Alabama woman loses unborn child after being shot, gets arrested; shooter goes free

The shooter was found to have acted in self defense, while the mother was the instigator  and persistent aggressor of the fight. Not sure the issue here.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

The shooter was found to have acted in self defense, while the mother was the instigator  and persistent aggressor of the fight. Not sure the issue here.

It doesn’t say what the mother did except that she instigated and continued the fight. It’s entirely possible this was a fist fight until the one woman pulled out a gun. But because her fetus died, she’s being charged with murder. I think that’s a clear example of over charging.

1 minute ago, SilentWorld said:

It doesn’t say what the mother did except that she instigated and continued the fight. It’s entirely possible this was a fist fight until the one woman pulled out a gun. But because her fetus died, she’s being charged with murder. I think that’s a clear example of over charging.

Many states have fetal murder laws.  Scott Peterson was charged with double homicide in California when he murdered his wife and unborn child.  In California.  I think he receive the death penalty. 

5 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

“She instigated and continued the fight” is the whole issue ;) She is being charged with manslaughter, not murder. The point is that her actions led to the death of the child.

1 minute ago, SilentWorld said:

Ok I misread I thought she was being charged with murder. I still think it’s absurd. Is there anywhere else in the WORLD where a pregnant woman would get charged with manslaughter for getting into a fistfight and losing her pregnancy? 

Most of Latin America, probably.

3 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

Ok I misread I thought she was being charged with murder. I still think it’s absurd. Is there anywhere else in the WORLD where a pregnant woman would get charged with manslaughter for getting into a fistfight and losing her pregnancy? 

Most of Europe until 15-20 years ago criminalized harming unborn children, with the exception abortion. But as the push for personhood laws began, many countries stripped all protections of unborn children from their laws to stop what they viewed as a back door into recriminalizing abortion. 

If a person walked up to a pregnant woman and punched her in the stomach causing the fetus to die, should they only be charged with a simple assault?

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Most of Europe until 15-20 years ago criminalized harming unborn children, with the exception abortion. But as the push for personhood laws began, many countries stripped all protections of unborn children from their laws to stop what they viewed as a back door into recriminalizing abortion. 

If a person walked up to a pregnant woman and punched her in the stomach causing the fetus to die, should they only be charged with a simple assault?

yEs beCAUse iT Is jUSt a bUncH of CElLs

Mocking-Spongebob.jpg

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A fetus at different stages has different so called rights just like a person born has different rights (and privileges!) depending on age.

And different rights depending on whether the mother wants the child or not.

3 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

I would be very surprised if there’s even a single example of a woman in Western Europe 20+ years ago being charged with manslaughter because someone else punched her/shot her etc in the stomach. 

It isn’t a particularly common occurrence, and prosecutions are even more rare. Most often it happens in DV cases which practically never get prosecuted because DV victims rarely will testify against their partner/family member. The situations most likely to be prosecuted were things like DUI crashes that caused a miscarriage.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Nobody is, Apoc.

Who is Apoc and whats wrong with you?

and

44 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

yEs beCAUse iT Is jUSt a bUncH of CElLs

Mocking-Spongebob.jpg

This guy seems to be. All through this thread he's making the argument that if abortion is legal it's not murder. Its fucking ridiculous. Like your opinions on the border. 

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Yes.

Always be you, my friend :p

5 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Who is Apoc and whats wrong with you?

and

This guy seems to be. All through this thread he's making the argument that if abortion is legal it's not murder. Its fucking ridiculous. Like your opinions on the border. 

I am pretty sure Mclumber is just making a joke, but I could be misreading him.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/marshae-jones-alabama-woman-indicted-for-death-of-her-fetus-won-t-be-prosecuted/ar-AADOcXc?ocid=AMZN

An Alabama prosecutor announced Wednesday that she will not prosecute Marshae Jones, the Alabama woman charged in the death of her fetus after she was shot in the stomach. "There are no winners in this case, only losers in the sad ordeal," Jefferson County District Attorney Lynneice Washington said at a press conference.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:09 PM, SilentWorld said:

Yeah, but it's no different in circumstances where some guy steals a pen from a bank, ,runs before a cop shows up, the cop pulls his gun and accidentally shoots another cop. The guy who stole the pen will most likely be charged with murder. Our justice system is so, um, justice-like.