Can't find LGA-1150 boards

My Asus Z97-Pro died and won't boot anymore thanks to normally ocurring power/brown outs. Can only seem to find used of the same model and if I don't I'll have to toss a perfectly good i7 4790k in the trash.

Thinking about just sending $35 and the board in the mail to them to troubleshoot for an RMA.

3 hours ago, mach250 said:

My Asus Z97-Pro died and won't boot anymore thanks to normally ocurring power/brown outs. Can only seem to find used of the same model and if I don't I'll have to toss a perfectly good i7 4790k in the trash.

Thinking about just sending $35 and the board in the mail to them to troubleshoot for an RMA.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007627 600438202

If you want the same board, though, you'd have to go used or RMA.

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

IMO just upgrade the core system. $400 for a new CPU,  mobo,  and RAM will get you something faster,  especially with AMDs new chips coming out

I'm not so sure that an OC'd 4970 is really that far off from even a 9900k in gaming.

Would you recommend LGA 2066 now or is it not much of a performance difference from LGA 1151(300) products? I'm past the interest of overclocking anymore but want to headroom if it's needed.

Right now after looking at 2066 stuff I have the following

(around 1200)

ASUS Prime X299-A

i7-9800X with Corsair H115i Platinum watercooler

Corsair 32 (4x8) DDR4-3200

1151/300

(Around 700)

Asus Prime Z370-A

i7-9700KF with my current Corsair H110 Extreme

Might still RMA this board so I can throw it in my office PC

26 minutes ago, mach250 said:

Would you recommend LGA 2066 now or is it not much of a performance difference from LGA 1151(300) products? I'm past the interest of overclocking anymore but want to headroom if it's needed.

Right now after looking at 2066 stuff I have the following

(around 1200)

ASUS Prime X299-A

i7-9800X with Corsair H115i Platinum watercooler

1151/300

(Around 700)

Asus Prime Z370-A

i7-9700KF with my current Corsair H110 Extreme

Might still RMA this board so I can throw it in my office PC

You’re giving up a ridiculous amount of free performance by not OCing. You really don’t need to do tons of stress tests and all of that old school nonsense unless you’re trying for some type of world record. With a 4790, just set it to 4.4-4.5ghz and be done with it.

Here’s the issue with upgrading: AMD is literally about to drop new chips in the next few weeks (like 2-4 iirc). They look to be as fast or faster than what Intel has at its top end are half or less than half the price.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You’re giving up a ridiculous amount of free performance by not OCing. You really don’t need to do tons of stress tests and all of that old school nonsense unless you’re trying for some type of world record. With a 4790, just set it to 4.4-4.5ghz and be done with it.

Here’s the issue with upgrading: AMD is literally about to drop new chips in the next few weeks (like 2-4 iirc). They look to be as fast or faster than what Intel has at its top end are half or less than half the price.

I've just always been an intel guy, do you think that intel prices might go down after amd does their thing?

3 hours ago, mach250 said:

I've just always been an intel guy, do you think that intel prices might go down after amd does their thing?

Intel prices have already gone down a bit since AMD's benchmarks have leaked.  They could go down a little bit more.  The 9700k and 9900k will still be the best gaming chips, so they will command a premium.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007627 600438202

If you want the same board, though, you'd have to go used or RMA.

I'm not so sure that an OC'd 4970 is really that far off from even a 9900k in gaming.

Does depend on his GPU and resolution, but this year's released games are starting to hit the CPU harder and it's just going to get worse when the new consoles roll out.

On 6/29/2019 at 9:23 PM, Spork3245 said:

I think AMD has just killed overclocking

In a good way.  Seems like if the motherboard can handle it, the chip will clock itself as high as it possibly can all on its own.

• 1 month later...