Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CitizenVectron

Mitch "I Deserve to Die" McConnell says granting statehood to DC and Puerto Rico would be "full bore Socialism."

Recommended Posts

To Republicans, socialism is just anything they don't like. Stub your toe? Socialism. Burn your toast? Socialism. Clog your toilet? Socialism. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"God, they want four new Democratic Senators. Not fair and not right. BTW, I love that there are two Dakotas for no reason."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real reason is that they don't want to add more stars to the flag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:

How do you had more stars to the flag?

By being an idiot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem granting statehood to Puerto Rico, but you can gtfo of here with this DC statehood nonsense.  I oppose it on several grounds, but mostly because it would wreck the 23rd Amendment, and none of the proposals for DC statehood try and fix this problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I have no problem granting statehood to Puerto Rico, but you can gtfo of here with this DC statehood nonsense.  I oppose it on several grounds, but mostly because it would wreck the 23rd Amendment, and none of the proposals for DC statehood try and fix this problem. 

 

And if you really want to do a non-statehood fix, you can just make the populated area of D.C. part of Maryland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I have no problem granting statehood to Puerto Rico, but you can gtfo of here with this DC statehood nonsense.  I oppose it on several grounds, but mostly because it would wreck the 23rd Amendment, and none of the proposals for DC statehood try and fix this problem. 

Shrink the district to the WH, Congress, scotus, and national Mall/monuments. It would have no permeant population, by law, and homeless could be given citizenship as citizens of the District State, (or they could be given homes in the District State as part of a housing first anti-homeless initiative) so no electors would be able to meet in the district to perform duties as directed by the twelfth amendment.

 

No residents, no electors, no problem.

 

Hell, per the DC code (which I just looked up while searching for the qualifications of presidential electors) you have to be a bona fide resident of the district for a period of 3 years immediately preceding the date of the presidential election. So no residents means no qualified electors, means no vote for president.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CitizenVectron said:

 

And if you really want to do a non-statehood fix, you can just make the populated area of D.C. part of Maryland. 

Neither DC nor Maryland want this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Shrink the district to the WH, Congress, scotus, and national Mall/monuments. It would have no permeant population, by law, and homeless could be given citizenship as citizens of the District State, (or they could be given homes in the District State as part of a housing first anti-homeless initiative) so no electors would be able to meet in the district to perform duties as directed by the twelfth amendment.

 

No residents, no electors, no problem.

 

Hell, per the DC code (which I just looked up while searching for the qualifications of presidential electors) you have to be a bona fide resident of the district for a period of 3 years immediately preceding the date of the presidential election. So no residents means no qualified electors, means no vote for president.

 

Your plan seems sketchy, and would be challenged in court.  What would end up happening is the whole statehood would get reversed by the Supreme Court because this plan doesn't align with the spirit of the 12th or 23rd amendment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

 

Your plan seems sketchy, and would be challenged in court.  What would end up happening is the whole statehood would get reversed by the Supreme Court because this plan doesn't align with the spirit of the 12th or 23rd amendment. 

 

If they're taxed but have no voting representative, that would go against the spirit of the Constitution top to bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's kinda funny, since the GOP party platform says:

Quote

We support the right of the United States citizens of Puerto Rico to be admitted to the Union as a fully sovereign state. We further recognize the historic significance of the 2012 local referendum in which a 54 percent majority voted to end Puerto Rico’s current status as a U.S. territory, and 61 percent chose statehood over options for sovereign nationhood. We support the federally sponsored political status referendum authorized and funded by an Act of Congress in 2014 to ascertain the aspirations of the people of Puerto Rico. Once the 2012 local vote for statehood is ratified, Congress should approve an enabling act with terms for Puerto Rico’s future admission as the 51st state of the Union. 

 

It doesn't support Statehood for DC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

 

Your plan seems sketchy, and would be challenged in court.  What would end up happening is the whole statehood would get reversed by the Supreme Court because this plan doesn't align with the spirit of the 12th or 23rd amendment. 

How so? Is it impossible to make a state out of the east side of the anacostia? The federal district can be split, it's a matter of how.

 

Congress has the power to set the size and laws of the federal district. Congress has the power to admit states to the union (with consent of the state to be/from). Maryland would have to accept the return of any portion of the district back to its state. If Maryland won't do that, what other choice is there?

 

Honestly if they wanted to tip the scales, and keep somewhat with history, separate the district into historical Washington city (has the federal buildings, and has permenent residents) then immediately and concurrently, and with the consent of Maryland, retrocede the remainder of the district to Maryland, then make a state of the returned portion of Maryland from the now rejoined Maryland. This not only satisfies the nonsense of the 23rd and 12th amendments you bring up, but is perfectly legal. So this not only gives the vast majority of DC statehood(including two senators and a rep), but allows it to keep it's three electoral votes for presidential elections per the 23rd. You know what, this sounds pretty good to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does McConnell have children? 

 

I can't imagine him fathering any kids because he seems like a guy who doesn't want to do ANYTHING.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...