B tier. Geralt walking into the bar in the beginning you could almost hear the record scratch as everyone froze up staring at him. Watching him earn is nick name was disappointing, i expected something terrible and instead we watch him slaughter a handful of mooks . Having the King/Queen on the battlefield seems like a super obvious bad idea its also seems like a bad idea if war is at your front door to just leave heir to the kingdom sitting by fire place.

Some Kings have actually fought in battle irl 

Episode 3:

Spoiler

Is this freaky magical plastic surgery thing something new to the show? I could have sworn I remembered sorceresses actually retaining their original physical appearances, and their outward perfect beauty just being a magical illusion.

Ok finished the season. I enjoyed it. It definitely has some rough points but I think they are in a good spot for season 2. Geralt stuff is really good but I really liked Yennefer’s as well. Thought Ciri had the weakest part of the story but her timeline is considerably shorter so idk. Unlike @Bacon I actually like episodes 7 and 8. They are not without problems but I do enjoy the mages.