Topic: spanking your child

johnny

On Spanking  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you/Do you spank your child?

2. 2. Are you opposed to other people spanking their children?

15 hours ago, Rachel said:

I’m calling CPS child abuser 

Have at it... Lol..truth be told I didnt punish nearly as much as my father did me..

Its either me correcting their bad behavior with controlled spanking (u know fake anger).. or they grow up failing to behave and victimize someone who doesnt deserve it or get themselves killed for not respecting authority... teachers have enough on their plate without my kids adding to their difficulties...

there is a significant difference between a spanking and actually beating a child.. punching, bruising or going Good Will Hunting on them is definitely abuse and I hate people like that as well..

truth be told worst thing i do/did when punishing the kids was the lectures... listening to the why theyre getting punished seemed to be worse than anything else.... 

I've never had to in our household on the two girls, but the boy (age 8)..I've had to bust out the open handed palm to ass slap a couple times when other methods wouldn't work.

I think the last time was about a month ago when he did a side kick to his one year older sister during an argument.  He's currently a Blue Belt (somewhere in the middle of the belt spectrum) and his kicks and strikes are starting to be able to do some damage and it's been made clear through his teachers at the Karate Dojo and us that he's never to strike his older sisters.  

Every kid is different  (i got the belt now and then when I was a kid, but I can barely remember it...so it didn't seem to make much of a long lasting impression on me)   

One thought though...in our case....it seems the spankings don't necessarily drive better long term behavior, but in the moment helps the kid get through the short term outburst like a hard reset.  I dislike having to do it, but you can see immediate results in our case.  It seems akin to slpapping a hysterical person to break them out of the  fit or throwing cold water on someone to sober them up.

I feel that parents in the old days relied to heavily on spanking without building other options.   It's just best if you use all the tools at your disposal for parenting.   One thing that seemingly helped us in our case was not letting the kids see any TV in their first couple years and even now we have just one TV in the house in my Rec/Room and watching is limited for them to an hour a day.  Seems like a lot of issues these days are centered around cell phones, tablets and TV and constant screentime during early childhood..