Pixar's Soul Trailer and Discussion Thread (Streaming on Disney+ Christmas Day)

1 minute ago, Pikachu said:

Pete Docter is directing, so it should be pretty good.

omgomgomgomgogmogmogmgmogmogmgomgmomogmogomgomogmogomgomogmogomomogmogomgomogmopgomgomogmogomgomogomogmogmogomgomogmogomgomogmogomogmogoogmogomogmo0gomgomogm9gomgomogmgomgom9g9mogo9mogomgomjo0gomgomogomgomogomgomogmogomogmogomgomogmogomgo1+1=2

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Two non-sequels in the pipeline, both next year! I want to know who's directing this.

On that note, lol:

Good Dinosaur is the most underwhelming original. First Cars was way worse than Brave as well.

8 minutes ago, ort said:

Good Dinosaur is the most underwhelming original. First Cars was way worse than Brave as well.

I actually put Brave below Cars. Cars had some endearing moments and fun lines; Brave felt restricted (I thought for so long that the story would expand further from the castle) and forgettable.

Haven't seen Good Dinosaur.

• 2 months later...

Directed by two-time Academy Award®-winner Pete Docter, co-directed by Kemp Powers and produced by Academy Award®-nominee Dana Murray, Disney and Pixar’s “Soul” opens in theaters on June 19, 2020. According to Docter, the idea for the story is 23 years in the making. “It started with my son—he’s 23 now—but the instant he was born, he already had a personality,” says Docter. “Where did that come from? I thought your personality developed through your interaction with the world. And yet, it was pretty clear that we’re all born with a very unique, specific sense of who we are.”

“Soul” introduces Joe Gardner, a middle-school band teacher whose true passion is playing jazz. “I think Joe is having that crisis that all artists have,” says Powers. “He’s increasingly feeling like his lifelong dream of being a jazz musician is not going to pan out and he’s asking himself ‘Why am I here? What am I meant to be doing?’ Joe personifies those questions.”

In the film, just when Joe thinks his dream might be in reach, a single unexpected step sends him to a fantastical place where he’s is forced to think again about what it truly means to have soul. That’s where he meets and ultimately teams up with 22, a soul who doesn’t think life on Earth is all it’s cracked up to be. Jamie Foxx lends his voice to Joe, while Tina Fey voices 22. “The comedy comes naturally,” says Murray. “But the subtle emotion that reveals the truth to the characters is really something special.” 

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

is this another coincidental film where the main character is black but spends most of the film as something else? (a frog, a soul, a pigeon?)..

coco it up? it sounds like it will be great.

also, agree with Brave being below Cars.. not sure if good dino is better.

Cars 2 is still the worst

Brave is probably worse than Cars, but I literally haven’t seen Cars since theaters. I do think the hatred for it is overblown.

The Good Dinosaur is actually pretty great. It’s a simpler story than other Pixar movies, and not generally groundbreaking, but it’s told effectively.

I do love how this movie incorporates different animation styles in the way that Inside Out did.

On 3/14/2020 at 7:50 PM, sexy_shapiro said:

Brave is probably worse than Cars, but I literally haven’t seen Cars since theaters. I do think the hatred for it is overblown.

The Good Dinosaur is actually pretty great. It’s a simpler story than other Pixar movies, and not generally groundbreaking, but it’s told effectively.

I do love how this movie incorporates different animation styles in the way that Inside Out did.

I agree. I haven't seen either Brave or Cars in ages, but I remember thinking Brave was actually worse despite me being really hyped for it. The movie having multiple directors felt evident in the film, and it felt strangely small in scope. Cars at least felt more focused even though its script was too on-the-nose compared to every Pixar movie that came after it until Cars 2.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...