I think I prefer indie games

JosephManderley

I had no idea this topic would open such a can of worms!  The point I was trying to make was that without deliberately thinking about it, I just seem to gravitate more to indies these days.

I am surprised that people think that because I game on Switch I haven't played big games.  My username should give you an idea of one of my all time favourite game for a start.  A lot of the game series I used to enjoy just don't exist any more, Command and Conquer and SSX for example, or just no longer appeal to me, like CoD.

3 hours ago, JosephManderley said:

I am surprised that people think that because I game on Switch I haven't played big games.  My username should give you an idea of one of my all time favourite game for a start.  A lot of the game series I used to enjoy just don't exist any more, Command and Conquer and SSX for example, or just no longer appeal to me, like CoD.

It’s phase, I wouldn’t read too much into it. 

7 hours ago, JosephManderley said:

I had no idea this topic would open such a can of worms!  The point I was trying to make was that without deliberately thinking about it, I just seem to gravitate more to indies these days.

While it got great reviews, it sold less than many indie games (although I bought one of those copies).  (I've heard it sold less than 150k units in its first year.)  :)

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

While it got great reviews, it sold less than many indie games (although I bought one of those copies).  (I've heard it sold less than 150k units in its first year.)  :)

shut the fuck up you disgusting piece of trash

14 hours ago, JosephManderley said:

The point I was trying to make was that without deliberately thinking about it, I just seem to gravitate more to indies these days.

But you don't have much choice but to gravitate more to indie games if you're only gaming on a Switch, because indie games and niche Japanese games are what it primarily has to offer. Any big budget current gen multiplatform games that it has are gimped because it's basically last gen hardware.

14 hours ago, JosephManderley said:

I have no doubt that you've played big games, but how many somewhat more recent ones have you played? Deus Ex came out nineteen years ago. Last gen and this gen have offered some of the best bigger budget games that I've played. I say bigger budget and not AAA because not every bigger budget game is AAA, but instead games that have bigger budgets than indie games and get released to retail in physical form.

10 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

It’s phase, I wouldn’t read too much into it. 

Whatever, I've probably been gaming longer and play more games than anyone else here. ;)

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

85% of this board is console players who've never played that game or if they played the PS2 version god help them.

I played Deus Ex on the PS2, and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed Deus Ex: Invisible War on the Xbox even more. It's one of my favorite games from that generation.

@Keyser_Soze

:lol:

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I played Mankind Divided on the PS4.

I played Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the Xbox 360, and I have Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for the PS4 but I haven't played it yet. I didn't like Human Revolution quite as much as the first two games in the series, but I heard that Mankind Divided is better.

3 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

@Keyser_Soze

:lol:

I played Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the Xbox 360, and I have Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for the PS4 but I haven't played it yet. I didn't like Human Revolution quite as much as the first two games in the series, but I heard that Mankind Divided is better.

Except for the boss fights, I really enjoyed Human Revolution.  I bounced off Mankind Divided after about 10 hours.

Except for the boss fights, I really enjoyed Human Revolution.

I really enjoyed Human Revolution as well, I even liked the boss fights. I just thought that the first two Deus Ex games were a little better overall.

I bounced off Mankind Divided after about 10 hours.

What didn't you like about it that made you stop playing?

14 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Whatever, I've probably been gaming longer and play more games than anyone else here. ;)

That may be so, but I don’t believe he said he only ever plays games on a Switch, and the sheer number of games that you listed was just perfect old school Phaseknox, which is something I totally forgot about. 

14 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I really enjoyed Human Revolution as well, I even liked the boss fights. I just thought that the first two Deus Ex games were a little better overall.

What didn't you like about it that made you stop playing?

HR felt like a puzzle game with multiple potential solutions. 

The beginning of Mankind Divided was linear as well. However, it became a pseudo-open world that felt like a mishmash of puzzles to solve, and ones I couldn’t yet because I hadn’t earned the solution yet on the skill tree. And it didn’t do a good job at letting the player know which were which. I just got frustrated too many times trying to go somewhere that I actually had no tools that would get me their (yet). 

20 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I don’t believe he said he only ever plays games on a Switch

I thought that he said that the Switch is all that he currently plays games on, but perhaps I misunderstood.

20 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

the sheer number of games that you listed was just perfect old school Phaseknox, which is something I totally forgot about. 

The reason why I sometimes do long game lists is to show that there's a lot more out there than just the really big and popular games that a lot of people tend to primarily focus on. The less popular/well known games out there often get forgotten and/or overlooked, so I like to include them on lists of games that I'm sharing to maybe bring them to the attention of people who might be interested in them but perhaps overlooked them or didn't even know that they existed. I sometimes see lists of games that people recommend, and I often come across ones that I forgot about or that I didn't know about. There's a lot of games out there, and it's not always easy to keep up with them all.

6 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

HR felt like a puzzle game with multiple potential solutions. 

The beginning of Mankind Divided was linear as well. However, it became a pseudo-open world that felt like a mishmash of puzzles to solve, and ones I couldn’t yet because I hadn’t earned the solution yet on the skill tree. And it didn’t do a good job at letting the player know which were which. I just got frustrated too many times trying to go somewhere that I actually had no tools that would get me their (yet). 

That's disappointing to hear.

9 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

The reason why I sometimes do long game lists is to show that there's a lot more out there than just the really big and popular games that a lot of people tend to primarily focus on. The less popular/well known games out there often get forgotten and/or overlooked, so I like to include them on lists of games that I'm sharing to maybe bring them to the attention of people who might be interested in them but perhaps overlooked them or didn't even know that they existed. I sometimes see lists of games that people recommend, and I often come across ones that I forgot about or that I didn't know about. There's a lot of games out there, and it's not always easy to keep up with them all.

I understand, but it is so easy search games with the resources available today that listing 30 games that a random person happens to like is essentially meaningless. 

On 7/5/2019 at 5:13 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Except for the boss fights, I really enjoyed Human Revolution.  I bounced off Mankind Divided after about 10 hours.

I got it free with PS+ and I've tried to get through the tutorial stages three times now and I just turn it off. There's seemingly so much shit to learn, for some reason I get overwhelmed and annoyed and just quit.