Incredibles 2 (open spoilers discussion)

So, I've really got mixed feelings on this one. As a fun crowd pleaser, it was an A+. But man, was this movie ever sequelly. It was a 100% rehash of the first movie. Same exact plot twists and everything. But at the same time, I had so much fun watching it, and Brad Bird might be the best action director working now. Talk about fun. Loved spending time with these characters again, loved almost everything, just wish they had tried to be a little more daring with the story. That whole line of "well, I had to wait until I had the perfect story to tell" narrative is complete and total bullshit. This was simply an excuse to get these characters in action again. Nothing more. And I think the ONLY reason it takes place immediately after the first is so that Jack Jack can still be a baby. And Edna Mode served no purpose in this movie whatsoever, other than to be Edna Mode, who admittedly, is awesome.

It's weird to think that the entire MCU universe of films exists in the gap between the first incredibles and this one. That's how much the superhero movie landscape has changed.

Yeah I liked this a lot, but it’s really trying to have its cake and eat it, too. It’s superficially fun, which is totally fine, but I think its underlying message is almost completely kneecapped by what the characters do, the ultimate outcome of the story, and the medium itself. 

“Hey, people don’t trust the government these days and screens sure are potentially harmful. But the problems here are solved by the laws changing almost magically and let’s ignore the fact that you probably already preordered the digital version of this for your kids to watch on a tablet.”

The movie literally repeats itself in the movie. Even to the point of large moving vehicle just barely smashes into large building. 

And the movie goes out of the way to subvert female tropes only to go GOTCHA! at the end. The resolution, and accompanying villain, was rather weak and uninspired. 

It was more of a crowd-pleaser than the first and a lot of fun, but it's not on the level of the first. Still, if you're not super tight on money, I'd recommend watching it in theaters; just know that there's not really the same kind of subtext that the first one had. 

However, that short before the movie was FUCKING FANTASTIC. It's one of my favorite Pixar shorts.

Seriously, who didn't see the bad guy coming from the very second she appeared on the screen. I figured it was so obvious that they were just playing with us, but nope.

I also didn't like the plane showdown. Are we really supposed to believe that depriving elastigirls oxygen for a minute would render her useless? And the evil sister lady was simply making the plane go up to avoid her? Uh, she can stretch, just stretch out and punch her. I didn't like that segment at all.

I agree that the short before the movie was great.

I hate that the story was so lazy in this one, because there was so much about it that I absolutely loved. I think I just need to accept it for what it is. I'm really hoping for an Incredibles 3. I don't care if it's lazy. Just give me more action and fun.

Just now, ort said:

Seriously, who didn't see the bad guy coming from the very second she appeared on the screen. I figured it was so obvious that they were just playing with us, but nope.

I also didn't like the plane showdown. Are we really supposed to believe that depriving elastigirls oxygen for a minute would render her useless? And the evil sister lady was simply making the plane go up to avoid her? Uh, she can stretch, just stretch out and punch her. I didn't like that segment at all.

I thought it was the guy, tbh (revenge for not saving his dad or something like that, and he'd know exactly where Elasticgirl is), but I was in the ballpark.

I thought it would be one of them, I wasn't sure, but the way they made her look, like a half asleep stoner or something was just weird.

I mean, I actually thought that they wanted us to think it was one of them to throw us off, and was disappointed when that wasn't the case.

10 minutes ago, ort said:

I thought it would be one of them, I wasn't sure, but the way they made her look, like a half asleep stoner or something was just weird.

I mean, I actually thought that they wanted us to think it was one of them to throw us off, and was disappointed when that wasn't the case.

That made me less suspicious of her for some reason, like her brother looked too "squeaky clean" and was intentionally setting the heroes up. But being her instead of him wasn't a huge shocker considering where the suspicions looked to point. 

It's actually kind of weird that it ended up being a plot twist since the suspicions weren't subtle. Incredibles 1's villain, if you didn't catch the voice during that one Syndrome scene, was a pretty cool reveal. I didn't really buy the "make everyone super" motive too much since it didn't really seem that bad to me and not as important as "giant robot is kicking ass in the city," but the motivation to turn evil and go after supers in general was pretty well-realized.

I really enjoyed it. Everything with Jack Jack was hilarious. The action was really excellent and inventive. Sure, there were some things that were repetitious from the first film, but overall I still really enjoyed it.

I haven't really unpacked the themes of the film, because it certainly seems to say a lot at different times, and I'm not really sure it all comes together in a satisfying way.

43 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I need @sblfilms in here.

Unforuntately and through no fault of the film, I fell asleep like 25 minutes in when I watched it. Busy summer and I’m trying to close a deal on another theater and I’m sleeping like 3-4 hours a night.

Planning to take off a couple of days next week, may catch it then.

I was pretty down on it but I also saw it while sick which may have led me to be harsher on it than I normally would. It's definitely doesn't have that perfect screenplay that the first did and never really justifies its existence

I know some movie fans are complaining about Pixar making unnecessary sequels and unfortunately this is part of the problem.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, ort said:

there was never any question from the moment she stepped on screen you knew she was the villain 

Right, like I said, it felt so obvious I thought it was a fake lead on. Maybe they circled back around and did a double bluff. You thought it was so obvious there was no way she was actually the bad guy? Well, ha ha, we double fooled you!