The Sandman (Netflix) - second season renewal finally confirmed

17 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I really cannot conceive of a live-action Sandman series - it seems more suited to VERY high-end animation.

Whilst I'm inclined to agree in this day and age I think it can be done - though I would love to see this done as well. 

3 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

there are very few properties that i would think are un-adaptable but this would be one of them.

It's gonna be tough, no question. You need someone like Bryan Fuller to do it and he and Gaiman are already on bad terms. If not Fuller, someone like Refn or del Toro. 

18 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I really cannot conceive of a live-action Sandman series - it seems more suited to VERY high-end animation.

100% this. It’s hard to imagine that even a well done live adaptation would change visual style depending upon story arc, and that’s a huge part of what makes Sandman what it is for me. 

My biggest concern right now is that the showrunner is Allan Heinberg. I'm not sure the guy who wrote a number of episodes for Party of Five, The O.C., Grey's Anatomy, and The Catch can do The Sandman justice. He wrote Wonder Woman, which was good enough, but doesn't indicate that he can do The Sandman. 

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Everyone is saying the right things, but it's still going to be a monumental undertaking.

My only reference to the story is listening to the Audible version of this - which has a great cast and I thought was very well done.  However that seemed to be a good medium for the story and I agree that live action is going to be hard to pull off.

I don't really think I want to see a live action version of the dinner section of the story...

• 3 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: The Sandman (Netflix) - First Look Trailer
On 7/1/2019 at 1:42 PM, Greatoneshere said:

My biggest concern right now is that the showrunner is Allan Heinberg. I'm not sure the guy who wrote a number of episodes for Party of Five, The O.C., Grey's Anatomy, and The Catch can do The Sandman justice. He wrote Wonder Woman, which was good enough, but doesn't indicate that he can do The Sandman. 

Don't call it that. 

35 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

What are you thinking of? I don’t remember to much standing out as being a product of it’s time/unacceptable by today’s standards

So there are things that are less weird on the page and more weird with human beings, like white ass Morpheus appearing dark skinned and African depending on who is witnessing him.  Like do you keep that?  Do you have a black actor with the white actor’s voice because it’s less confusing on the page because he had the spooky outline dialog bubbles?  There’s some transgender stuff that’s odd as well if I recall correctly.  

14 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

What are you thinking of? I don’t remember to much standing out as being a product of it’s time/unacceptable by today’s standards

There’s stuff in A Game of You that deals with trans issues that has not aged especially well. It was well intentioned but it’d be called out if adapted as written. Gaiman has, if I recall correctly, basically said as much; that he did his best but it’s a product of its time. He’s been accused of TERF stuff himself, which even a pretty critical reading of it likely wouldn’t line up with. I think the larger issue is that it was kind of held up as one of the better trans stories in relatively mainstream comics for awhile but again, in hindsight, kind of wears the perspective of a cis man on its sleeve.

Again IIRC, I think he said any modern adaptations of it wouldn’t just use what he wrote back then as the template, so he thinks of it as an issue as well.

14 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

So there are things that are less weird on the page and more weird with human beings, like white ass Morpheus appearing dark skinned and African depending on who is witnessing him.  Like do you keep that?  Do you have a black actor with the white actor’s voice because it’s less confusing on the page because he had the spooky outline dialog bubbles?  There’s some transgender stuff that’s odd as well if I recall correctly.  

Yeah I’ve wondered about that, too. Morpheus in the comic is often LITERALLY white, not just a white guy. But he appears to dreamers the way they expect. So it’ll be straight up less interesting if he’s always played by the same white dude regardless of context, especially if he’s encountering African, Middle Eastern, Asian, etc., people in the Dreaming, as he does in the comic pretty regularly. Shit he appears as a cat to cats when they’re dreaming.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 10:04 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah I’ve wondered about that, too. Morpheus in the comic is often LITERALLY white, not just a white guy. But he appears to dreamers the way they expect. So it’ll be straight up less interesting if he’s always played by the same white dude regardless of context, especially if he’s encountering African, Middle Eastern, Asian, etc., people in the Dreaming, as he does in the comic pretty regularly. Shit he appears as a cat to cats when they’re dreaming.

The-Sandman-tv-show-endless-appearances-
SCREENRANT.COM

Neil Gaiman says The Endless will change form.

• 7 months later...

It will come as no surprise to anyone who knows I married a 6’ tall woman that I stan Christie. :p I dunno that I’ve seen her play the kind of “bored but pissed off about it and dangerous” vibe I always read Lucifer as having in the comic. Shit if we’re limiting the casting to tall white women, I feel like Debicki more closely matches a gender swapped Lucifer as drawn in Sandman, and her attitude in Tenet fits too. 

And I agree with @Commissar SFLUFAN, this should have been animated. Hell I would have been psyched on an IRL episode or two in an otherwise animated show, something like The Animatrix just cranked to 11. 

It’s possible I posted that exact sentiment before, I feel like this has been pending forever. :p

• Like 1

Eh I kinda agree it should have been animated. But really we kinda already have that if you listen to the audio book while reading along in the book. Which IMO is the absolute definitive way to consume the Sandman now. 

A real life cast is the much more adventurous way to go. I think Gaiman learned a lot from American Gods and I’m hoping we get something really special. 

And hopefully people don’t flip out when stuff is different or out of order or missing. Fans HAVE to realize a straight 1:1 adaption of the comic is impossible. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

4 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Eh I kinda agree it should have been animated. But really we kinda already have that if you listen to the audio book while reading along in the book. Which IMO is the absolute definitive way to consume the Sandman now. 

A real life cast is the much more adventurous way to go. I think Gaiman learned a lot from American Gods and I’m hoping we get something really special. 

And hopefully people don’t flip out when stuff is different or out of order or missing. Fans HAVE to realize a straight 1:1 adaption of the comic is impossible. 

I really do think the audio drama kinda/sorta "ruined" the live-action series for me because of the absolutely high bar it set in terms of quality and that nothing that could be presented on-screen could ever match what was in the theater of my mind as I listened to the audio.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really do think the audio drama kinda/sorta "ruined" the live-action series for me because of the absolutely high bar it set in terms of quality and that nothing that could be presented on-screen could ever match what was in the theater of my mind as I listened to the audio.

Mute the show and listen to the audio drama while watching.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Gaiman also has Good Omens season 2 coming, and an American Gods sequel book he's been planning to write that he wanted the show to adapt if it got there. Gaiman still holds out hope for a TV movie or something for American Gods. As someone who stuck through all 3 seasons, the show was better than word of mouth said it was, and I was sad to see it cancelled on such a big cliffhanger. 

I never did get around to watching American Gods, even though it was the first show I technically worked on. What was the falling out between Fuller and Gaiman about? Did the show veer too far away from the book under the new showrunner when Fuller left? 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

I never did get around to watching American Gods, even though it was the first show I technically worked on. What was the falling out between Fuller and Gaiman about? Did the show veer too far away from the book under the new showrunner when Fuller left? 

Gaiman and Fuller wanted a bigger budget than what was being given to them for season 2 and so they walked, feeling they couldn't achieve what they wanted creatively without the bigger budget. The showrunner who took over for season 2 half course corrected back to the book (mostly) whilst continuing and wrapping up non-book plotlines created by season 1. It went to some interesting places. That showrunner left right before the final two episodes were made for season 2. The final showrunner they got for season 3 course corrected further, continuing to close out non-book plotlines that had gone on for too long whilst getting things more and more towards the book (so once Gaiman and Fuller left, the show slowly inched more and more towards the book, rather than veering further away). The final few episodes of season 3 are more or less a straight adaptation of certain chapters in the middle and towards the end of the book. It was pretty clear season 4 would finish adapting things most likely, with Gaiman saying he's planning a sequel book he'd want the show to adapt (separate from Anansi Boys). 

I think American Gods is probably better binged and while season 1 was the best, seasons 2 and 3 are still pretty good TV. Neil Gaiman, on more American Gods just yesterday:

l-intro-1652810227.jpg
WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

But both shows suffered very different fates.