Writer E. Jean Carroll accuses Trump of rape

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/president-donald-trump-faces-new-rape-accusation.html

When Carroll meets Donald Trump in Bergdorf Goodman, the encounter starts as a friendly one. Trump recognizes her as “that advice lady”; Carroll recognizes him as “that real-estate tycoon.” Trump tells Carroll that he’s there to buy a gift for “a girl,” and though we don’t learn the identity of this mystery woman, Carroll places the ensuing incident in late 1995 or early 1996, during which time Trump was married to Marla Maples. When Trump asks Carroll to advise him on what to buy, she agrees, and the two eventually make their way to the lingerie section. Trump suggests a lace bodysuit and encourages Carroll to try it on; she, deflecting, jokingly suggests that he try it on instead. After they reach the dressing rooms, events turn violent. In Carroll’s account, Trump shoves her against a wall inside a dressing room, pulls down her tights, and, “forcing his fingers around my private area, thrusts his penis halfway — or completely, I’m not certain — inside me.”

Carroll is now at least the 16th woman to accuse Donald Trump of sexual misconduct and the 14th to accuse Moonves of similar offenses. The incidents, which date from the 1990s, are highly specific and related with dark humor. Moonves is compared by Carroll to an octopus, and Trump, she writes, “yammers about himself like he’s Alexander the Great ready to loot Babylon.” But she is clear, sometimes clinical, about the violence she experienced. Moonves frantically kisses and gropes her in a hotel elevator moments after she finished interviewing him for an article. The Trump story is even darker.

Carroll says that she disclosed the Trump incident to two friends at the time. One, whom Carroll describes as “a journalist, magazine writer, correspondent on the TV morning shows, author of many books, etc.,” told her to go to the police: “‘He raped you,’ she kept repeating when I called her. ‘He raped you. Go to the police! I’ll go with you. We’ll go together.’” The other, who is also a journalist, was sympathetically cautious: “‘Tell no one. Forget it! He has 200 lawyers. He’ll bury you.’” Carroll writes that the Donna Karan coat-dress she wore that day “still hangs on the back of my closet door.” She wore it for the first time since the attack for her portrait session with New York for the cover, above.

D9mV-rEWsAEHi3a.jpg

I wonder what would have made this story get more traction, or if we're so doomed that nothing really matters anymore.

Did it really matter that this was in the New Yorker Magazine, and not the Times or the Post? 

She certainly seems credible enough.

Is the problem that it was 20 years ago?

Or is Trump being a rapist just a thing we all either know or reject?

19 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I wonder what would have made this story get more traction, or if we're so doomed that nothing really matters anymore.

Did it really matter that this was in the New Yorker Magazine, and not the Times or the Post? 

If no one cared one bit about the other 19 women (or whatever it was) why would they care about this one? The Republican base has proven they don't care. All of their moral highroading through the years has been 100% proven to be complete and total horseshit. They don't actually care about any of it. They are just playing a game and Trump has proven it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The teachings of Christ and Donald Trump are in direct opposition to each other. They do not overlap. You cannot be for both and have even a sliver of integrity.

48 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Yes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1