The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf (anime prequel film - 23 August 2021) - Official Trailer

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Just finished episode 4. I actually kind of like the vague timeline setup. I have a feeling this will be one of those shows where you'll catch things you didn't the first time through.

I'm enjoying watching the short stories play out.

I didn’t mind it at first but around episode 7 I wasn’t a fan anymore. I wish it would have been played in chronological order or at the very least a date and location when it jumped around. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2019/12/20/the-critics-must-be-crazy-the-witcher-is-a-fantastic-new-netflix-original-series/#335abba054a4

This. This. This. A thousand times this!!!  He absolutely shreds the EW review and the distributing trend of other reviews that are like it across all media. This is what we need more of, critics holding each other accountable. 

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2019/12/20/the-critics-must-be-crazy-the-witcher-is-a-fantastic-new-netflix-original-series/#335abba054a4

This. This. This. A thousand times this!!!  He absolutely shreds the EW review and the distributing trend of other reviews that are like it across all media. This is what we need more of, critics holding each other accountable. 

I like how it’s literally her job to review shows and she can’t even watch all the episodes available to her 

8 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I finished the show moments ago and then came into this thread and this article caught my eye. This guy points out what I've noticed about reviewers YEARS ago.  I don't know why folks still bother with them to be honest.  I dug the show. It's definitely different and requires more effort on the viewer's part. Henry Cavill does a great Geralt (He's clearly a fan of the game) and the entire cast actually grew on me despite my initial reservations. Soundtrack was great as well... very reminiscent of the game.  I didn't find the timeline stuff confusing at all... if you're paying attention it's not that hard tp figure out. Looking forward to the next season, but before that I definitely want to rewatch on my TV when I get back home in 4K. I'd give this first season a solid 8.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He's clearly a fan of the game

Yeah, he's clearly doing the Geralt voice from the English version of the game. Also,

Spoiler

this is 100% a shot stolen from the game and you're not gonna convince me otherwise. :lol:

WiZZ47Y.jpg?1

On 12/23/2019 at 7:34 AM, Mercury33 said:

My wife doesn’t know anything about it and followed it just fine without me explaining anything. The multiple timeline thing is revealed in episode 4 but there are context clues that help you figure it out in episode 1. Def not a show you can watch while you’re on your phone and expect to not miss anything.  

On 12/23/2019 at 8:15 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, my husband hasn't played the games or read the books and he's following it without much trouble. 

My stepfather knows nothing about the game or books and is in his sixties and had no problem following the show either.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I’ll pile on. My 67 year old mother just finished it. Zero experience with the source material, had no trouble following it. Even picked up that decades were passing in between some of Geralts stories. The context clues are there. 

I'll pile on even more... my nineteen year old niece who also knows nothing about the books or games binged the whole show over the course of a day. Zero problems following the story or time periods. 

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

I too also enjoy marvel movies. I didn’t say you’re an idiot if you love them. 

I know... just messing with you. I got what you were saying ;) I didn't go back and reread the thread BTW... I assumed a lot of people here didn't have a problem following the time jumps but I know that was a comment in some of the reviews and on social media.

Finished it last night. Loved it. Cavill definitely studied the books and played the games to prep for this role; Cavill basically is Geralt of Rivea, and his voice is almost a 1:1 mimic of the VA from the games. Whether Cavill doing the voice like this was for (game) fan service or not, I have no idea, but I’m glad he did it because I always thought that voice was perfect for Geralt. I also felt the casting and acting for Yennefer and Dandelion/Jaskier was absolutely spot on as well... Triss... the acting was fine, but the casting was meh there, IMO. I believe S1 pulls from The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. I am very much looking forward to S2. 

Just finished it yesterday. I was pissed it was only 8 episodes thought he would be the standard Netflix 10 episodes. 

I never read the books and haven’t played much of the games. Loved the show. I thought it was neat when I realized they were following characters in different time periods. Some clues were subtle while others very much not subtle.  lol

Very enjoyable. Cannot wait for season 2. 

2 hours ago, Firewithin said:

And after a decade, the Game of Thrones theme has been replaced as my ringtone. 

Started reading The Last Wish yesterday. Really really enjoyable. I love how they tie him in loosely to other fairy tales. That was completely unexpected and executed really well. After I finish I’m gonna go back and rewatch the show. 

Also restarted Witcher 3(never did the DLC). I never forgot how good it was. It’s one of my top 3 games of all time. But I kinda forgot just HOW GOOD the smaller details in the game are. The way all the side quests kinda seamlessly flow together and back into the main narrative. 

I haven’t been this into a “world” since I consumed everything that had to do with the Dead Space universe. Before EA fucking ruined everything with DS2. 

This is gonna be a long ass wait for season 2. 

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Finished it last night. Loved it. Cavill definitely studied the books and played the games to prep for this role; Cavill basically is Geralt of Rivea, and his voice is almost a 1:1 mimic of the VA from the games. Whether Cavill doing the voice like this was for (game) fan service or not, I have no idea, but I’m glad he did it because I always thought that voice was perfect for Geralt. I also felt the casting and acting for Yennefer and Dandelion/Jaskier was absolutely spot on as well... Triss... the acting was fine, but the casting was meh there, IMO. I believe S1 pulls from The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. I am very much looking forward to S2. 

I could just be interpreting your post wrong, but Cavill is a huge PC gamer and a fan of the games and the books. He actually campaigned to get the role of Geralt, he's such a big fan. So I think his greatness at the role comes from his Fandom, not that he studied the material just to get good at the role. 

Again, if you know all this, just disregard me. I could just be reading your post all wrong. 

On 12/27/2019 at 5:18 PM, Mercury33 said:

I thought I read Sword of Destiny, while chronologically earlier, should be read after the main 5 book saga because it will make more sense. Or am I thinking of the wrong book. 

The "second" book, The Last Wish, is a series of short stories that take place chronologically first. The "first" book, Sword of Destiny, is also a collection of short stories, but technically takes place chronologically second, after The Last Wish, despite being published first as an anthology. After that, books 3 thru 8 are a giant story arc and are after the first two "books". 

The show so far has adapted all but one story from The Last Wish whilst adapting a few (particularly those covering Ciri of Cintra) from Sword of Destiny. I hope that helps some!

Also, anyone else impressed by the practical effects? The sylvan and the fight with the striga were both impressive, I got a very del Toro make-up  effects company vibe from those, and appreciated it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I thought I read Sword of Destiny, while chronologically earlier, should be read after the main 5 book saga because it will make more sense. Or am I thinking of the wrong book. 

Maybe? I was also confused on where to start, but pretty much every article I read said to read them in that order. I think I also read that those two books were the basis for season one. 

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Maybe? I was also confused on where to start, but pretty much every article I read said to read them in that order. I think I also read that those two books were the basis for season one. 

Read the post of mine above yours, but book 2 is technically book 1 chronologically and should be read first, and book 1 (while published first) is book 2 chronologically, and should be read second. Then book 3 thru 8. :)

Season 1 of the show pretty much adapts every short story from The Last Wish (book 2) except for one, and adapts most of the short stories from Sword of Destiny (book 1) as well. I imagine season 2 of the show will go with book 3 and onward, getting into the guts of the main story. 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Read the post of mine above yours, but book 2 is technically book 1 chronologically and should be read first, and book 1 (while published first) is book 2 chronologically, and should be read second. Then book 3 thru 8. :)

That's not what I read in all the articles I checked, plus I've already started The Last Wish.