Oregon Gov. Sends Police After GOP Senators Who Fled Capitol To Protest Cap And Trade Bill

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/politics/gov-brown-authorizes-oregon-state-police-to-round-up-walkout-gop-senators/283-3a3d22d5-7a51-424c-8fe1-1645b8516306

"It is absolutely unacceptable that the Senate Republicans would turn their back on their constituents, who they are honor-bound to represent here in this building," she said. "They need to return and do the jobs they were elected to do.”

In an awkward opening of the Senate, President Peter Courtney called it the "saddest day of my legislative life," to ask Brown to use troopers to find the senators. The Thursday Senate session began with only Democrats answering roll call.

Senate Republicans walked out in protest over a cap-and-trade bill that pushes Oregonians to lower pollution by ditching fossil fuel engines.

Democrats in Oregon control both the House and the Senate. The GOP has used the walkouts as a way to slow the legislative process.

The missing legislators will be fined $500 for each floor session they miss starting Friday, with the money taken from salary or per diem.

Brown said Wednesday she was willing to extend the legislative session and mobilize state police if Senate Republicans followed through with a threat to block the vote on the sweeping climate plan.

This happened before, and look what the compromise was:

Republicans walked out of the Senate earlier this session in protest of a school funding tax package, denying the chamber enough lawmakers to continue with a vote. The sergeant-at-arms of the Oregon Senate was ordered to search the Capitol for Republican senators who were refusing to attend. The standoff lasted four days, until the governor struck a deal to table legislation on gun control and vaccine requirements.

What's with Republican opposition to vaccine requirements? I specifically remember Engel arguing that liberals were anti-vaccine.

10 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/politics/gov-brown-authorizes-oregon-state-police-to-round-up-walkout-gop-senators/283-3a3d22d5-7a51-424c-8fe1-1645b8516306

This happened before, and look what the compromise was:

What's with Republican opposition to vaccine requirements? I specifically remember Engel arguing that liberals were anti-vaccine.

Liberals in Oregon are anti-vax, at least compared to conservatives I've found.  They are also against fluoride in the drinking water.  Portland is one of only a few large cities nationwide that doesn't put fluoride in the water, because of (reasons). 

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Liberals in Oregon are anti-vax, at least compared to conservatives I've found.  They are also against fluoride in the drinking water.  Portland is one of only a few large cities nationwide that doesn't put fluoride in the water, because of (reasons). 

So why did Republicans leave in protest and came back once vaccine requirements were off the table? Liberals voting in GOP over there?

10 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

So why did Republicans leave in protest and came back once vaccine requirements were off the table? Liberals voting in GOP over there?

Republicans don't mind vaccines, they just don't want to be told/forced to get them, I suppose. 

28 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Republicans don't mind vaccines, they just don't want to be told/forced to get them, I suppose. 

24 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Well they're wrong too

The only people I see online who oppose it are conservatives. :shrug: 

So they're doubly wrong. I'm sure some weird liberals don't as well -- like Jill Stein followers -- but the Alex Jones "Hillary murdered everyone who has ever died" morons are a big contingent of the Republican Party.

18 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The only people I see online who oppose it are conservatives. :shrug: 

So they're doubly wrong. I'm sure some weird liberals don't as well -- like Jill Stein followers -- but the Alex Jones "Hillary murdered everyone who has ever died" morons are a big contingent of the Republican Party.

Three states have ended non-medical vaccine exemptions, California, West Virginia, and Mississippi. There is no political ideology that owns anti or pro vaccine positions. It is a bizarre issue.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2019/06/oregon-republican-senator-issues-threat-to-state-troopers.html

Tensions were already smoldering in the Oregon Senate Wednesday, when Sen. Brian Boquist, R-Dallas, poured gasoline on the situation, suggesting he would shoot and potentially kill any state trooper sent to haul him unwillingly back to the Capitol.

4 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2019/06/oregon-republican-senator-issues-threat-to-state-troopers.html

Tensions were already smoldering in the Oregon Senate Wednesday, when Sen. Brian Boquist, R-Dallas, poured gasoline on the situation, suggesting he would shoot and potentially kill any state trooper sent to haul him unwillingly back to the Capitol.

Send a few seals, see how brave he really is.

This is a meme that my aunt, who lives in Oregon, posted to Facebook:

WW3OE3V.jpg

When I asked her about which constitutional rights were in danger, my uncle responded that he and many others in Oregon feel like the Democratic majority have been abusing their position and pushing a lot of things through as emergency measures, which don't require a public vote. So they see this as a protest by the Republicans.

Their tactics are actually effective. 

Based on history, the only effective counter is brute force by the state.

This is what the right would do without hesitation.

Today's left needs to realize that's no matter how big your protest, without the implicit (or explicit!) threat of force no one cares. You may have the right to protest, but without force you won't be heard.

Not to give them any credit, but I think that Oregon_GOP tweet is meant to be sarcastic. There's been a bunch of reports about militia groups protecting the republican senators and the government building being closed due to threats, and that Tweet is supposed to be making fun of the democrats by referring to peaceful protesters as a "heavily armed militia." They just did a real poor job of it.

I really would like someone to ask Biden how this squares with the idea he seems to be basing his entire campaign on--that there's basically nothing fundamentally wrong with the Republican party outside of Trump himself. I suspect he'd just kind of spit out a word salad about how our core values are stronger than our differences and we just need to come to the table and understand each other.

As futile as this walkout is by these Senators, I can see their point of view.  This bill is very unpopular in their districts, and could lead to job losses for their constituents.  Even if the state could force a recall of all of these politicians who went into hiding, I'm willing to bet that most (or all) of them would be reelected in a landslide, because they were sticking up for their voters. 

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

As futile as this walkout is by these Senators, I can see their point of view.  This bill is very unpopular in their districts, and could lead to job losses for their constituents.  Even if the state could force a recall of all of these politicians who went into hiding, I'm willing to bet that most (or all) of them would be reelected in a landslide, because they were sticking up for their voters. 

I mean, they might also be re-elected if they illegal performed a coup, but that doesn't matter.

A rise in extreme weather is already leading to job losses now, with an increase in severe weather, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc. hurting crops and destroying businesses, but let's talk about how bad it might get by having a cleaner world where that doesn't happen with the same frequency.

8 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

I really would like someone to ask Biden how this squares with the idea he seems to be basing his entire campaign on--that there's basically nothing fundamentally wrong with the Republican party outside of Trump himself. I suspect he'd just kind of spit out a word salad about how our core values are stronger than our differences and we just need to come to the table and understand each other.

You his speech writer?

On 6/23/2019 at 11:11 AM, thewhyteboar said:

Again, how is this party any different from a terrorist organization?

This was a mislabeled picture. The actual crowd they were referencing was much smaller.

Still a stupid comment by the Oregon GOP.

5 minutes ago, Link200 said:

I wont argue with that. I am just pointing out that the Oregon GOP lied on top of the stupidity. The picture they used was taken something like a week earlier.

Is there a picture of the armed militia members on the steps of the Capitol building?